• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Yes to the Hymn of Jesus:

Composer: Gustav Theodore Holst (September 21, 1874 – May 25, 1934)Chorus: London Symphony ChorusOrchestra: London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Richard Hi...

Of the works that S_A mentions, Lenny Henry was very taken by the Ode to Death at a single hearing:

Composer: Gustav Theodore Holst (September 21, 1874 – May 25, 1934)Chorus: London Symphony ChorusOrchestra: City of London Sinfonia conducted by Richard Hick...

Others are available (for less than the cost of a single full-price CD!) in this 6 CD box:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      I'd say go for this one:

Lots of fine works in decent performances. including The Wandering Scholar and Ode to Death.
      Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Others are available (for less than the cost of a single full-price CD!) in this 6 CD box:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holst-Colle.../dp/B007QEHQY6
      SNAP!

(I mean - 6CDs for £14 including P&P!)

Pity they didn't include Savitri, though.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

SNAP!

The Aussie Eloquence option looks the best for Savitri.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          The Aussie Eloquence option looks the best for Savitri.

I'd "forgotten" that it was DECCA (?ARGO?) - explains why it wasn't in the EMI box!

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

SNAP!

Ordered, despite some duplications!

I'd "forgotten" that it was DECCA (?ARGO?) - explains why it wasn't in the EMI box!
            It's in this Decca 2CD set as well as the Australian Eloquence one Bryn mentions:
            British Music Collection - Gustav Holst. Decca: 4701912. Buy 2 Presto CDs or download online. Janet Baker (mezzo-soprano), Robert Tear (tenor), Thomas Hemsley (baritone), Osian Ellis (harp) Purcell Singers, English Chamber Orchestra, St Paul Chamber Orchestra, London Philharmonic Orchestra, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Grimethorpe Colliery Band, Imogen Holst, Christopher Hogwood, Adrian Boult,...

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Naxos 8.553696:
              Somerset Rhapsody / Beni Mora / Invocation / Fugal Overture / Egdon Heath / Hammersmith
              Chandos 9270:
              Double Concerto / Two Songs Without Words / Lyric Movement / Brook Green Suite / Fugal Concerto / St Paul's Suite

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                Naxos 8.553696:
                Somerset Rhapsody / Beni Mora / Invocation / Fugal Overture / Egdon Heath / Hammersmith
                Chandos 9270:
                Double Concerto / Two Songs Without Words / Lyric Movement / Brook Green Suite / Fugal Concerto / St Paul's Suite
                to the Naxos collection; I don't know the Chandos one.
                Any comments on the Naxos compilation that includes the Cotswold Symphony, which I don't know either?

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  to the Naxos collection; I don't know the Chandos one.
                  Any comments on the Naxos compilation that includes the Cotswold Symphony, which I don't know either?
                  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holst-Cotsw...2873155&sr=1-1
                  The Chandos is now, I've just discovered, CHAN 10948X. (Nicholas Ward, one of the soloists in the Double Concerto, is the brother of Hattie Bennett who is the controlling genius behind Music in Felixstowe. Nicholas frequently appears at local concerts, and it's a great privilege to be able to hear him 'live').

I have heard the Cotswold Symphony twice recently - somebody at Classic FM seems to like it - but I can't say that I was greatly impressed.

Other recommendable CDs relevant to this discussion...

Sanctuary Classics/Resonance RSN3006:
                  Holst Suites 1 and 2 and Hammersmith, together with RVW English Folk Song Suite and Toccata Marziale, played by Dennis Wicks and the London Wind Orchestra.

Hyperion CDA 67381/2:
                  Early chamber works performed by the Nash Ensemble

Double Decca 460 357-2:
                  Orchestral Works including the Oboe Concerto and Concerto Grosso and the Partita.
                  Last edited by LMcD; 22-11-18, 10:24.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

I guess all the recommendations given pretty much answer Silvestrioni's question to me, with the added benefits of researched recordings choices. Thanks to everybody: my round!

