X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Series 10 free lunchtime concerts in The Borough

I thought London visitors and residents might be interested in St George the Martyr church off Borough High Street hosting adventurous programmes of contemporary chamber music every Tuesday of next month, I am informed by Daryl Runswick. Not often are we afforded generous opportunities of this kind in the capital. I shall be attending on the 23rd, if anyone's around and maybe interested in meeting up.

• Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Very tempted. I might well make a few, or all.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      I thought London visitors and residents might be interested in St George the Martyr church off Borough High Street hosting adventurous programmes of contemporary chamber music every Tuesday of next month, I am informed by Daryl Runswick. Not often are we afforded generous opportunities of this kind in the capital. I shall be attending on the 23rd, if anyone's around and maybe interested in meeting up.

https://www.wise16.co.uk/borough-new-music-series-10/
      Do you know what the Rzewski piece is on 9 October? Oh I have just seen, sorry, it is "Which Side Are You On?" Without overdoing the personal stuff, my father has the Alzheimers Society woman coming round on 23rd. I doubt I need to be here. Almost every document on my mother's side says "St George the Martyr" so I'm sort of feeling it. It could be meant. It would be great to meet you and Bryn if he is going - somehow instinctively I always felt that if it were ever to happen it wouldn't be so obvious as to be in Croydon. A definite perhaps.
      Last edited by Lat-Literal; 25-09-18, 23:19.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

As bad luck would have it, Tuesday is the one day I am almost never in London.

But thanks for the heads up, S-A.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

I thought this referred to Aldeburgh when I read the title of the thread.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Looks good, though like others I may not be around there on Tuesdays or at the times mentioned.
            Is that church easy to get to from Waterloo mainline station? Bus, tube, mainline?

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Looks good, though like others I may not be around there on Tuesdays or at the times mentioned.
              Is that church easy to get to from Waterloo mainline station? Bus, tube, mainline?
              Bit of a walk from London Bridge but the train from Waterloo East to London bridge only takes about 5 minutes. Otherwise, it is very close to Borough tube station. By bus (one change) it takes around 30 minutes. Check via the TfL journey planner, starting from Waterloo Station, heading towards Elephant and Castle.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Either Jubilee Line eastbound from Waterloo to London Bridge, or main line Southeastern from Waterloo to London Bridge if you're claustrophobic, or a 20 minute, just over 1 mile walk if you're energetic. Afraid I don't know about buses. You could always hire a Boris bike, I suppose!

Ah - Bryn got there first!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

https://www.wise16.co.uk/borough-new-music-series-10/
                  Just thought I'd bump this concert up as a reminder, for anyone who might happen to be around tomorrow lunchtime.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Just thought I'd bump this concert up as a reminder, for anyone who might happen to be around tomorrow lunchtime.
                    Many thanks for the reminder. I will make a point of attending tomorrow, along with a friend who has a broadcast to do from Resonance FM's nearby studio, shortly after.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Many thanks for the reminder. I will make a point of attending tomorrow, along with a friend who has a broadcast to do from Resonance FM's nearby studio, shortly after.
                      Great, Look forward to seeing you there, Bryn.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                        • Aug 2015

Did you both enjoy it?

I am sorry I wasn't there.

This turned out to be the day, not determined by me, when I was going to virtually pay off my mortgage. But the decision to travel in person to do it backfired. I don't have a current passport or a driving licence. The private sector powers that be want photo ID in order to do it. It would have been nice if this had been mentioned in one of the half a dozen telephone calls I made in the weeks beforehand precisely to prevent a wasted journey. So there I was slap bang in the land of the Council that is not for people at various financial organisations that are not for people. People, at least, who couldn't afford a car or foreign holidays, even if they would want them. We are coming up to the Remembrance Day which will mark the centenary of the end of WW1. Symbolically, I am - even on the verge of being a house owner - ever closer in this broad socio-environmental order to my grandmother when in 1918 she had at 28 not long left the area of St George the Martyr and how apt. It would have been more resonant - spot here the oblique and not exactly relevant reference to independent radio - to be there, turning on, tuning in and choosing to drop out. There was, though, a terrific sunset tonight. What I liked about it was that it wasn't a person sitting in a modern institution.
                        Last edited by Lat-Literal; 23-10-18, 19:10.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

A very fine concert. Daryl kindly allowed me to use my little Zoom H2n to record i, the forward and backward facing microphone capsules proving very useful, since the double bass's speaker (it was an electric double bass) was in front of the recorder and the speaker for the electronic music and voice components came from a speker placed up behind it. In adition to the inforative programme notes, Daryl also provided copies of the score of the fully composed sonata which was the second item on the agenda. We also got a most enjoyable song as an encore. Carole Finer, who attended with me, hopes to get Daryl on her Resonance FM "Sound Out" programme before too long. On her show today, broadcast an hour or so after the Borough New Music concert, her guest was trombonist Alan Tomlinson.
                          Last edited by Bryn; 23-10-18, 21:03. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                            • Aug 2015

A very fine concert. Daryl kindly allowed me to use my little Zoom H2n to record i, the forward and backward facing microphone capsules proving very useful, since the double bass's speaker (it was an electric double bass) was in front of the recorder and the speaker for the electronic music and voice components came from a speker placed up behind it. In adition to the inforative programme notes, Daryl also provided copies of the score of the fully composed sonata which was the second item on the agenda. We also got a most enjoyable song as an encore. Carole Finer, who attended with me, hope to get Daryl on her Resonance FM "Sound Out" programme before too long. On her show today, broadcast an hour or so after the Borough New Music concert, her guest was trombonist Alan Tomlinson.
                            Ah well, Bryn, that no only sounds that it was excellent but it also indicates I was so blimmin' "near", not that I genuinely knew it, in my oblique reference to Resonance FM.

Thank you for the description - and I hope it happens!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

A very fine concert. Daryl kindly allowed me to use my little Zoom H2n to record i, the forward and backward facing microphone capsules proving very useful, since the double bass's speaker (it was an electric double bass) was in front of the recorder and the speaker for the electronic music and voice components came from a speker placed up behind it. In adition to the inforative programme notes, Daryl also provided copies of the score of the fully composed sonata which was the second item on the agenda. We also got a most enjoyable song as an encore. Carole Finer, who attended with me, hopes to get Daryl on her Resonance FM "Sound Out" programme before too long. On her show today, broadcast an hour or so after the Borough New Music concert, her guest was trombonist Alan Tomlinson.
                              I must owe you an apology then, Bryn, because my memory for new faces can't be what it once was, and I ended up talking to Anthony Pay, the clarinet player, and sat beside him, thinking him to be yourself! The audience - the largest thus far in the concert series, we learned afterwards - was largely made up of Daryl's nearest and closest friends, with whom, inevitably one ends up catching up on news. Anyway, I can only second your positive take on the concert, and hope & trust you're happy with the result of the recording.

Comment

Working...
                              X