X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Well I was restricting my "observations" to Lat's question with its implication of classical music being immune from market trends (if that's what he means), while trying to appear "ironic", because one way to ensure captive audience participation was to pose two alternative routes in the afterlife according to conduct in this one. Are you thinking of the present day cross-denominational embrace of black Gospel music as a congregation-pulling strategy? Insofar as Pentecostal branches are among the few gaining bigger attendances, the music could be regarded as an important gateway (to heaven) in their marketing, and they would seem to be succceeding!
    Regrettably, new gospel which has now been around for a long time is not the old gospel, if you follow me, and it never can be. However, it has a slightly bewildering interest for me in that I find it fascinating how it has mopped up a range of lost trends. By far and away the biggest of these is pop based in jazz-funk. In 2018, go to a gospel church in East London for a Robbie Vincent Weekender in Caistor albeit with a twist. Increasingly, it is also picking up on the indie-ish mainstream just before it largely said goodbye to the tunes. In the UK, think somewhere between Travis and Coldplay c 2001. You pay your money on what you wish here. Mahalia Jackson as just one example of the golden age and originally prior to 1945. The Winans and Isley Japer Isley setting part of today's scene a bit after 1981. In fact, the mid 1980s. Or the Staple Singers. What? 60s? Early 70s? The first new gospel and substantive.
    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 09-04-18, 22:19.

Comment

Working...
    X