X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
    I would add Our Hunting Fathers to that list. It thunders against the suffering of animals, but these could count for mankind. I have a BBC recording, now deleted, in which Pears is extraordinary, but I don't seem to be able to locate a recent version, although I have heard Ian Bostridge in a concert a couple of years ago.
    Yes indeed, Our Hunting Fathers is very much the sort of piece relevant to this thread. Britten uses the suffering of animals as a metaphor for mankind. There is a recording on the LPO label with Heather Harper and Bernard Haitink.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      Britten's Violin Concerto - I regard as a 20th century masterwork.
      I couldn't agree more!

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

I've always thought that the Golden period in British Classical music is around 1880-1920.
        ... surely the two great periods in British music are 1420-1453 and 1600-1695. Nothing since matches the works produced then.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

I've always thought that the Golden period in British Classical music is around 1880-1920.
          I completely agree but then I don't know how to acquire a music map of 1420-1453 and 1600-1695.

If I had one, I might find it easier to learn more about the music of those periods.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
            I completely agree but then I don't know how to acquire a music map of 1420-1453 and 1600-1695.

If I had one, I might find it easier to learn more about the music of those periods.
            I know very little about the C15 period apart from what I am informed is the big influence exerted on the subsequent school of Flemish polyphonists by the choral works of John Dunstable (died 1452). The C17 is represented by the final stages of the English High Renaissance school of church composers, led by Byrd and Tallis; the lutenists, clavichordists, early harpsichordists and song writers such as Dowland, bridging to Purcell by figures such as Henry Lawes, who translated the choral polyphonic into the instrumental in elaborated form as well as taking on board the newest developments out of Italy, particularly in instrumental applications. I, too, would love to be more knowledgeable about both of these periods, loving as I do so much of the music produced in them.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post

You’d need a proper map there , Lat.

The golden ages ,apparently , of British music , were English, Scottish and Welsh.

I don’t know why they bothered after that.

( need to be careful using the “E” word though, not very fashionable these days.)
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... surely the two great periods in British music are 1420-1453 and 1600-1695. Nothing since matches the works produced then.

Max Davies, Birtwistle, Malcolm Arnold, Rawsthorne, Robert Simpson, John McCabe, Humphrey Searle, Hugh Wood, David and Colin Matthews, Adès, Robin Holloway, Ferneyhough…

Look at Lyrita, and this NMC catalogue…..

BBCSO & Proms Commissions, Huddersfield CMF, London Sinfonietta, BCMG…..

Not sure about Great or Golden Ages, but after Elgar, Holst, VW, Walton, Bax, Tippett, Bridge, Britten in the earlier 20thC., Post-War has been a very varied, rich and rewarding time for British Music….

Comment

Working...
                X