X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mahlerei
    • Jun 2015

Dutoit in the dock

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra cancels Charles Dutoit's appearances "for the immediate future".
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Yes, I saw this. When will it end?
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      Yes, I saw this. When will it end?
      When men stop abusing their power - I fear we have a long wait .

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

... of course unfortunately he is not "in the dock".

I find it problematic that we are currently having a season of "trial by media", with few of the cases ever being brought to trial.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

With all his money, talent and allure, why couldn't he just go about getting a girlfriend in the normal way? You know, give out a sign you're interested, gauge the response and if you think it's positive, ask her if she wants to go to the cinema or a pie & mash lunch. The rest will, or will not, follow as the case may be.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            With all his money, talent and allure, why couldn't he just go about getting a girlfriend in the normal way? You know, give out a sign you're interested, gauge the response and if you think it's positive, ask her if she wants to go to the cinema or a pie & mash lunch. The rest will, or will not, follow as the case may be.
            Hiya Beefy,

I woke up to these Dutoit allegations this morning on the BBC news so it is disseminating the news here. If the allegations are true, he's got away with it for so long, then I hope he gets what he deserves. It's the ex-wives including Martha Argerich and Chantal Juillet, and his children and extended family that I feel sorry for and have to suffer the potential damage from the fall out.
            Last edited by Stanfordian; 22-12-17, 13:57.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              Thing is, it's not about attraction. It's not even essentially about sex. It's about power.

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Thing is, it's not about attraction. It's not even essentially about sex. It's about power.
                Spot on Nethersage.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                  Spot on Nethersage.
                  Or more precisely abuse of power.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... of course unfortunately he is not "in the dock".

I find it problematic that we are currently having a season of "trial by media", with few of the cases ever being brought to trial.

Vints hits the nail on the head here. There is no guarantee that these allegations are truthful until tested in the courtroom under rule of law. There is an alarming tendency to believe all women (or men in the case of Levine) tell the truth. Trial by the Press and 'social media' should be unacceptable in a democratic society. Careers and reputations can be comprehensively trashed by anyone bearing a grudge and we get nearer to the lynch mob with every passing day.

These women should file a complaint with the police and let justice take its course.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Darkbloom
                      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      Vints hits the nail on the head here. There is no guarantee that these allegations are truthful until tested in the courtroom under rule of law. There is an alarming tendency to believe all women (or men in the case of Levine) tell the truth. Trial by the Press and 'social media' should be unacceptable in a democratic society. Careers and reputations can be comprehensively trashed by anyone bearing a grudge and we get nearer to the lynch mob with every passing day.

These women should file a complaint with the police and let justice take its course.
                      I think isolated cases can be scrutinised more closely, but when you get multiple reports about the same person then your opinion might change. It seems like these people were pretty notorious but were using their status to get away with it and nobody (understandably) was willing to sacrifice their career to hold them to account. I see this as a bit of house cleaning to root out the worst offenders and draw a clear line about future behaviour. It's not uncommon for many years to pass before allegations come out, as we have seen with the Catholic church.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

The star system, driven by the power of the media, is an important factor in why people develop predatory behaviour, in my view.

Trial by media is potentially dangerous and a blunt weapon, but failures by the proper authorities sometimes, ( often? ) leave room for some necessary work by the media.

The sort of systemic problems that we appear to have aren't going to be solved only by waiting for the local police and courts to act, I'm afraid. Because, apart from anything else, they don't always act as they should.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post
                          I think isolated cases can be scrutinised more closely, but when you get multiple reports about the same person then your opinion might change. It seems like these people were pretty notorious but were using their status to get away with it and nobody (understandably) was willing to sacrifice their career to hold them to account. I see this as a bit of house cleaning to root out the worst offenders and draw a clear line about future behaviour. It's not uncommon for many years to pass before allegations come out, as we have seen with the Catholic church.
                          While keeping an open mind, one notes that one of the complainants was Sylvia McNair - someone who could have her reputation ruined if she was found to have invented a story of this kind. Just to weigh matters up …
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post
                            Hiya Dark Bloom,

Hey, be careful, singling out the Catholic Church is unfair! Historical sex abuse allegations involve lots of other organisations: Football Coaching, Scouting, Boy's Choirs, Jehovah's Witnesses, Swimming Coaching, BBC, Local Authority Children's Homes, Church of England and Max Clifford are just a few examples from recent years that spring to mind.
                            Last edited by Stanfordian; 22-12-17, 16:20.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              While keeping an open mind, one notes that one of the complainants was Sylvia McNair - someone who could have her reputation ruined if she was found to have invented a story of this kind. Just to weigh matters up …
                              Though the torygraph doesn't give too many details to rule out the possibility that the lift was crowded in her case, but the tongue business etc. does sound like a deliberate power grab. I think beefy indicates the problem and possible solution for anyone who wants to play fair. Bryn has pointed out that this is perhaps more about power than anything else.

Comment

Working...
                              X