X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

John Tyrrell (1942-2018)

The great Janáček scholar John Tyrrell died this morning at the age of 76. He was a friend for more than 40 years and I had the privilege of collaborating with him on two books. But anyone who loved Janáček's music, or performed it, owes John a huge debt of gratitude for his magnificent scholarship, both a writer and as an editor. His two-volume biography is currently being translated into Czech - a sign of the esteem in which he was held in the Czech Republic.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Farewell to another hero of music scholarship.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Yes indeed. Actually I was thinking about him only the other day, wondering about reading the biography. But what I really want is to read about the music. Makropulos will know this no doubt - is there much about the music in that book? If Tyrrell wrote a monograph about J's compositions I can't seem to find it. Of course I've read no end of liner notes, articles and so on - Tyrrell's dedication was certainly matched by his insight.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Indeed so.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

It’s very unfortunate that I have never heard of this marvellous man, from what I have read. Very sad indeed.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

Intimate Letters is a fascinating and very moving book. RIP

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

RIP.

One or two posts I have seen elsewhere mention another recent death of a music scholar without naming him/her?

Comment

• aeolium
                • Nov 2010

I was lucky enough to see the recent WNO production of The House of The Dead, which was the first to use John Tyrrell's new edition of the score. He had been working on it in consultation with Charles Mackerras but sadly Mackerras did not live long enough to conduct the opera in the new edition.

Welsh National Opera’s revival brings David Pountney’s 1982 version back to grim and glorious life and restores Janáček’s original musical vision

RIP

Comment

• makropulos
                  • Nov 2010

Richard - that's a very good question. John didn't write a book specifically about the music, though there are some substantial chapters in the biography that talk about it (e.g. on 'Janacek and Leitmotif', 'How Janacek composed operas' and so on). But for specific things on the music you're right - most of John's writing on that appears in booklet notes and articles.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                    I was lucky enough to see the recent WNO production of The House of The Dead, which was the first to use John Tyrrell's new edition of the score. He had been working on it in consultation with Charles Mackerras but sadly Mackerras did not live long enough to conduct the opera in the new edition.

Welsh National Opera’s revival brings David Pountney’s 1982 version back to grim and glorious life and restores Janáček’s original musical vision

RIP
                    That edition dates from 1990. Has it really taken so long for it to be used in a production? Indeed, the 2007 Boulez/Chéreau production used the Mackerras/Tyrrell score, or is there a more recent edition with addenda by Tyrrell?

Ah. This clarifies things for me:

Last edited by Bryn; 05-10-18, 11:43. Reason: Update.

Comment

• aeolium
                      • Nov 2010

Many thanks for that link to the Tyrrell interview, Bryn. I do recall that in the pre-performance talk to the WNO performance there was a discussion of the changes made for the new edition, and I believe there was also a section in the programme (though I can't lay my hands on it) possibly written by JT about it.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                        • Nov 2010

Very sad news. One of the great pleasures in buying the Mackerras/Decca LP sets of the operas - and one of the reasons to keep them - was to read his notes. Janáček fans world-wide owe him a large debt of gratitude.

Comment

• makropulos
                          • Nov 2010

That edition dates from 1990. Has it really taken so long for it to be used in a production? Indeed, the 2007 Boulez/Chéreau production used the Mackerras/Tyrrell score, or is there a more recent edition with addenda by Tyrrell?

Ah. This clarifies things for me:

Bryn - there was years of work to be done after the provisional version of 1990 - and the Mackerras/Tyrrell score you mention is not the same thing as John's final version which could only be finished after CM's death. Their 1990 version was very much a provisional edition and the new one has many small differences. The WNO production last year was the first to use it (though with a couple of small exceptions where they reverted to the earlier edition) and the new edition was performed for the first time exactly as intended at the ROH production earlier this year. It's being prepared for publication at the moment and there will in due course be a study score and a new vocal score on sale.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                            Bryn - there was years of work to be done after the provisional version of 1990 - and the Mackerras/Tyrrell score you mention is not the same thing as John's final version which could only be finished after CM's death. Their 1990 version was very much a provisional edition and the new one has many small differences. The WNO production last year was the first to use it (though with a couple of small exceptions where they reverted to the earlier edition) and the new edition was performed for the first time exactly as intended at the ROH production earlier this year. It's being prepared for publication at the moment and there will in due course be a study score and a new vocal score on sale.
                            Yes. I'm listening to your contribution to the introduction to the June 30th broadcast of the latter production as I type. I had gone as far as resolving the HD Sound aac to 48/24 wav, shortly after the broadcast, but work pressures at the time meant I have not got round to further editing and listening until today.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                              Richard - that's a very good question. John didn't write a book specifically about the music, though there are some substantial chapters in the biography that talk about it (e.g. on 'Janacek and Leitmotif', 'How Janacek composed operas' and so on). But for specific things on the music you're right - most of John's writing on that appears in booklet notes and articles.
                              Let me ask you this then if I may. Do you think it would be OK just to read the second volume? - because I think the music that interests me most was all written in the period covered by it. I'm just afraid that if I started with the first one I'd get bogged down in details.

Comment

Working...
                              X