• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Czardas/Csardas - not the one by Monti

I was told of a Czardas for violin and piano, and it came highly recommended by a violinist I met by chance. He told me the name of the composer, but I didn’t write it down, so I don’t know whether I’ll be able to identity it, enabling me to buy the music.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Looking on the web, you’d think only one Czardas had ever been composed.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

It wasn't an arrangement of the Czardas from Kalman's Countess Maritza was it, Alpie?

Here's the version for fiddle and orchestra:

Czardas from Emmerich Kalman's operetta "Countess Maritza". New Year Concert at Poznan University Hall, Poznan, Poland. Marcin Sompolinski - conductor.Find m...
    Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 28-11-18, 19:34.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Sándor Veress? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7mJVKOkgRY

Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A1ndor_Veress
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Ooh! That's a better piece than my Kalman offering!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I’ll pass these on to my violinist, but I don’t think either is the one. Please keep suggestions coming.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Gustave Hille?

No.3 from Hungarian Skethes, Op.23 by Gustav Hille. The Czardas aims to recreate the fire and passion of traditional Hungarian folk-dance music.

(I've also found mention of a Csardas by Caludi - the pseudonym of violinist Chretien Rogister - which was popular with Mantovani, although he doesn't seem to have recorded it, it's not on youTube, and whenever I type in "Caludi" to my search engine, it keeps asking me if I meant "Claudio"! )

Comment

Working...
            X