• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    So - spoilt for choice really. Largely depends on the kind of organ sound that gets you going...

Yes that says it all!

I'm very fond of this series by Margaret Phillips (there are 8 in all to date, I think), especially this one recorded in St Louis on the Ile-St-Louis in Paris (my old local - la tienne aussi, vinteuil, je crois ):

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Braunschlag
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      I cannot see any Kevin Bowyer complete sets, just single CDs. I may collect Masaaki Suzuki's canon as it comes out? Any advixce?
      Depends if you want to bite the bullet and try this manifestation of the Bowyer -
      This new set is released in MP3 format at 320 kbps. You will be able to transfer the files directly to your iPod or MP3 player or play the discs on your computer, most DVD players and the latest generation of in car players. The notes to accompany the original CD release of this series are written by Wilfrid Mellers, Jonathan Baxendale and Kevin Bowyer. These texts are reproduced in their entirety and form an extended essay of 42,000 words which is included on Disc 8. It is formatted as a pdf file ready for printing on standard A4 paper. Also on Disc 8 is an excel spreadsheet listing the pieces in 3 ways: by track number, by title and by BWV number.

Ok, it’s an mp3 version but as it’s from Nimbus then you can expect it to be a notch or two above the usual 320kb versions. It’s the one I have in this version and it sounds absolutely fine to me. I suppose it all depends on your feelings about bit rates.

Comment

• Braunschlag
        • Jul 2017

Even cheaper on MDT.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

I have Simon Preston on DG but prefer Peter Hurford on Decca. I bought the 6 volume boxes of the Hurford on the Ovation label but it doesn't half take up the shelf space. If ever a set clamooured for re-issue in a compact box this does.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post

From earler decades, I always enjoyed Peter Hurford's LP sets. I believe they were all released on CD, though I'm not sure if they are still available. He (or the record company, Argo) were particularly skilled in making each side a well-balanced recital in its own right.
            Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            I have Simon Preston on DG but prefer Peter Hurford on Decca. I bought the 6 volume boxes of the Hurford on the Ovation label but it doesn't half take up the shelf space. If ever a set clamooured for re-issue in a compact box this does.
            ... et voici :

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post
              That's the set I have - and it was a bout the same price when I got it three or four years ago. The recorded sound is excellent, and the shelf space required is minimal. BUT, you do need to have an MP3 CD player (even if it's the one on your computer) in order to actually play the discs; they don't play on standard CD players.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... et voici :

http://amzn.eu/1KfXkkh.
                Had no idea of this re-issue. Thanks.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post
                  Depends if you want to bite the bullet and try this manifestation of the Bowyer -
                  This new set is released in MP3 format at 320 kbps. You will be able to transfer the files directly to your iPod or MP3 player or play the discs on your computer, most DVD players and the latest generation of in car players. The notes to accompany the original CD release of this series are written by Wilfrid Mellers, Jonathan Baxendale and Kevin Bowyer. These texts are reproduced in their entirety and form an extended essay of 42,000 words which is included on Disc 8. It is formatted as a pdf file ready for printing on standard A4 paper. Also on Disc 8 is an excel spreadsheet listing the pieces in 3 ways: by track number, by title and by BWV number.

Ok, it’s an mp3 version but as it’s from Nimbus then you can expect it to be a notch or two above the usual 320kb versions. It’s the one I have in this version and it sounds absolutely fine to me. I suppose it all depends on your feelings about bit rates.
                  IIRC an organ is less data hungry than, say, a harpsichord when it comes to lossy CODECs. I too have that set, bought when Nimbus suffered one of its collapses and stock was sold off at very low prices. I bought lots of other Nimbus issues at that time, including a shed load of their Indian classical recordings and some surround DVD-As. I agree the audio quality is more than acceptable but KB's Bach is not something I return to very often.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Does anyone know why BWV729 (In dulci jubilo), which we hear each year at the end of the Christmas Eve service from King's, does not feature in the Rogg Silbermann set, the set I have?

I don't think I've seen Hurford's name mentioned yet; isn't his set well thought of?

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I don't think I've seen Hurford's name mentioned yet; isn't his set well thought of?
                      Try http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...428#post674428 et seq.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Does anyone know why BWV729 (In dulci jubilo), which we hear each year at the end of the Christmas Eve service from King's, does not feature in the Rogg Silbermann set, the set I have?
                        I don't think that that's a complete set, Pulcie. With only 12 CDs, he must take the works at a helluva lick - all other complete sets take at least 14 discs. (Although I see that George Ritchie's "complete" set is boxed on 11 ... ???)

Have another look at Nos 12, 19, & 20.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Have another look at Nos 12, 19, & 20.
                          Ah! The dangers of dropping in only occasionally (and not reading all the posts since the last time of doing so).

The Hurford set is available in a previous incarnation here:

Only £199 (new CDs)!
                          Last edited by Pulcinella; 13-04-18, 10:07. Reason: Bryn thanked too, and note on previous incarnation of Hurford set added.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Ah! The dangers of dropping in only occasionally (and not reading all the posts since the last time of doing so).

The Hurford set is available in a previous incarnation here:

Only £199 (new CDs)!
                            £199! Gawd! Seen one for £41!
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                            X