• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Sense of entitlement

Apparently.

Classical music has a "sense of entitlement" and needs to experiment, argues composer Alexis Ffrench.

Probably been chatting to Suzy K.

I wouldn't bother with the video for Bluebird BTW, just in case you are tempted...
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

I think Dave Vera Lynn (mentioned in that link) should get back to Dover with a pile of skunk, get some mega speakers up on them white cliffs, set the skunk on fire when there's a north west wind blowing force 8, and project some of that hop hop over the Channel to our friends on the French side too, nar mean? - just to show that froggy Barnier bloke we mean business. You know, Shostakovitch Eighth, like what them Stalingradders did to scare the Bosch and that...

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

His idea of what 'classical music' (wonder what he includes in that term?) is about is rather different from mine I think. Typical that the suggestion should be that 'classical' goes to pop rather than the other way round but inevitable I suppose as there would be nothing left to listen to or watch once the gadgetry is removed from pop music - bit like a bald Dulux dog.
      In any case any sense of entitlement seems to me to be the other way round anyway - jo public is entitled to listen to her music wherever and whenever and at whatever volume she chooses - and stuff those who don't wish to hear it....(sorry, fine weather brings out issues with some recently arrived neighbours)

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

Pleasant enough piece but not what I expected following his comments.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

"I think we could perhaps borrow more from other art forms." Is this the kind of blinding insight that you need an education in the RCM for?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
              "I think we could perhaps borrow more from other art forms." Is this the kind of blinding insight that you need an education in the RCM for?
              You mean like rap artists nicking a tune and then ranting gibberish over the top of it. Sure great invention of art form. I’m I getting too set in my ways or does anyone else think it's sh.....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                You mean like rap artists nicking a tune and then ranting gibberish over the top of it. Sure great invention of art form. I’m I getting too set in my ways or does anyone else think it's sh.....
                Not all of it, but sorting the cheat from the waff would take much more time and enthusiasm than I would afford on it unless I was a general music journalist. That said, the excellent jazz pianist Liam Noble has been expressing respect from some of the artists - and hip hop has been around for a good 3 decades now, undergoing changes...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Sorry. What tune was that?

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Er...yes!

Comment

• greenilex
                      • Nov 2010

I think for a lot of people classical music and orchestral music are synonymous.

Comment

• Mal
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        ... jo public is entitled to listen to her music wherever and whenever and at whatever volume she chooses...
                        So your working class neighbours are a bit loud and you condemn the entire working class? I was brought up in a working class family, and they were careful not to disturb the neighbours with loud music. Egged on by my upper-middle class friends I did turn up the Floyd a couple of times, as a teenager, and my parents told me to "turn it down and think of the neighbours". It's noisy toffs that are the main problem, including classical blasters, send them to the work farms I say .

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                          So your working class neighbours are a bit loud and you condemn the entire working class? I was brought up in a working class family, and they were careful not to disturb the neighbours with loud music. Egged on by my upper-middle class friends I did turn up the Floyd a couple of times, as a teenager, and my parents told me to "turn it down and think of the neighbours". It's noisy toffs that are the main problem, including classical blasters, send them to the work farms I say .
                          Glad you added an emoticon otherwise I might have thought you were serious - or that I had strayed into the fractious world of BTL Grauniad.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            Glad you added an emoticon otherwise I might have thought you were serious - or that I had strayed into the fractious world of BTL Grauniad.
                            Being serious would surely have meant sending them down the Abergavenny salt mines!

Comment

• kea
                              • Dec 2013

The use of sampling and field recordings in hip-hop is basically a parallel current to their use in experimental electronic music (unlikely that hip hop artists in the 80s were listening to much Dhomont or Ferrari, though they might surprise me, who knows). Generally once you look past the commercial top 40 type stuff you find more creative uses of sampling, electronic alteration/manipulation of voices, greater subtlety in the interplay between singing and rapping, etc. I'm definitely not a hip-hop fan & know very little about the genre but I'm generally prepared to listen to its advocates and to put at least some effort into trying to figure out what it's doing.

Anyway people have been "borrowing from other art forms" for decades or centuries now, but I can only surmise the artist's ignorance of that is a result of a RAM education, which I suspect completely ignores the influence of any artform that could be considered vaguely lowbrow on any artform that could be considered vaguely highbrow, and focuses on promoting a narrow canon of repertoire. The concert lineup also sort of suggests this; I don't expect Bryn Terfel and Andrea Boccelli will be singing any Fausto Romitelli or Yannis Kyriakides for example.

Comment

Working...
                              X