X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Damp piano restoration challenge

I'm not thinking of bidding, but can anyone offer an opinion on whether it's worth doing? Did (does) this manufacturer have any real reputation? http://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/n..._in_Cotswolds/

Just because something's very rare doesn't mean it has to be preserved I guess
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

'I'm just off to practise on my old Betsy' could be embarrassing......

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

My instincts are not to bother.

If the manufacturer lasted only 19 years, one might ask why, but if the other hype is true, this might not be an issue.
      The damp, however, is likely to be serious.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Looking at the condition, it may be a case that the restored piano would be a bit like my grandfather's axe.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

Fascinating opportunity, I guess it mostly depends on whether you have a five figure sum burning a hole in your pocket.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by gradus View Post
            Fascinating opportunity, I guess it mostly depends on whether you have a five figure sum burning a hole in your pocket.
            And whether you share the same characteristics as the person for whom it was custom-made in the first place?

Comment

• visualnickmos
              • Nov 2010

The thought struck me that there may not actually be anyone (or company, etc) that would be prepared to take on the job, either through it not being their 'thing', or by knowing they can only at best, restore it to a certain level, and that a full restoration to its former grandeur being impossible to achieve. Just a thought...

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

I suppose someone with deep pockets might just buy it as a template for a newly built instrument. Can there be any part of it not damaged beyond utility by the damp?

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  I suppose someone with deep pockets might just buy it as a template for a newly built instrument. Can there be any part of it not damaged beyond utility by the damp?
                  Or do just enough to make it simply a decorative - rather than functional - object in those 'more money than sense or taste' billionaires' residences.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... in which we learn of the Betsy pianos (constructed between 1852-1871) -

"Both Beethoven and Bach played on similar pianos" and "The piano owned by the Hart Family Estate was first sold to one of Beethoven’s students, who played on it until his death. It is very possible Beethoven himself played on that particular piano when giving him lessons."

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Interesting thought Bryn, which brings me back to my original (implied?) question as to whether Emerich Betsy pianos have enough reputation or historical interest to be worth saving, or making modern-day copies of. Anybody know?

My Grove doesn't give them an alphabetical listing, which may be sufficient indication

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... in which we learn of the Betsy pianos (constructed between 1852-1871) -

"Both Beethoven and Bach played on similar pianos" and "The piano owned by the Hart Family Estate was first sold to one of Beethoven’s students, who played on it until his death. It is very possible Beethoven himself played on that particular piano when giving him lessons."

Seems something of a leap of faith or time travel from pianos built 1852-71 to pianos LvB actually played on.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                          Seems something of a leap of faith or time travel from pianos built 1852-71 to pianos LvB actually played on.
                          - yes, the wide range of that "Beethoven and Bach played on similar pianos" suggests a generous compass of "similarity"! (Certainly the Betsy piano was "more similar" to what Beethoven and Bach played than a set of bagpipes.)
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

... as Rosamond Harding's important work [1933] on the history of the piano stops at the Great Exhibition of 1851, not surprisingly there is no mention of Betsy...

My other sources here are equally unhelpful...

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Not a Betsy in sight here either:

Comment

Working...
                              X