• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    Let me ask you this then if I may. Do you think it would be OK just to read the second volume? - because I think the music that interests me most was all written in the period covered by it. I'm just afraid that if I started with the first one I'd get bogged down in details.
    The first volume is a great read, Richard, full of fascinating "not very many people know that" facts (such as Janacek going to the same school that Gregor Mendel did his research at - which fact always reminds me of the horrendous pebbles that used to be served as peas at my Primary School: you'd do anything with them except eat the damn things!)

Janacek emerges from the pages as a somewhat unpleasant young man - especially in his treatment of his family, and of his young wife.

But - to come to the point at last - it's probably a better idea to start with Volume 2 (which I haven't read yet).
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      The first volume is a great read, Richard, full of fascinating "not very many people know that" facts (such as Janacek going to the same school that Gregor Mendel did his research at - which fact always reminds me of the horrendous pebbles that used to be served as peas at my Primary School: you'd do anything with them except eat the damn things!)

Janacek emerges from the pages as a somewhat unpleasant young man - especially in his treatment of his family, and of his young wife.

But - to come to the point at last - it's probably a better idea to start with Volume 2 (which I haven't read yet).
      Only for those with deep pockets or access to a library copy.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Only for those with deep pockets or access to a library copy.
        Brand new copies of volume 1 are available from Postscript Books for £9.99 +p&p. That's where I got my copy from last year.

(Unless you mean "deep pockets" in order to carry the book around? - I wouldn't advise it, unless you have really sturdy braces!)

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

Thanks. I think I will; and then go back to volume 1 as necessary.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Brand new copies of volume 1 are available from Postscript Books for £9.99 +p&p. That's where I got my copy from last year.

(Unless you mean "deep pockets" in order to carry the book around? - I wouldn't advise it, unless you have really sturdy braces!)
              I was responding to the final paragraph in your post. I ordered a copy of Vol. 1 this morning. It's Volume 2 that is a tad expensive.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                I was responding to the final paragraph in your post. I ordered a copy of Vol. 1 this morning. It's Volume 2 that is a tad expensive.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

It's a sad thought that it might possibly be that his death will lead to Faber and Faber reprinting Vol. 2 of Years of a Life. My £12.75 (including p&p) copy of Vol. 1 arrived in decidedly "as new" condition this morning. Search as I may, I cannot find any evidence of the "minor shop soiling" mentioned in its description.

Comment

Working...
                  X