• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    I meant to add "trailers"!

(I don't get the reference to "Time Travellers", though ... ? )
    See #37?

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

I like: COTW, Words and Music, CD/Record Review, Choral Evensong, relays of live performances, Private Passions, almost all of the presenters
      I dislike: The Choir (R3's Sing Something Simple), trailer repetitions,
      I am in two minds about: In Tune, Tom Service, Essential Classics
      Hope this helps.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        See #37?
        I did - and I googled "BBC Radio 3 Time Travellers" and was still Sister Ignoramus (Nun the Wiser).
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bergonzi
          Banned
          • Feb 2018

Bring back CD Masters!!!!

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

I did - and I googled "BBC Radio 3 Time Travellers" and was still Sister Ignoramus (Nun the Wiser).
            According to the Radio Times, it's 'a quirky slice of cultural history' broadcast Monday to Friday at (I think) 10.10 - so you've just missed today's episode!

The only programmes I ALWAYS enjoy are Jazz Record Requests and Private Passions.
            I SOMETIMES like: CotW (depending on who the 'C' is), TTN (if I can't sleep and there's nothing interesting on the World Service), and lunchtime, afternoon and evening concerts (if they include favourite works/performers or works previously unknown to me that look interesting).
            I'm not sure how helpful this is - it's just that I listen to Radio 3 a lot less than I used to and to Radio 4 a lot more. I also watch a wide variety of orchestral and chamber works on You Tube and listen to whole works on Amazon Music.
            Last edited by LMcD; 28-02-18, 11:52.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Very possibly - but I hope that the equal emphasis on positives will prove useful and productive. (I've never seen the option "What do you like about the other parties' policies?" on such Party polls )
              I thought that the comments, and pros and cons, might yield a more balanced picture. The things that people like are just as informative since they indicate: THIS WAY, please.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                According to the Radio Times, it's 'a quirky slice of cultural history' broadcast Monday to Friday at (I think) 10.10 - so you've just missed today's episode!
                Ah! Lux Facta Est ("I wash my hands of this") - many thanks, LMcD. On the occasions when I've given EC "another go", it's always been between 9:00 and 10:00, so I've never encountered this segment. I don't feel encouraged to do so ...
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Ah! Lux Facta Est ("I wash my hands of this") - many thanks, LMcD. On the occasions when I've given EC "another go", it's always been between 9:00 and 10:00, so I've never encountered this segment. I don't feel encouraged to do so ...
                  I usually give it 'another go' after 11.00 - when they used to play something substantial.....Ah, those dear, dead days beyond recall (or those Blue Remembered Hills if you prefer).

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

I tend to find the first hour the least satisfactory - the hand-over from Breakfast and the need to set out the EC stall tends to frontload the dross element.

Comment

• Howdenite
                      • Nov 2010

99% of my listening is on the IPlayer, so I really don't hear much except programs I choose to follow, but...

Won't miss: Record Review/BAL, many COTW programs (depends on the composer, but a brilliant program regardless)

Like: Monday lunchtime concert (and some other complete lunchtime concerts), evening concerts, Music Matters (some), Listening Service, Proms

Miss terribly: Discovering Music (thank heaven for the ones available on the IPlayer), Early Music Show with Catherine Bott, other programs that explored a facet of music such as the amazing set of programs in the early 2000's that explored Britten's operas (I cancelled holidays and family events so I didn't miss any!)

Don't like: noisy trailers, trailers to programs that sound interesting but I can't fine, silly requests to tweet in or comment, contests, chopped up programming (I only listen to Essential Classics on the rare occasion I need to drive somewhere)

I can't say how much Radio 3 has added to my life. I have learned so much about music, and been introduced to so much music I'd never otherwise have found that I can't even begin to express how much Radio 3 has meant to me. It may not be as good as it was, but it is still there and is a big part of my life.

Comment

• Constantbee
                        • Jul 2017

The Proms
                        Lunchtime Concerts
                        Coverage of regional music festivals
                        Live broadcasts
                        Early Music Show
                        CotW
                        Jazz Now

If I didn’t care about the station I wouldn’t be here, would I, so …

Dislikes

Playlist programmes.
                        Too much choirs.
                        Sound of Cinema (much prefer Saturday Night at the Movies on Cfm).
                        Nothing at all on video music.
                        Some of the people they brush the dust off for Private Passions.
                        Not enough for students, young people and adult learners.
                        Not enough audience participation. Reading contributions from Esteemed Fellow Forumites I am absolutely convinced that there are people here who would do an excellent job of putting together an hour’s worth of their own personal favourites for broadcast, with their reasons for choosing them. Once in a while that could be very refreshing
                        And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

<< Not enough for students, young people and adult learners. >>

Yes, oh, yes, oh yes.

Comment

• Beresford
                            • Apr 2012

I like Radio3 as it is, mostly because of "Listen Again" and the schedules on the web pages. When I have an hour, I go through the schedules of yesterday's playlist programmes -TTN, Breakfast, Essential Classics- then listen to say 5 or 6 items that excite my curiosity. More checklist than playlist. Sometimes it triggers a CD purchase.

There are several good presenter-free classical channels on the internet - but they can sound a bit soulless after a time, and most of them don't offer Listen Again. And then there is CFM (Your Thousand Best Tunes) with it's infuriating adverts. France Musique is the best rival I know of, but it's schedules and Listen Again are a bit more hit and miss, and the presenters have a completely different way of being annoying!

On R3 there is just enough Opera, Jazz, World Music, and LJ stuff to keep their enthusiasts listening. Is there any space for electro-acoustic?
                            On presenters, Suzie Klein has a very clear voice, and is becoming less effusive - I know she has some strong views that are probably censored by the producer.
                            Tom Service - what he says is ok - but his voice is unfortunate. I just have to pretend the words are coming from David Attenborough or Verity Sharp. Maybe someone could give him a relaxation pill before recording. Even Elizabeth Alker is sounding better now that she is beginning to relax a bit.

There could be a "Morning Symphony" slot, but I suspect it would turn out to be very unadventurous.
                            One possibility would be a slot for guest presenters to talk about some piece they really like, saying what they like about it, and which performances they prefer. The current Saturday Classics format is too much like Private Passions - tells you more about the person's musical history than about the music.

Comment

• Jonathan
                              • Mar 2007

I dislike programmes with mixed up bits (e.g. IT), trailers, the news, pointless tweets and drivelling on about nothing of any relevence to the music.

I do like whole works so CoTW (dependent on the composer), lunchtime concerts, Proms, Afternoon concerts and Radio 3 in concert are all good.

Having said that, I too fall into the rarely listen category these days and when I have time, i'm invariably in the car when something I don't want to hear is playing.
                              Best regards,
                              Jonathan

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                                << Not enough for students, young people and adult learners. >>

Yes, oh, yes, oh yes.
                                That's a really interesting one - which ought to have its own thread (not about 'what I like, don't like' about Radio 3 as it is.

Statement: what it aims to achieve. How to achieve it, what kind of programming.

I'm sure Radio 3 would be very interested in any new ideas on the subject. My defeatist reaction is No, no, no, for reasons which could be expanded. (Btw, we are all 'adult learners' aren't we? Or do some of us exclude ourselves?)
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X