When you know you are not going to like it !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

When you know you are not going to like it !

On Friday I attended the first concert in the season of the Halle in Sheffield.

A worthy enough performance of Lemminkainen’s Return to start with , though I wish all Four Legends,would be played together more often.

Then followed an outstanding performance of the Dvorak Cello Concerto by Laura van der Heijden . All too many performances and recordings will linger in our ears - a recent favourite being Alisa Weilerstein with the Czech PO at the Bridgwater Hall .

Ms Van der Heijden suffered nothing in comparison . This was a Tortelier like account - immensely musical , no lingering but also extraordinarily moving . I doubt I have ever heard the Josefina passages more simply yet as heartrendingly played .

She is a BBC YM of the highest quality .

Sadly,the Brahms 4 was too slow from the first bar - sluggish and trying too hard to be meaningful. The Passacaglia almost came to a complete halt and the rest of the movements ( with the partial exception of the Allegro giocoso) were nearly as bad .

From the very first bars of the first movement my teeth were on edge. Lots of non troppo and very little Allegro it proceeded as an Andante and the Andante that followed as an Adagio.

Thank heavens for the superb Chailly set I have recently become acquainted with unless you can do something extraordinarily interesting straightforward musical thinking is the thing.
    Last edited by Barbirollians; 09-10-18, 18:34.
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    On Friday I attended the first concert in the season of the Halle in Sheffield.

A worthy enough performance of Lemminksinen’s Return to start with ( though I wish all Four Legends) would be played together more often.

Then followed an outstanding performance of the Dvorak Cello Concerto by Laura van der Heijden . All too many performances and recordings will linger in our ears - recent favourite being Alisa Weilerstein with the Czech PO at the Bridgwater Hall .

Ms Van der Heijden suffered nothing in comparison . This was a Tortelier like account - immensely musical , no lingering but also extraordinarily moving . I doubt I have ever heard the Josefina passsges more simply yet as heartrendingly played .

This is a BBC YM of the highest quality .

Sadly the Brahms 4 was too slow from the first bar - sluggish and trying too hard to be meaningful. the Passacaglia almost came to a complete halt and the rest of the movements were nearly as bad .

From the very first bars of the first movement my teeth were on edge.

Thank heavens for the superb Chailly set. Momentum is the thing .
    Who was conducting?

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

I knew I had missed something out ! Karl Heinz Steffens . Formerly, principal clarinet of the BPO . This may well explain how beautifully he emphasised the woodwind lines . The Brahms was just horribly slow.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Where was Sir Mark Elder I wondered or Nicholas Collon who gave a terrific Brahms 1 with the Halle last year.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Just listened to the live ICA Classics Boult from the Proms in 1975 - beautifully paced never exaggerated but marvellous.

The complete opposite of Friday’s terrible turgid Brahms.

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

You’ve made me want to seek out again the Chailly set!

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

Chailly doesn't seem to appear here much and that's a pity as I always enjoy his work.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

I sympathise.

Of all the major composers, I would choose Brahms as the one who with a great performance can be exceptional and with a poor performance can be dull in the extreme.

Having said as much, I feel Sibelius also needs to a greater extent than many to be in the right hands.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                  You’ve made me want to seek out again the Chailly set!
                  A terrific sweep to all four symphonies I find . It was an ideal antidote when I got home on Friday night .

Comment

Working...
                  X