• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Ipswich multi speaker piece and its reaction

What do folks think about this ?

Things to do and days out in Suffolk, Essex and the surrounding Suffolk and Essex areas from the East Anglian Daily Times.

and then

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

I can understand someone protesting about unwanted Music intruding into their home - I wouldn't want to have to listen to even Beethoven when I needed silence or to concentrate on other sounds - but to complain about "Pagan rituals" suggests that a very important point has been completely missed! (And I wouldn't want to listen to someone shouting through a megaphone whilst I was in my own home trying to listen to something else, either.)

Sounds an intriguing piece, though - perfect for a city centre, or a park ... or (much less perfectly) over headphones.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

I understand that it lasts for 3 minutes at 11.00 a.m. and 11 minutes at sunset for a limited period. As a way of marking the centenary of the end of WW1 it's hardly excessive!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Forcing people to listen to music is an unspeakable imposition. Whoever is responsible for such thing should be sent to Siberia - or at least a padded cell.

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          What do folks think about this ?

Things to do and days out in Suffolk, Essex and the surrounding Suffolk and Essex areas from the East Anglian Daily Times.

and then

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-46071589
          Off the cuff MrGG, I think that a live performance is called for - like for most musical offerings. I wished I had been there. Here in Derry there is a taste for 'events' - the Halloween Event is ongoing as I speak, and since 'City of Culture' the will to make space for artistic endeavors has increased. 'We' - I mean 'They', could probably do this event proud given our interesting performance spaces.
          I couldn't help noting the sound of the prowling helicopter and the night sky - powerful images here - and the contrasting sounds of the women singing, a kind of War and Peace motif not foreign to the theme of the Event.
          Protest - par for the course - an added attraction which I guess you would find an integral part of public art.
          I'd buy it and I'd give it five.

Comment

• rauschwerk
            • Nov 2010

Ridiculous choice of venue with all those flats nearby. There are perfectly good parks in Ipswich which could have been used. I support the protester in principle.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Forcing people to listen to music is an unspeakable imposition. Whoever is responsible for such thing should be sent to Siberia - or at least a padded cell.
              I'm assuming you include this ?

http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/26343.aspxhttp://www.canterbury-cathedral.org/2013/06/12/5scots-canterbury-farewell-parade/

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                I agree. Although as Churchill said: "The English never draw a line without blurring it." So, I think a case can be made for 'occasional music' (such as the pipes, drums and dancing in Gongers Youtube link). If it is for such a short time, a wide audience is involved and then it stops, I think the 'reasonable man' will put up with it. The 'unresaonable man' will make a continual fuss.

A couple of students from two doors away playing rap-type music in the garden every time there's bit of sunshine - to themselves (especially if some friends arrive and they all go off to the pub, leaving the hifi playing is unreasonable (and they leave their smelly refuse in the front garden for weeks). But when a car whizzes by playing loud music with the windows open, I stop and glare after it.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

I think that there is a difference between "public space" Music-making - such as in a town/city centre, where "noise" is expected - and Music-making that intrudes into people's private/domestic space. Buskers in shopping areas is one thing; outside someone's house another.

There was a recent R4 article about people living in houses across from a public park which has started to put on increasing numbers of amplified Music (partly in order to raise revenue to make up for cuts). That is a more tricky situation.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I agree. Although as Churchill said: "The English never draw a line without blurring it." So, I think a case can be made for 'occasional music' (such as the pipes, drums and dancing in Gongers Youtube link). If it is for such a short time, a wide audience is involved and then it stops, I think the 'reasonable man' will put up with it. The 'unresaonable man' will make a continual fuss.

A couple of students from two doors away playing rap-type music in the garden every time there's bit of sunshine - to themselves (especially if some friends arrive and they all go off to the pub, leaving the hifi playing is unreasonable (and they leave their smelly refuse in the front garden for weeks). But when a car whizzes by playing loud music with the windows open, I stop and glare after it.
                    This event lasts for less time than the pipes and drums thing though ?

Personally speaking, I've moved away from doing things outdoors like this (having done several in the past) as i'm often more interested in the sound of the environment than what I might add to it!

"Private space" is an interesting thing to think about. Murray Schaefer talks about this a fair bit in one of his books (I'll look it out later) as the folks who bought the flats by Tate Modern have found out.

When I first heard of the "Pagan rituals" and "evil sounds" in Ipswich I immediately thought I knew who it was doing it but it turned out to be much more
                    "safe" than my mate who does big noise with strobes and the like)

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      This event lasts for less time than the pipes and drums thing though ?
                      Well, exactly. Which is why I agree with Alpie's statement if there is no further context. But ferney sums up well: public events in public spaces are usually subject to certain regulations (noise levels, hours of operation &c) anyway. In the circumstances, only a certain kind of person would go as far as this chap does to make his point.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                      X