Comment

• silvestrione
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      I guess all the recommendations given pretty much answer Silvestrioni's question to me, with the added benefits of researched recordings choices. Thanks to everybody: my round!
                      Yes indeed, thanks to everyone, I've done some orders, and am looking forward to a feast of Holst!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Apparently, both Holst and RVW wrote their settings of Whitman's Dirge for two veterans in 1914, RVW later incorporating his into Dona Nobis Pacem.
                        Did something 'trigger' (no pun intended, given the imminent war) them at the same time, I wonder.
                        I like both settings very much: the RVW is particularly moving; the Holst deserves wider exposure (imho).

PS: I have just discovered that Weill set it too (along with three other Whitman poems). Included in Bostridge's recent CD with Pappano.
                        Last edited by Pulcinella; 23-11-18, 12:52. Reason: PS added.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                          • Jan 2014

I sang in Dona Nobis Pacem on Saturday, and went to an illustrated talk/lecture on RVW, WW1 and Shepherds of the Delectable Mountains on Tuesday. Together with the Holst / RVW BBC4 programme it set me roving around and I turned up, again, this clip of Hickox discussing the (marvellous) Sadlers Wells production of Pilgrims Progress:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S70g...BdFPllOPKK0y2H

Which brings me to the Tallis Fantasia - why, oh why will the BBC not repeat the RVW programme in this 1999 (pre iPlayer) series (all BBC forces - surely the rights costs to re-broadcast must be modest). It could easily contribute to their Arts output and displace two of those awful TOTP repeats.
                          Series details : https://www.paleycenter.org/collecti...1&item=T:71345

which had this wonderful performance of the Fantasia (of which you may well be aware) :
                          Vaughan Williams Fantasia on a theme of Thomas Tallis.The BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Andrew Davis at Gloucester Cathedral, where in 1910, it was pla...

I keep wondering if there is any way to get the BBC to broadcast it again! I would love to see this programme (must have missed it first time round) as well as the performance.....

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                            I sang in Dona Nobis Pacem on Saturday, and went to an illustrated talk/lecture on RVW, WW1 and Shepherds of the Delectable Mountains on Tuesday. Together with the Holst / RVW BBC4 programme it set me roving around and I turned up, again, this clip of Hickox discussing the (marvellous) Sadlers Wells production of Pilgrims Progress:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S70g...BdFPllOPKK0y2H

Which brings me to the Tallis Fantasia - why, oh why will the BBC not repeat the RVW programme in this 1999 (pre iPlayer) series (all BBC forces - surely the rights costs to re-broadcast must be modest). It could easily contribute to their Arts output and displace two of those awful TOTP repeats.
                            Series details : https://www.paleycenter.org/collecti...1&item=T:71345

which had this wonderful performance of the Fantasia (of which you may well be aware) :
                            Vaughan Williams Fantasia on a theme of Thomas Tallis.The BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Andrew Davis at Gloucester Cathedral, where in 1910, it was pla...

I keep wondering if there is any way to get the BBC to broadcast it again! I would love to see this programme (must have missed it first time round) as well as the performance.....
                            That Tallis Fantasia performance made it onto a BBC MM CD, as the filler to Belshazzar's Feast: Vol 7 no 11.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              Apparently, both Holst and RVW wrote their settings of Whitman's Dirge for two veterans in 1914, RVW later incorporating his into Dona Nobis Pacem.
                              Did something 'trigger' (no pun intended, given the imminent war) them at the same time, I wonder.
                              I like both settings very much: the RVW is particularly moving; the Holst deserves wider exposure (imho).

PS: I have just discovered that Weill set it too (along with three other Whitman poems). Included in Bostridge's recent CD with Pappano.
                              From what I remember when both were featured as COTW, Holst wrote his setting of the Whitman poem in 1914, whereas VW's was from 1911, though I stand to be corrected.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                From what I remember when both were featured as COTW, Holst wrote his setting of the Whitman poem in 1914, whereas VW's was from 1911, though I stand to be corrected.
                                I got the RVW date from Wiki; doesn't mean it's right!

PS: You may well be right. In The works of RVW by Michael Kennedy, 1911 is given (in reference to a performance of a setting of the same text by Charles Wood). Second edition, p163. On p272, though, Kennedy simply says that it was written 'before 1914'.
                                Last edited by Pulcinella; 23-11-18, 13:29.

Comment

Working...
                                X