X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Cornysh - Woefully arrayed: Genre?

Just been to The Sixteen's Choral Pilgrimage concert at Truro Cathedral. Featured composers were Britten and William Cornysh (did you know there were probably two of him??). Listening to the not unfamiliar 'Woefully arrayed' I asked myself who would have performed it originally and where, in what context. And I didn't have a clue!

It is obviously a religious/ devotional work, but in English c1500-1523. Is this a piece for performance in private houses by theologically fairly 'liberal' (Lutheran?) families? Or what?
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
    It is obviously a religious/ devotional work, but in English c1500-1523. Is this a piece for performance in private houses by theologically fairly 'liberal' (Lutheran?) families? Or what?
    The break with Rome didn't occur until a bit later, in the 1530s: Henry and Anne Boleyn weren't married until 1533 (ten years after the younger of the two Cornyshes died; so the Motet/Anthem is even earlier if by the elder).

Both Cornyshes were associated with the Chapel Royal, and Woefully Arrayed (with a poem possibly by John Skelton) was popular; so conceivably sung by them at ceremonies attended by the King?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• subcontrabass
      • Nov 2010

An internet search suggests a scholarly consensus that this work was for domestic performance.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
        An internet search suggests a scholarly consensus that this work was for domestic performance.
        No need to pay for it then - oh sorry, that was another thread!

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I was brought up on the strict (Protestant) belief that Catholics understood nothing about their religion and their priests were very anxious to keep it that way. This made the Refomation necessary.

The existence of this piece and of others like it* gives the lie to that belief.

Read Eamon Duffy: the Stripping of the Altars for more on pre-Reformation spirituality.

*For example Richard Pygott Quid petis, O fili?

Last edited by jean; 19-05-18, 10:18.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

It’s a pity The Sixteen are not performing near me.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
            X