• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

The comparable merits of Lili and Nadia Boulanger

Any thoughts?

Unusual cross-references to the Brontes would be welcome but are not required.
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

One of them lived a lot longer than the other...

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Lili was a composer of immense talent and great fortitude in her final days due to her terminal illness. With her sister Nadia, who assisted her in writing , I think , Élegie? Nadia was the most inspirational teacher to numerous twentieth century composers, who dominated the western classical music world.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Nadia at Dartington, described by Muriel Nissell in "Married to the Amadeus" - "...and the musicologist and teacher, Nadia Boulanger - spinsterish with her long grey hair framing her face, austere as she peered through her glasses, but immensely lively and brimming over with musical knowledge and advice".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Whereas I think Lili was wed to the French Late Romantic/Impressionist school, as, broadly speaking, would have been representive of many French composers of her pre-Les Six era, Jacques Ibert being typical in this respect, her sister was strongly in sympathy with Stravinskyian Neo-Classicism, which she apparently did her utmost to instil in her pupils, from Lennox Berkeley to Grazyna Bacewicz. No doubt Nadia, like Ibert, underwent something of an aesthetic re-orientation along similar lines as the current orthodoxies changed, though I've no idea what her views on the post-WW2 avant gardes were.

Comment

• Bergonzi
            Banned
            • Feb 2018

As someone who briefly played under Nadia I think she was something pretty special. But don't ask me why, it was a bloody long time ago ...

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

Thank you to all.

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Whereas I think Lili was wed to the French Late Romantic/Impressionist school, as, broadly speaking, would have been representive of many French composers of her pre-Les Six era, Jacques Ibert being typical in this respect, her sister was strongly in sympathy with Stravinskyian Neo-Classicism, which she apparently did her utmost to instil in her pupils, from Lennox Berkeley to Grazyna Bacewicz. No doubt Nadia, like Ibert, underwent something of an aesthetic re-orientation along similar lines as the current orthodoxies changed, though I've no idea what her views on the post-WW2 avant gardes were.
              We agree, I think, that Lili is very underrated as a composer but it never ceases to amaze me just how many times Nadia's name crops up in terms of influence on other composers.

Quite a range of them too.

Comment

Working...
              X