X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    I know it's inappropriate to speak badly of someone in their obituary thread, but my point was that the one concert I referred to was inspiring enough to put his balance sheet in the black as far as I'm concerned, despite the fact that I'd probably have disagreed with him on very many matters of what music is important and how it might be interpreted. I also saw him give a wonderful performance of Michael Finnissy's orchestral piece Offshore and thought that's the kind of thing he ought to be spending his time on.
    Well, the music that he spent time on as a conductor was largely his choice and the example that you mention just goes to illustrate the sheer breadth of vision that characterised his work in that capacity; I imagine, for instance, that he wouldn't have conducted Elgar had he not wanted to.
    Last edited by ahinton; 16-07-18, 07:38.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
      • Nov 2010

From Limelight Magazine, a 1994 interview between Knussen and Andrew Ford:

In the wake of his death, we revisit a wonderful, wide-ranging interview that Andrew Ford did with the British composer/conductor in Aldeburgh in 1994.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
        From Limelight Magazine, a 1994 interview between Knussen and Andrew Ford:

https://www.limelightmagazine.com.au...en-remembered/
        Thanks very much for linking to that interview with Knussen, BSP. Most interesting! His description of Debussy's late works as being like Houdini managing to get himself out of an impossible knot may seem strange, but that was exactly the way I first felt when listening to music by him: he's now trapping himself harmonically into a corner, how is he going to get out of this? - then marvelling at how elegantly he proceeds to do just that. It's a shame Ford didn't delve further into what had made OK less given to listening to new works by other composers at around that time. And I suppose one day I will manage to agree with some of what he had to say about Britten. Organised as methodically as Webern it may have been, yes, but it's the triteness of the what that's being organised that so often lets it down, for me.

Comment

• silvestrione
          • Jan 2011

I was very pleased when he took up Tippett's 2nd Symphony, and treasure my off-air recording. Just wish he had not spent so much time performing ETLOR composers.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
            ETLOR composers.
            What's an ETLOR composer?

I did see a documentary a few years ago about an elderly amateur lady composer whose symphony Knussen had conducted. Was she an ETLOR composer? (We had MOR composer upthread. These acronyms are a bit cliquey and excluding.)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              I did see a documentary a few years ago about an elderly amateur lady composer whose symphony Knussen had conducted.
              Minna Keal wasn't an "amateur"!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Thank you ferney - it was 30 years ago and but a hazy memory, I tried various search terms to remind myself who she was, without success. Was she an ETLOR composer, or indeed a MOR one?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  Thank you ferney - it was 30 years ago and but a hazy memory, I tried various search terms to remind myself who she was, without success. Was she an ETLOR composer, or indeed a MOR one?
                  Like you (and I do!), I don't know what an "ETLOR composer" is, but bearing in mind the great fun she and I had "discussing" (ie "dissing" and "cussing") the work of Judith Weir at the 1981 Musica Nova Festival in Glasgow, I think she'd be horrified to think herself described as MOR. (Her very few compositions suggest someone who drove closer to the kerb, too.)
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

She sounds (and sounded) quite a character. And clearly, to return to topic, thought highly of Oliver Knussen

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Like you (and I do!), I don't know what an "ETLOR composer" is, but bearing in mind the great fun she and I had "discussing" (ie "dissing" and "cussing") the work of Judith Weir at the 1981 Musica Nova Festival in Glasgow, I think she'd be horrified to think herself described as MOR. (Her very few compositions suggest someone who drove closer to the kerb, too.)
                      I've not heard much of her music, but I would say she's definitely not MOR. However, I wouldn't argue against anyone who described her as ETLOR. By the way, I disagree with silvestrione, I think that OK did us all a service by promoting works by ETLOR composers.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        I've not heard much of her music, but I would say she's definitely not MOR. However, I wouldn't argue against anyone who described her as ETLOR. By the way, I disagree with silvestrione, I think that OK did us all a service by promoting works by ETLOR composers.
                        Please would somebody tell us what ETLOR means, or stands for? (see #35) - I was being facetious in #37.

Comment

• silvestrione
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                          Yes, I agree really, I was just thinking that some of the time might have been better spent on more Tippett! I mischievously made up ETLOR after a couple of glasses of wine, meaning something like 'extreme composers on the left or right'!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                            Yes, I agree really, I was just thinking that some of the time might have been better spent on more Tippett! I mischievously made up ETLOR after a couple of glasses of wine, meaning something like 'extreme composers on the left or right'!
                            Ya boo, you've spoilt the fun!

Comment

Working...
                            X