• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Sun 10 July - Falla: Nights in the Gardens of Spain

Sunday, 5pm

"As well as the many native Spanish influences that shaped the music, Falla was also guided by the French Impressionists, Debussy and Ravel, so that his three movement portrait has a telling atmospheric quality. It also demonstrates many of the Spanish influences taken from the Arab world.

Stephen Johnson unpicks the work with playing and comment from the Lisbon born pianist Artur Pizarro." With the BBC Concert Orchestra conducted by Barry Wordsworth.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Chris Newman
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Thank you for the heads up, ff. I remember a lovely dreamy performance by Joaquín Achúcarro in the 60s with Sir Adrian Boult at Dorking when I was a teenager. Later it was the first work I ever bought on a CD....with Alicia de Larrocha. Gorgeous piece.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

and, as you readers know, this was on the Channel 4 testcard in 1986.

3VS

Comment

• Chris Newman
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

An interesting programme drawing on Debussy, Ravel and Zarzuela (in passing) as influences and composers influenced. Arthur Pizzaro contributed more than just performing examples and the work. Good to see/hear (I did watch the programme) Barry Wordsworth back on Radio 3.
        Which theatre do they use....Golders Green Hippodrome?

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

Did Falla borrow the string tremelo idea from Mahler symphony no.3 ?

Comment

• Chris Newman
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
            Did Falla borrow the string tremelo idea from Mahler symphony no.3 ?
            I imagine it was more likely from guitar playing or an attempt to imitate the sound of guitar tremolo: eg in works by Tarrega.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
              I imagine it was more likely from guitar playing or an attempt to imitate the sound of guitar tremolo: eg in works by Tarrega.
              E.g. Recuerdos de la Alhambra, here played by Narciso Yepes (who is clearly cheating by having far too many strings )
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                E.g. Recuerdos de la Alhambra, here played by Narciso Yepes (who is clearly cheating by having far too many strings )
                I have that Yepes recording! I've always loved Falla's music - he's inFallable

Comment

• johnb
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                  Or from flamenco (the inspiration for Tarrega's famous tremolo study). Paco Pena playing Allegrias

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    who is clearly cheating by having far too many strings )
                    He's actually playing the normal fingering, on the top six strings - he doesn't appear to touch the bottom four. I'm actually not sure what notes the bottom four strings were tuned to on Yepes' guitar (a Ramirez, which he started to play in 1963) - does anybody know? The tremolo is achieved by playing ring-middle-index on the same string very rapidly with the right hand, while the thumb picks out the bass accompaniment. Flamenco guitarists have a 4-finger tremolo which sounds even faster - have a listen to Paco Peña or Paco de Lucía. The technical challenges in this piece are an even tremolo and the grace notes - I wave my left hand little finger hopefully

Rob C was at it again today, playing a track from Milos's album and mangling Tárrega's name as per normal. Sorry to go on about it but it's not difficult.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Having just done a little further investigation, it appears Yepes liked the additional resonances that his 10-string produced in other strings when fretted notes were struck. But it didn't catch on.

Comment

• traveller

Hello All,

Ive found my way here on a quest to fınd a way to download some DM shows for lıstenıng to whılst travellıng the world on a bıcycle.

Because ım out of the UK ıt ıs off course not possıble to download or even lısten to the show any more.

If anyone happens to have the show ın MP3, ıd really apprecıate the upload.....ım partıcularly ınterested ın the numerous shows coverıng Dvorak, and also any show lookıng at sacred musıc (lıke the recent show on Psalms).

any help would be very welcome.

thankyou for readıng,

Bıll

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Hello, traveller - and welcome, even if it's only for a brief stay (keep us in touch).

Can I leave it to people to PM traveller if they have any thoughts?

Comment

• traveller

hı french frank,

ım on a week rest stop at the moment, so ıll be sure to be lookıng around the forum whıle there is an internet connectıon :-)

Yours, hopıng to hear ın a PM,
                            Bill

Comment

• traveller

Any takers ? :-)

Surely someone wouldnt mind setting a few DM shows going on their computer and recordıng the stero output with a program like Soundcapture would they :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X