Your Favourite Musical Instrument & works that demonstrate your choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Your Favourite Musical Instrument & works that demonstrate your choice?

Since retiring a few years ago, I've been able to listen to so much more music and many of my perceptions and preferences have changed, including the musical instruments that float my boat.

Just 7 or so years ago I would have identified the electric guitar or the drums as my favourite instrument, but I quickly developed a liking for woodwind. I especially liked the oboe and I always had a place in my heart for the clarinet. However, having listened to tons of Vivaldi, I find the bassoon is my clear woodwind favourite, these days.

But a strange thing has happened this year. I suspect as a result of listening to a bit more Mozart than usual and an underlying love of Wagner and Bruckner, the brass section has come from behind and taken poll position.

So now, my favourite musical instrument is the French horn.

I absolutely love this instrument in Britten's Serenade, especially the Dennis Brain later performance (). But the clincher for me is Mozart's Horn Concerto No.4, with Barry Tuckwell (much better recording than Brain/Karajan - makes a difference).

I do not understand the technical side of this instrument or music in general to explicate my choice, but I just love the sound.

Don Juan, Siegfried, Tchaik 5, anyone?

There are quite a few contemporary compositions and musicians that/who make the case for this instrument.

P.S. Although I enjoy solo piano music very much indeed, I'm not big on piano concertos and much prefer violin concertos (Schoenberg's pc being one of a few exceptions).

• Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    There are quite a few contemporary compositions and musicians that/who make the case for this instrument.
    As it happens, a new duo for horn and percussion by myself was premiered this very evening, by Christine Chapman and Dirk Rothbrust (of the Musikfabrik ensemble), and I'm sitting here in my hotel room feeling really quite pleased about how it went. (Actually there aren't that many pieces which take the instrument into new areas, the "Appel Interstellaire" from Messiaen's Des canyons aux étoiles being one.) i don't think I really have a "favourite instrument" though.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Not my favourite instrument, but just to support the above posts, Brahms's trio for Horn, Violin and Piano is up there in the firmament with, oh, Mozart things and Schubert things....

The sublime adagio was composed, I believe, to express his grief over the death of his mother. Play it and weep at the Horn's soaring lines....

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Since retiring a few years ago
        Oh Beefy, I can't beleive it. You look so young in your picture.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Piano for me beefers ........ Beethoven sonatas .......

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

It would have to be the French horn in my case, too - it came into my head as soon as I saw the question. Richard Strauss understood the instrument better than most and to hear the full horn section in full cry in Don Juan, Ein Heldenleben and Eine Alpensinfonie is incredibly thrilling. Mahler, too, in the intro to the 3rd Symphony and the end of the 1st.

Love the horns in the trio of the Bruckner 6 scherzo, ditto the Beethoven Eroica, the start of Bruckner 4 and Schubert 9 and then the wonderful solo horn in Mahler 5 plus the epilogue to Heldenleben.

Wonderful instrument.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                Piano for me beefers ........ Beethoven sonatas .......
                I was going to say the same for me, AG!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Horn - Strauss second concerto
                  Clarinet - Rachmaninov second symphony slow movement
                  Piano - too many to choose....!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    It would have to be the French horn in my case, too - it came into my head as soon as I saw the question. Richard Strauss understood the instrument better than most and to hear the full horn section in full cry in Don Juan, Ein Heldenleben and Eine Alpensinfonie is incredibly thrilling. Mahler, too, in the intro to the 3rd Symphony and the end of the 1st.

Love the horns in the trio of the Bruckner 6 scherzo, ditto the Beethoven Eroica, the start of Bruckner 4 and Schubert 9 and then the wonderful solo horn in Mahler 5 plus the epilogue to Heldenleben.

Wonderful instrument.
                    Sitting behind the orchestra [which?] in King's College chapel circa 1966, very close to the horns, in the cadenza of Brahms 3 iv*, we could hear nothing but the horns!

(*I think I've got the right Brahms symphony here: the experience was unforgettable, though.

I agree about that horn theme in Strauss's Don Juan: for me it has always been like an icon, a symbol, of Romanticism.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

It has to be the clarinet..

(I have a b flat instrument under the stairs. I took it up for a couple of years more than 30 years ago, then laid it aside.)

Examples:
                      Obviously the Mozart Concerto and Quintet
                      Brahms Quintet
                      Weber: two concertos IIRC and another orchestral piece
                      Crusell passim
                      Schubert Shepherd on the Rock
                      Quattuor pour le Fin du Temps passim
                      Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue - (especially accompanied by the superb photography of Manhattan in the opening seqence of Woody Allen's eponyous movie)
                      Many solos in Bruckner - especially when the engineer has not potted it up so it sounds dwarfed as he intended

I rest my case.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

One of my earliest “aha” moments in Classical Music was the Horn into in Waltz Of the Flowers from the Nutcracker. OP mentioned II from Tchaikovsky 5, another formative bit, and the use of the horns in I from Brahms PC2 as well.
                        Don’t know if I have favorite instrument...

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          It has to be the clarinet /.../ I rest my case.
                          ... clarinets are nice, granted. But not much written for them before Mozart...

I like the sound of -

the cornett
                          the chalumeau
                          the bassoon
                          the oboe
                          the french horn, yes
                          the cello
                          the viola
                          the plucked string : yer harpsichord, yer lutes

sometimes I like to hear the cimbalom, the shakuhachi and the sitar and the shehnai, but that may be orientalism.

Last edited by vinteuil; 15-05-18, 11:58.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Many of my favourite horn moments already above....I mentioned one a few days ago on the recent concerts thread, the entry of the horns after the Wagner tubas in the coda of the adagio of Bruckner 7.....Prelude to Das Rheingold.....

Cello - Bach, Dvorak, Don Quixote, Act 4 Scene 1 of Don Carlo.....

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            the plucked string : yer harpsichord, yer lutes
                            If I had my time over again, and knowing what I know now, I'd learn the lute, rather than the guitar - all of them, from the Renaissance to the baroque. Here's Robert Barto playing Weiss's Tombeau sur la mort de M. Cajetan Baron d'Hartig....

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

I suppose it has to be the French horn for me too, but only the Vienna Philharmonic model.

Comment

Working...
                              X