• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Britten War Requiem BBC i-player

Mrs A and I happened upon a 1964 Prom performance of The War Requiem; Meredith Davies conducting the BBCSO and Chorus, BB himself conducting the chamber orchestra. It was in black and white of poor-ish quality, but the sound wasn't bad. Fascinating performance! Pears was the tenor (of course), Heather Harper the soprano and Thomas Hemsley the baritone. Emmanuel boys' choir. Simon Preston playing the organ. The introduction was by Richard Baker...how dignified compared with today's capers!

A performance of Benjamin Britten's War Requiem from the Royal Albert Hall. (1964)
    Last edited by ardcarp; 23-09-18, 12:05.
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

There's also a Britten/Pears song recital included in the BBC iPlayer BBC 4 Archive Collection under 'Celebrity Recital'

Comment

• Lordgeous
      • Dec 2012

Thanks for the War Requiem link. Had a quick look and had to watch to the end. Pears in wonderful voice, Heather Harper so radiant and so beautiful a sound, delicious high notes - and the only one not to use a score, though I guess her part might be more easily memorised than those of the male soloist. Great to see all those wonderful players in the Melos ensemble too including the unforgettable Jimmy Blades. Yes, dignity from Richard Baker and refreshingly simple camerawork. Not bad sound for its day but annoying that the end just cuts off - not even a fade out! Strong memories of hearing the first performance as a schoolboy on the Radio. I know not everyone agrees about the stature of the work but it still has a profound effect on me.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

but it still has a profound effect on me.
        ...on me too. Glad you liked it, Lords.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

...on me too. I have the absolutely wonderful Nelsons/CBSO DVD recorded in Coventry Cathedral, as well as the Britten/LSO/Melos CD. Perhaps I'll watch the BBC archive recording on or around November 11th....
          Incidentally, the Nelsons DVD includes the whole of the extended, almost unbearably moving, silence at the end of the performance.
          Last edited by LMcD; 24-09-18, 10:39. Reason: To correct spalling erra!

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            ...on me too. I have the absolutely wonderful Nelsons/CBSO DVD recorded in Coventry Cathedral, as well as the Britten/LSO/Melos CD. Perhaps I'll watch the BBC archive recording on or around November 11th....
            Incidentally, the Nelsons DVD includes the whole of the extended, almost unbearably moving, silence at the end of the performance.
            The Andris Nelsons DVD is something else! Also there is another produced I think by Tony Palmer IRR. A very good film, with the recording of the composer’s own.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
              The Andris Nelsons DVD is something else! Also there is another produced I think by Tony Palmer IRR. A very good film, with the recording of the composer’s own.
              Not Tony Palmer but Derek Jarman.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Not Tony Palmer but Derek Jarman.
                Ah right thanks Bryn. Yes of course, Derek Jarmin. I should’ve looked myself!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

....ref Richard Baker born 1925 -still alive 93....served on Artic Convoys in ww2....

I'm intrigued too by the chap in a bobble hat behind the conductor....
                  Last edited by eighthobstruction; 25-09-18, 15:17.
                  bong ching

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                    The introduction was by Richard Baker...how dignified compared with today's capers!
                    Absolutely. Lovely to see his face and hear that voice again
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• JimD
                      • Nov 2010

Did his spoken interjections between sections add to or detract from the piece? I was surprised to hear them, and found them unhelpful. Are they usual/common?

Comment

• Lordgeous
                        • Dec 2012

It did seem a bit intrusive. I guess it could have been done with captions, as is done at the Proms sometimes. Did't spoil the whole experience though for me.

Comment

• ardcarp
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

I guess it was intended to make it 'accessible' to viewers, but surely still quite dignified.

Comment

Working...
                          X