Elgar/Payne Symphony No 3 - is it to fade out of sight ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Elgar/Payne Symphony No 3 - is it to fade out of sight ?

I noticed a recentish review that referred to Anthony Payne's realisation as having had a vogue and that this was fading.

Indeed a quick search on backtrack showed no future performaced planned. I for one should be sad if this were the case . I think that it is an outstandingly satisfying work demonstrating not only the richness if much of the source material as well as the talent of Mr Payne in making a coherent work from the sketches.
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I noticed a recentish review that referred to Anthony Payne's realisation as having had a vogue and that this was fading.

Indeed a quick search on backtrack showed no future performaced planned. I for one should be sad if this were the case . I think that it is an outstandingly satisfying work demonstrating not only the richness if much of the source material as well as the talent of Mr Payne in making a cohertent work from the sketches.
    I doubt you have much to worry about. The work is 'out there', with a published score and several recordings; it won't be ignored. Famously, Elgar's 1st (which really was by him) received a hundred performances in its first year - then there must have been a really dramatic slackening off. But it's hardly been forgotten.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

I believe that the Elgar/Payne also notched up around 100 performances in its first year. I'm in agreement with Barbs that it is a deeply moving and satisfying work. I have all four of the recordings so far made, and while I've not played them for a while the work is as much in my conscious mind as many another piece not heard in a long time.

Having been present at the Proms premiere in 1998 I'd most certainly welcome more performances.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        I believe that the Elgar/Payne also notched up around 100 performances in its first year. I'm in agreement with Barbs that it is a deeply moving and satisfying work. I have all four of the recordings so far made, and while I've not played them for a while the work is as much in my conscious mind as many another piece not heard in a long time.

Having been present at the Proms premiere in 1998 I'd most certainly welcome more performances.
        The première wasn't at the Proms, though - and yes, it still has currency which I don't think will ever go away!
        Last edited by ahinton; 02-03-18, 09:17.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          The première wasn't at the Proms. though - and yes, it still has currency which I don't think will ever go away!
          Sorry for slightly clumsy wording, the first performance was at the RFH in February 1998 as I well knew. I attended the first Proms performance as well as the fascinating pre-Proms talk which Payne gave.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

I believe that the Elgar/Payne also notched up around 100 performances in its first year...
            Mmm... That's two live performances a week. I believe the Elgar 1 is some sort of record for a symphonic work, followed by RVW 6 with more than 60.

Maybe the Elgar/Payne notched up that number in broadcasts.

Also, there's been at least five recordings (Andrew and Colin Davis, Daniel, Hickox and Otaaka).

Comment

• Conchis
              Banned
              • Jun 2014

I tried listening to Elgar 3 once - but I didn't make it very far. I found it a bit too Payneful.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                I tried listening to Elgar 3 once - but I didn't make it very far. I found it a bit too Payneful.
                Oh, dearie me! That one again! I suppose that, had Edmund Rubbra done the work instead of Tony Payne, you'd have said that it's Rubbish...

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

I think it's a wonderful achievement, and hope - and believe - that it won't fade away.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                    Late Member
                    • Sep 2012

Indeed a quick search on backtrack showed no future performaced planned. I for one should be sad if this were the case . I think that it is an outstandingly satisfying work demonstrating not only the richness if much of the source material as well as the talent of Mr Payne in making a coherent work from the sketches.
                    Call it by some apt name, like Elgariana and it will, hopefully, survive - as tribute to the memory of a great Composer, but not as Elgar's 3rd symphony.

HS
                    Last edited by Hornspieler; 02-03-18, 10:45.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                      • Oct 2012

Well as it was performed at last year's proms as part of an Elgar symphony cycle I don't think it's quite fading into oblivion yet. Be interesting to know what that most distinguished of non-British Elgarians, Maestro Barenboim, makes of it.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                        I can't say I hear much of Anthony Payne in it. I think Payne did a remarkable job at concealing his own compositional fingerprints from the piece to the extent that, by his own admission, he found it nigh impossible to create again in his own voice for months after completing the work.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

I haven’t played this work for a long time now and I do hope that it won’t be a neglected in any way. Anthony Payne did a fantastic job.
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                            I can't say I hear much of Anthony Payne in it. I think Payne did a remarkable job at concealing his own compositional fingerprints from the piece to the extent that, by his own admission, he found it nigh impossible to create again in his own voice for months after completing the work.
                            Agree with that assessment. Anyone interested in the detail of how Payne set about the reconstruction needs to read this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgars-Thir...=anthony+payne

It's a bit technical in places but is still a fascinating insight into the {re}creative process.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Agree with that assessment. Anyone interested in the detail of how Payne set about the reconstruction needs to read this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgars-Thir...=anthony+payne

It's a bit technical in places but is still a fascinating insight into the {re}creative process.
                              Listening to it again the other night in the Paul Daniel recording I was struck by very much the same how unlike Payne's own music it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X