Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... many thanks, MickyD - duly ordered. A long time fan of la Ameling and Demus; an unconditional Schubertian, I have problems with Schumann lieder - this may help. I certainly liked this one :

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      . . . I have problems with Schumann lieder . . . .
      If Dichterliebe doesn't overcome them - then you do indeed have problems.
      Olaf Bär (baritone), Geoffrey Parsons (piano). EMI Records, 1986.

(forget about the Liederkreis)
      HTH
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        Leif Ove Andsnes /Artemis Quartet. Coupled with the Brahms Op. 34
        Bits of this are quite pleasant. I mentioned Argerich earlier - since she was mentioned further up - a quick sample suggests to me that she takes some of it far too fast - not really good at all.

I still have problems with the scherzo of this quintet - even with some of the supposed "best" performers. To me the pianists often get the rhythm wrong, and sometimes even seem to put in an extra beat in the rising figuration at the end. I wonder if there are/were several editions of the score, and if some of them have accents put in - and others none at all.

What I saw from IMSLP was really quite simple - I can't understand why most pianists seem incapable of playing it as written - or is it technically difficult? The keyboard players on the older instruments (or perhaps replica/copies) didn't seem to find it too difficult. It might sound less "interesting" played simply - but that appeared to me to be what it should be.

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... many thanks, MickyD - duly ordered. A long time fan of la Ameling and Demus; an unconditional Schubertian, I have problems with Schumann lieder - this may help. I certainly liked this one :

Ooh, yes...I have all of those Prégardien/Staier discs, Vints...great stuff. I KNOW you will enjoy that Ameling disc.

Having been egged on by Jayne, I ordered the Winter and Winter disc as opposed to the Chandos one - mainly due to the fact that it employs a Graf fortepiano, my absolute favourite period piano sound.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            Having been egged on by Jayne, I ordered the Winter and Winter disc as opposed to the Chandos one - mainly due to the fact that it employs a Graf fortepiano, my absolute favourite period piano sound.
            I think I could make a case for having both!

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Ooh, yes...I have all of those Prégardien/Staier discs, Vints...great stuff. I KNOW you will enjoy that Ameling disc.

Staying off-subject ... I have about 15 Dichterliebes on CD but not Prégardien (v tempted). Been looking at Robin Tritschler who's doing it at Wig Hall in a couple of weeks. A very interesting Heine-based recital. A fine tenor. Just enjoying his new Robert Franz disc on Hyperion

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                I think I could make a case for having both!
                Yes, I have a strange feeling that I might just do that, Dave!

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Yes, I have a strange feeling that I might just do that, Dave!
                  Quite expensive at am.uk right now - not sure why - but just about affordable if you really want it at Presto - https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/cl...ajor-op-44-etc a tad under £13. It's better than a lot of other performances so could be worth it.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Anyone noticed - or even tried - this one - https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/cl...piano-quintets Earl Wild - orchestral arrangement of Schumann and Dohnanyi quintets.

I'm intrigued, but perhaps not to the extent of £12 or so.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Anyone noticed - or even tried - this one - https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/cl...piano-quintets Earl Wild - orchestral arrangement of Schumann and Dohnanyi quintets.

I'm intrigued, but perhaps not to the extent of £12 or so.
                      Quite by coincidence, of late I've been thinking about getting a recording of that Dohnanyi piano quintet. Haven't got one.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        Quite by coincidence, of late I've been thinking about getting a recording of that Dohnanyi piano quintet. Haven't got one.
                        Now you'll have me unwrap my CD of the Schubert Ensemble of London in both of Dahnanyi's quintets. It's on Hyperion and highly recommended. I have heard several recordings of number 2, and also a live performance not too long ago. Most commentators seem to prefer the first quintet though. I don't know that one as well.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Now you'll have me unwrap my CD of the Schubert Ensemble of London in both of Dahnanyi's quintets. It's on Hyperion and highly recommended. I have heard several recordings of number 2, and also a live performance not too long ago. Most commentators seem to prefer the first quintet though. I don't know that one as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dohnanyi-Qu...+piano+quintet
                          You've spurred me on! I've stopped dithering and the Hyperion ALAC file is downloading as I type!

(and I saw a few more Dohnanyi albums that I fancy, so I averted my eyes!)

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

Ameling's voice is at her youthful best, but you will need to like the sound of an old piano, bbm. It's a beautiful recording belying its 1960s vintage.

I picked up a cassette copy of this somewhere & -when, and loved it till it went wonky Got the CD: it's a snip
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Listening to ......

Charles Wuorinen - Piano Quintet
                              Contemporary Music Group, Naxos.

This is a powerful Second Viennese School chamber composition that shamelessly flaunts its Webern influences.

In terms of 'modern' music, this piece is as important to me as Frank Bridge's much earlier Piano Trio #2.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Listening to ......

Ernst Toch - Piano Quintet.
                                Spectrum Concerts Berlin, Naxos.

Comment

Working...
                                X