Rossini all downhill after the overture ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    That's honest enough, if a bit harsh on the music you don't like because you hardly know it!
    As I said, I don't like it yet because I hardly know it. It isn't an active dislike, just an absence of like. I hope I have a few years left in which to get to grips with some of the music in that category...

By the way, welcome back, I haven't seen you around these parts for a while!

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      As I said, I don't like it yet because I hardly know it. It isn't an active dislike, just an absence of like.
      Apologies - I misunderstood your "don't like" to mean "dislike", as your other "don't like" clearly did.

By the way, welcome back, I haven't seen you around these parts for a while!
      Thanks. Unfortunately, for almost all the winter I was occupied with resolving an unpleasant legal matter affecting an elderly relative, which I hope is mostly sorted out now.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

I dislike the title of this thread:

"Rossini all downhill after the overture?"

I'm amazed why anyone would even think that. It's an insult to Rossini admirers to even hint at having to justify why they enjoy Rossini! I think it says more about the poster's appreciation of music than it does about Rossini's music!

I believe most good music can be enjoyed by the average listener if they are prepared to invest some effort and time.
        Last edited by Stanfordian; 08-06-18, 10:01.

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

I don't feel there is anything like "downhill after the overture" about Rossini.

To me, it is music to be enjoyed, just fun, engaging, tuneful, sometimes comic - what more could one ask?

And the overtures - some of the most energetic music around - Love it...

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            It's an insult to Rossini admirers to even hint at having to justify why they enjoy Rossini!
            I don't think anyone was being asked to "justify" why they enjoy Rossini, but to show to one who "struggles" what he's missing. More evangelising than justifying.

I would disagree that 'most good music can be enjoyed by the average listener if they are prepared to invest some effort and time'. That permits no possibility that what one enjoys depends to a certain amount on personal taste (or even interest).
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I would disagree that 'most good music can be enjoyed by the average listener if they are prepared to invest some effort and time'. That permits no possibility that what one enjoys depends to a certain amount on personal taste (or even interest).
              ... and a lot wd hang on what one understood by 'good' music.

Some people like Karl Jenkins, Eric Whitacre, Einaudi...

Am I supposed to put in any effort in trying to enjoy their work??

I love Rossini. Stendhal much preferred his early works. I used to share that view - but now very much like later works, particularly :

Matilde di Shabran

il Viaggio a Reims

le siège de Corinthe

le Comte Ory

Rossini for me is like Scarlatti and Haydn - the sheer joie de vivre is infectious, a delight...

Last edited by vinteuil; 08-06-18, 16:45.

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

I think what's been bothering me about the thread title is that the Overtures are assumed to be the best bits.

But I think if you only appreciate those, you haven't understood Rossini at all.

I heard them by the hundred in my youth as jolly concert openers. When I finally had the chance to hear them in the context of what came afterwards, it was a revelation.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

I don't think anyone was being asked to "justify" why they enjoy Rossini, but to show to one who "struggles" what he's missing. More evangelising than justifying.

Hiya french frank,

The title of the thread seems to infer to me that Rossini's music is the problem not the listener's ear.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Hiya french frank,

The title of the thread seems to infer to me that Rossini's music is the problem not the listener's ear.
                    Is there a difference between: 'It is the problem and 'Is it the problem?' ? And if you think the poster is saying the former (and their finger slipped, introducing an unintended question mark), you might suggest that, possibly, they would enjoy the music if they put a bit of effort into it. But I still wouldn't agree with you . Maybe my problem is having heard a certain singer of operatic arias tackling 'Una voce poco fa'.

Meanwhile, I am amused in my simple way that on googling 'Rossini' to check on his works, I am faced with:

People also ask

"What is a Rossini?"
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Well, the question mark does suggest that the Thread is open to discussion - and in the six weeks or so since it first appeared, it has certainly attracted many comments in support of Rossini.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Meanwhile, I am amused in my simple way that on googling 'Rossini' to check on his works, I am faced with:

People also ask

"What is a Rossini?"
                        ... along the lines of -

"Don't be stupid - Botticelli isn't a wine...

... it's a cheese."

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

People also ask

"What is a Rossini?"
                          Is it a sort of cocktail, like a Bellini?

If you were talking about the steak, you'd have to be more specific.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                            Is it a sort of cocktail, like a Bellini?

If you were talking about the steak, you'd have to be more specific.
                            Or Tournedos the other... cheek.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

An opportunity to test a whole Rossini Opera on Thursday afternoon, when The Siege of Corinth is broadcast:

Cass Elliot at her very best (she never liked the name 'Mama Cass'). Recorded in 1969. The video includes images of members of the Mamas and the Papas even ...
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Keraulophone
                                • Nov 2010

Continuing the foodie connection, after enduring four hours (plus intervals) of Guillaume Tell at Covent Garden, mainly because a friend was singing in the chorus, we enjoyed jugged hare in nearby Rules, the oldest restaurant in London, a rare treat that totally eclipsed the ennui earlier on.

Comment

Working...
                                X