• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Debussy in Paris...Sat 25th March

I think much of Radio 3 will be devoted to Debussy. Really enjoyed CotW this week. I hope Saturday will be good:

Pelleas et Melisande in the evening. Doesn't say whether it's live or not.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    I think much of Radio 3 will be devoted to Debussy. Really enjoyed CotW this week. I hope Saturday will be good:

Pelleas et Melisande in the evening. Doesn't say whether it's live or not.
    Looks likely to be this one.

[Unfortunately, not one of the Wiener Staatsoper productions available to view in demand for €5.]
    Last edited by Bryn; 22-03-18, 09:28. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Hmm, another fine mess of a listing for "An Invocation to Pan". Where to start? The main listing which wrongly has the Trois Chansons de Bilitis and the final item in the programme, or the false claim that the work actually performed at that point being another arrangement by Saledo and Kanga (who were, at least, the arrangers contributing to the first item, the Ravel Sonatina, in the performance of which Leslie Caron played no part, contrary to the listing). My guess is that the version of Chansons de Bilitis (not Trois Chansons de Bilitis) performed by said Leslie Caron and the Nash Ensemble was that in which the celesta part was reconstructed by Boulez, a favourite Debussy rarity of mine. How can they get so much wrong in such a relatively short listing? Good programme though. Best to avoid the corrupt listing, however.

Oh, and Stravinsky's 3 Japanese Lyrics are attributed to Shostakovich.
      Last edited by Bryn; 24-03-18, 23:06.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

They seem to have corrected some of the more glaring errors on the Website - but I think Bryn is correct in identifying the Boulez arrangement of the Debussy, if this programme from last month is the source of the broadcast:

The Nash Ensemble of London has built up a remarkable reputation as one of Britain's finest chamber music groups and has gained a similar reputation all over the world
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I switched on several times today. It's been surprisingly good - credit where it's due. I was anticipating a diet of bleeding chunks of La Mer, Gollywog's Cakewalk, The Girl with the Flaxen Hair, Clair de Lune, and Arabesque no. 1.

But it's been a good day on Radio 3.

Even Saturday Classics.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
            • Dec 2010

I am hoping to listen to the " walk through Debussy's Paris" but not all the episodes are available. Is this likely to be policy or am I doing something incorrectly (as is so often the case)?

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
              I am hoping to listen to the " walk through Debussy's Paris" but not all the episodes are available. Is this likely to be policy or am I doing something incorrectly (as is so often the case)?
              According to this, there are 6 'episodes' avaiable and 0 not available. Which specific programmes are you thinking of?

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                According to this, there are 6 'episodes' available and 0 not available. Which specific programmes are you thinking of?
                That link lists 9 episodes of which 6 are available: the remainder 3 are the ones I would like to hear.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                  That link lists 9 episodes of which 6 are available: the remainder 3 are the ones I would like to hear.
                  Looking more closely, https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09wv5q8 appears to be a duplicate of https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09wv5q6#play which is available. The other two 'missing' items can be found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p061w0x6 and during http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09wv444 . It's a pity that those responsible for Radio 3 listings don't seem to check these things out to make access to such items more convenient.
                  Last edited by Bryn; 27-03-18, 14:30. Reason: Typos

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                    • Dec 2010

Only 5 items are listed on Saturday's schedule, so the sixth is presumably the one "during" something else. I agree with your final sentence. (I have no right to complain: I do not fund the BBC, as far as I know).

Comment

Working...
                    X