X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Paul Kletzki

Recently I mentioned Kletzki in another thread so I wondered if anyone else shares my affection for his recordings from EMI mostly with the Philharmonia and RPO and on Decca with the SRO as successor to Ansermet, and his Beethoven cycle with the CPO on Supraphon.
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Recently I mentioned Kletzki in another thread so I wondered if anyone else shares my affection for his recordings from EMI mostly with the Philharmonia and RPO and on Decca with the SRO as successor to Ansermet, and his Beethoven cycle with the CPO on Supraphon.
    I also mentioned in the thread that you referenced that I have the Beethoven cycle, with the Czech PO, which I enjoy very much, particularly the Eroica. I had recently heard a live Kletzki performance with the Israel PO of Mahler 1, but the muffled mono sound was a serious impediment. I know that you recommended the Philharmonia Pathetique, and other recommendations would be appreciate other recommendations

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Kletzki was a name I frequently encountered in my impecunious teenage record-buying days - somehow there was always an alternative version at a cheaper price, or his recordings weren't in stock in the shops, so I have ended up with none of his recordings in my collection, and no experience of his conducting that I can remember.

Many of his recordings are YouTubable, so I shall start there for an exploration of his work - and, who knows, end up buying some of his CDs now, in my impecunious @&%*-age years.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
        • Dec 2010

yes, yes, and particularly yes.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
          yes, yes, and particularly yes.
          I have banged on about his recordings on here for years and I thought there would be a thread or two out there - unfortunately the vast majority of his EMI recordings are nla though some linger on Testament .

I should recommend the following

R-k - Scheherazade - a stalwart of the CfP catalogue with vintage Philharmonia playing and Hugh Bean in the solos

Tchaikovsky Pathetique - fab - recently seem on Medici Label but may have been deleted could with a cracking Oistrakh account of the violin concerto

Possibly available second hand but never cheap when I have seen it a 2 CD Profile EMI set from the early 1990s including a Sibelius 2 to make your hair stand on end from 1955 and a lovely Mahler 4 with Emmy Loose superb in the finale.

Sibelius 1 and 3 on Testament

Borodin 2 and Manfred on Testament - annoyingly the Manfred is slightly cut but both are very good

Das Lied Von der Erde with DFD and Murray Dickie - DFD's first recording in the role I think and in fresh voice

Bloch Violin Concerto with Menuhin

The Great Conductors the Century 2 CD set is also good .

His Mahler 1 I am afraid is too heavily cut for me and annoyingly so considering how lovely some of the VPO's playing is .

The Supraphon Beethoven is good with a particularly lovely Pastoral.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            His earlier Mahler 1 with the IPO was similarly cut, once available on MFP.

The Manfred, though cut slightly, is a great recording, belying its years and a magnificent performance. His Rachmaninov 2 from the Late 60s with the SRO was one of the first recordings without cuts.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Great Prokofiev 5th!
              I'll have a trawl on Qobuz later....

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

There’s also an early Pollini recording of the Chopin PC1 with Philhamonia under Kletzki.

Comment

• Maclintick
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  I have banged on about his recordings on here for years and I thought there would be a thread or two out there - unfortunately the vast majority of his EMI recordings are nla though some linger on Testament .

I should recommend the following

R-k - Scheherazade - a stalwart of the CfP catalogue with vintage Philharmonia playing and Hugh Bean in the solos

Tchaikovsky Pathetique - fab - recently seem on Medici Label but may have been deleted could with a cracking Oistrakh account of the violin concerto

Possibly available second hand but never cheap when I have seen it a 2 CD Profile EMI set from the early 1990s including a Sibelius 2 to make your hair stand on end from 1955 and a lovely Mahler 4 with Emmy Loose superb in the finale.

Sibelius 1 and 3 on Testament

Borodin 2 and Manfred on Testament - annoyingly the Manfred is slightly cut but both are very good

Das Lied Von der Erde with DFD and Murray Dickie - DFD's first recording in the role I think and in fresh voice

Bloch Violin Concerto with Menuhin

The Great Conductors the Century 2 CD set is also good .

His Mahler 1 I am afraid is too heavily cut for me and annoyingly so considering how lovely some of the VPO's playing is .

The Supraphon Beethoven is good with a particularly lovely Pastoral.
                  Thanks Barbs & Cloughie. That classy HMV/Philharmonia "Scherehazade" yields very little to any recorded version IMHO, with, as you say, delectable solos from Hugh Bean. This and the Emmy Loose GM4 were excellent budget choices back in the days of studenty impecuniosity. Borodin 2 sounds well worth investigating on the strength of that colourful Rimsky-Korsakov, so thanks for the tip.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

There’s also an early Pollini recording of the Chopin PC1 with Philhamonia under Kletzki.
                    Ah, yes - I know that one (although it's years since I last heard it); but the Chopin Concertos don't exactly give much of an insight into a conductor's talents!
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Ah, yes - I know that one (although it's years since I last heard it); but the Chopin Concertos don't exactly give much of an insight into a conductor's talents!
                      True but it remains at the top of the tree .

Ah yes the Prokofiev 5 very good and last seen in EMI Red Line .

The SRO Rachmaninov records are very good and do not lay things on with a trowel.

I have read good reviews of. Schubert Unfinished with the RPO and early 1950s mono Mendelssohn Midsummer Night’s Dream with the Philharmonia I do not think either has ever been transferred to CD .

Shame that he was not given an Icon box.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        True but it remains at the top of the tree .

Ah yes the Prokofiev 5 very good and last seen in EMI Red Line .

The SRO Rachmaninov records are very good and do not lay things on with a trowel.

I have read good reviews of. Schubert Unfinished with the RPO and early 1950s mono Mendelssohn Midsummer Night’s Dream with the Philharmonia I do not think either has ever been transferred to CD .

Shame that he was not given an Icon box.
                        Absolutely or even better a bigger box of the complete EMI recordings! I think the MND has been issued on CD but on some strange label I ‘ve never heard of - maybe an out of copyright LP transfer! There is also a mono Mendelssohn Scottish c/w Calm Sea Ov. Both Mendelssohn recordings are available on downloads but no idea on their sources or qualities.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

I have just downloaded (from Deezer) his recording of Hindemith's Mathis der Maler (symphony) with the OSR to listen to:

I have the Bloch Violin concerto and Mahler Das Lied already mentioned, and must give them both another spin. The Bloch is a concerto that deserves to be more widely known (imho, of course!).

Comment

Working...
                          X