• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Omer Meir Wellber new Chief Conductor of BBC Philharmonic

Announced today - never heard of him before, although I see Stanfordian drew attention to him a couple of years ago in a post which I missed... Also I see he was apparently runner-up for the Birmingham job: see this post

Anyone here actually heard him conduct?
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• gradus
    • Nov 2010

Nope, but I hope he brings his accordion.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
      • Mar 2007

He's conducting the BBCPO in this Saturday's concert at the Bridgewater Hall. Unfortunately there's no date yet for the ensuing broadcast.

Apparently he takes up the position formally in September next year; press release here.

Comment

• verismissimo
        • Nov 2010

First-rate reviews for his recent season-opener with CBSO:

It was Omer Meir Wellber’s turn to conduct the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra in its first concert of the new season, a programme of music by Dvořák and Bartók which promised to be the perfect antidote to the Daily Grind.

Comment

• Tevot
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Announced today - never heard of him before, although I see Stanfordian drew attention to him a couple of years ago in a post which I missed... Also I see he was apparently runner-up for the Birmingham job: see this post

Hello there,

Yes I have. I had the very good fortune over the summer to attend the Glyndebourne production of Madam Butterfly on 18th July. The house band for the evening was The London Philharmonic and the performance was conducted by Omer Meir Wellber - a name new to me also. A thoroughly enjoyable, engaging and convincing interpretation which I'd be hard pressed to fault. I found Butterfly far more satisfying than Proms no. 4 (Lindberg/ Shostakovich 7) I attended earlier that week!

Sounds like the BBC Phil are onto a winner here

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I was hoping that Ben Gernon would be made the new imcumbant. Maybe too inexperienced?
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Here is the link to a short interview with Omer Meir Wellber in 2017:

Comment

Working...
              X