X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

... unless Andy Bentley misremembered, and it is George Smart to whom he refers (brother and uncle of the two Henrys) - George conducted the first performance in London in March, 1825, and six months later visited the composer, who wrote the Canon WoO 192 in Smart's presence as a gift to "my dear and talented Musical artist and friend".

Das Beethoven-Haus in Bonn ist Gedächtnisstätte, Museum und Kulturinstitut mit vielfältigen Aufgaben. 1889 vom Verein Beethoven-Haus gegründet, verbinden sich hier die Person von Ludwig van Beethoven mit der Pflege seiner Musik und der Erforschung von Leben und Werk des Komponisten.

... but I can't find a reference to the 45min timing here.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Hmmm. There are two Henry Smarts (father & son) who were associated with Beethoven - the father died in 1823, so if Ludders did say this to him, it was whilst he was in the very first stages of writing the piece. The son was born in October, 1813, so Ludders would have passed on the information to an (at most) thirteen-and-a-half-year-old boy.

(Henry Smart snr was, besides being leader of the Philharmonic Society orchestra, part proprietor of a brewery. Just sayin' ... )

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3369302...n_tab_contents
      There again, Mozart had composed 11 symphonies and arranged 4 piano concertos by the time he was thirteen and a half.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

... and it was George who noted in his score that the performance had lasted 64mins.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          There again, Mozart had composed 11 symphonies and arranged 4 piano concertos by the time he was thirteen and a half.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

Talk of Beethoven's 9th Symphony reminded me that way back in 1971, Wendy Carlos set a tempo for Rossini's William Tell overture which is unlikely to be exceeded.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
              Talk of Beethoven's 9th Symphony reminded me that way back in 1971, Wendy Carlos set a tempo for Rossini's William Tell overture which is unlikely to be exceeded.
              Yeah yeah, they said that about Linford.

Bolt could stop for a lager and still stroll in ahead of Christie.

By the by, there are quite a few pieces of music I can think of that cant go fast enough.......
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
              X