• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Holst and Vaughan Williams: Making Music English - BBC2, Sat Nov 17th

9pm - BBC2

DOCUMENTARY In a delightful film exploring the friendship and music of Gustav Holst and Ralph Vaughan Williams, Amanda Vickery and Tom Service retrace the steps of the two composers as they roamed the Cotswolds and Malverns, determined to foster a "national music" for England, influenced by vanishing folk song and rediscovering Renaissance masters such as Tallis.

The hosts sift through photos and letters and visit old haunts, but it's all about the music, played in irresistible snatches by the BBC Concert Orchestra
    , writes Patrick Mulkern in the new edition of Radio Times.

Mr Service also has a two-page article titled Music for the people in this edition - this being part of the year-long radio and TV series Our Classical Century.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Oh, good - the pairing of Tom Service and Amanda Vickery produced an excellent drama-doc about the role Handel's Messiah played in the fortunes of the Foundling Hospital a couple of years ago. Looking forward to this (on the i-Player - as will be much of this coming week's telly in this first week of the Huddersfield Festival).
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Not going to be shown for a while yet, methinks?
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
        Not going to be shown for a while yet, methinks?
        Erm - tomorrow night, Saturday 17th November, BBC2, 9:00pm, Bbm;

The fascinating story of the friendship between Ralph Vaughan Williams and Gustav Holst.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Interesting scheduling in the light of the current discussion on the 'bbc 4 arts channel ...not' thread.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            Interesting scheduling in the light of the current discussion on the 'bbc 4 arts channel ...not' thread.
            Yes - though the "Our Classical Century" programmes appear to be on BBC4.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Yes - though the "Our Classical Century" programmes appear to be on BBC4.
              ...and 'Imagine' is on BBC1.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                ...and 'Imagine' is on BBC1.
                - that hadn't "registered" with me. Dare we hope that the bods in charge of BBC telly are actually increasing their commitment to Arts programmes across all the channels?

(At this rate, I'll look forward to "Live from Huddersfield" at 9:00pm in late Novembers in the future! All those tempting concerts from Bates Motel - heard in the comfort and warmth of my Living Room! Bliss!!!)

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

- that hadn't "registered" with me. Dare we hope that the bods in charge of BBC telly are actually increasing their commitment to Arts programmes across all the channels?

(At this rate, I'll look forward to "Live from Huddersfield" at 9:00pm in late Novembers in the future! All those tempting concerts from Bates Motel - heard in the comfort and warmth of my Living Room! Bliss!!!)
                  Arthur Bliss in an HCMF concert? Surely not?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Arthur Bliss in an HCMF concert? Surely not?
                    No - a full one!

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

It would be nice to think so,and I certainly hope so, but I suspect there may be a dearth after this 'abundance'. If it weren't for the time involved in bringing such programmes to fruition I would have said it smacks of a target not having been met and having to remedy it before an end of year deadline.
                      But on a more positive(possibly) note perhaps it's a testing of the waters for exposing the general public to culcher?
                      Last edited by oddoneout; 16-11-18, 16:41. Reason: afterthought

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Holst and RVW BBC2 Sat 17th Nov

Apologies if there's a thread about Making Music English already:

The fascinating story of the friendship between Ralph Vaughan Williams and Gustav Holst.

Just hope the 'hosts', including Tom Service, aren't too gushy about it all (cf Malverns/Ken Russell/Elgar). The RT description ends up, "...but it's all about the music played in irresistable snatches [] by the BBC Concert Orchestra.

But full marks in advance to the BBC for screening this at Prime Time on a Saturday evening.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Existing thread: 'Holst and Vaughan Williams - Making Music English'.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                            Apologies if there's a thread about Making Music English already:

Just hope the 'hosts', including Tom Service, aren't too gushy about it all (cf Malverns/Ken Russell/Elgar). The RT description ends up, "...but it's all about the music played in irresistable snatches [] by the BBC Concert Orchestra.

But full marks in advance to the BBC for screening this at Prime Time on a Saturday evening.
                            Specially for all you folks who think "bleeding chunks" are bad.....I must confess the combination of TS and irresistible snatches of music is not one to make me want to watch, but I shall( possibly not all through) if only because something is being put on BBC2 at last and it's time that button on the remote control had the dust rubbed off it.

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Existing thread: 'Holst and Vaughan Williams - Making Music English'.
                              Can't find it. Link please?

Thx.

Comment

Working...
                              X