Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    You still sound as if you believe that Vera Lynn was subject to a "ban" - she wasn't. We'll Meet Again, Yours, There'll be Bluebirds and her other songs were broadcast on the BBC throughout the War. (Others of her contemporaries were not so lucky - their removal from the airwaves were indeed in response to fears that sentimentality was undermining morale, as you suggest - and which the Conversation article also mentions. But these restrictions did not apply to Dame Vera.)
    I think we can blame SK's script for any confusion here - I came away (knowing nothing more about the subject) with the distinct impression that the Beeb did stop playing her sentimental stuff in the early years and that she resurfaced in film..... I was expecting her to mention Lili Marlene, a German song recorded in an up-tempo version by Lale Andersen in 1939 but appropriated by the English speaking world and sung in a more seductive tempo by Marlene Dietrich.... I see from the Wiki article that Goebbels tried to ban it, something of a mirror image of what did or didn't happen to Vera....

Aside from the songs, John Culshaw relates in Putting the Record Straight how Vera nearly ended his career before it began, shrieking [sic] at him over the phone over an innocent mix-up and going to the boss of Decca (p. 57 )

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      I think we can blame SK's script for any confusion here - I came away (knowing nothing more about the subject) with the distinct impression that the Beeb did stop playing her sentimental stuff in the early years and that she resurfaced in film...

That's exactly what SK said, in my recollection, I agree!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

It was sloppy if not deliberate . They took her programme Sincerely Yours off in which she sang and played other people's records . They did not stop her records being played which were considered as I understood it generally uplifting as her three biggest numbers all look forward to the world after victory.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

Is it something about Vera Lynn? While I am generally supportive of the woman she is now in the record books as the oldest person ever to release a disc. However, my understanding is that the disc in question contained no newly recorded material. Unlike, for example, Pete Seeger's "At 89", the number in the title denoting his age then. Also, there's Tony Bennett!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

The bluebirds of which she sings remain something of a mystery - probably something that only bothers birders.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I think we can blame SK's script for any confusion here
              So who wrote SK's script?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                So who wrote SK's script?
                Er.....SK

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Er.....SK
                  "In the beginning was The Word"

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    "In the beginning was The Word"
                    Presenting, script writing, wearing fur hats, playing piano, singing. Is there no end?... What about dancing! Or did I miss it?
                    Last edited by Stanfordian; 20-10-17, 15:58.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      Presenting, script writing, wearing fur hats, playing piano, singing. Is there no end?... What about dancing! Or did I miss it?
                      You forgot about script reading!

Comment

• Boilk
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                        The composer who most caught my attention was Hugo Distler.

Must find out more about him and maybe get hold of some of his choral pieces.
                        I heartily recommend his first harpsichord concerto, here in a somewhat overly-reverberant acoustic:

There's a fine Thorofon CD with both harpsichord concertos, the Vienna Academy is conducted from the harpsichord by Martin Haseblock.

Comment

• Braunschlag
                          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                          Hiya Braunschlag,

In Berlin I can highly recommended a visit to the 'Stasi Museum'. Covert cameras as big as suitcases etc!
                          Reporting back - it was a super 5 day visit to Berlin. Stasi museum was very interesting, tucked away in a suburb, we were impressed by the detail and the way it was laid out, especially taken by the ‘odour samples’!
                          Not the most beautiful capital city but there’s a lot to see, and we much preferred the East Berlin areas.
                          Found a local kneipe which served us well and cheaply (€2.80 / 0.5l, and a home brew to boot).
                          A most enjoyable visit.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post
                            Reporting back - it was a super 5 day visit to Berlin. Stasi museum was very interesting, tucked away in a suburb, we were impressed by the detail and the way it was laid out, especially taken by the ‘odour samples’!
                            Not the most beautiful capital city but there’s a lot to see, and we much preferred the East Berlin areas.
                            Found a local kneipe which served us well and cheaply (€2.80 / 0.5l, and a home brew to boot).
                            A most enjoyable visit.
                            Glad you enjoyed the trip!

Comment

Working...
                            X