• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Kronos Quartet. Fifty for the Future

This looks well worth investigating.

I don't think I had heard of it. A wealth if inspirational material if , like me you are stuck at home with a rotten cold.

Or even if you aren't.

My first port of call was this.

You can learn to play this piece. FREE scores and parts, among other materials, are available online: kronosquartet.org/fifty-for-the-future Composed by Franghiz Ali-Zadeh © 2016 Kronos Arts Publish
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Surely the first port of call is this?

Thanks for the links

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Five more new string quartets.

https://soundcloud.com/kronosquartet...22](?%3Curl%3E[%5E%7B'%22].+?)['%22])&href_id_source=vr2-href-id-source-8
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

This seems to be the most recently contributed thread re the Kronos Quartet, so . . .

I was listening to Morton Feldman's Piano and String Quartet, as recorded by Aki Takamitsu and the Kronos Qt (for whom it was composed) this morning, and was struck by the degree of vibrato that the quartet employed. In search of more information, I came across a report by Harrington that in rehearsal with Feldman present, Morty said it should sound like Schubert. He went on the discuss various approaches to vibrato. My understanding re the history of the employment of vibrato in Schubert's time was that it was somewhat frowned upon except as an occasional expressive device. Knowing his devotion to the music of Schubert, I wonder whether Richard Barrett and others might like to comment on how the Kronos translated Feldman's remark into their performance practice in this recording?

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          This seems to be the most recently contributed thread re the Kronos Quartet, so . . .

I was listening to Morton Feldman's Piano and String Quartet, as recorded by Aki Takamitsu and the Kronos Qt (for whom it was composed) this morning, and was struck by the degree of vibrato that the quartet employed. In search of more information, I came across a report by Harrington that in rehearsal with Feldman present, Morty said it should sound like Schubert. He went on the discuss various approaches to vibrato. My understanding re the history of the employment of vibrato in Schubert's time was that it was somewhat frowned upon except as an occasional expressive device. Knowing his devotion to the music of Schubert, I wonder whether Richard Barrett and others might like to comment on how the Kronos translated Feldman's remark into their performance practice in this recording?
          I like that recording very much (Takahashi not Takemitsu!), although it doesn't sound much like my idea of Schubert. I guess Harrington and Feldman's idea of what Schubert should sound like was one based on pre-HIPP ideas of vibrato in early Romantic music.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            I like that recording very much (Takahashi not Takemitsu!), although it doesn't sound much like my idea of Schubert. I guess Harrington and Feldman's idea of what Schubert should sound like was one based on pre-HIPP ideas of vibrato in early Romantic music.
            That's the weirdest bit of autocorrect I have come across in a while. I feel sure I typed Takahashi, though I may possibly have hit an "e" after the "k". I hear that vowel more as a lightly voiced "e", rather than an "a". I have no qualms about Aki's contribution. I do, however, get on better with the HCMF performance from John Tilbury and the Smith Quartet (as then comprised), who largely eschewed vibrato.

Comment

Working...
            X