X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
    We are told that Robert Schumann invented the piano 5tet but shouldn't the credit go much further back, to a certain W A Mozart? At least three of his piano concertos exist in his own versions with accompaniment from string quartet, as here:

If something looks like a piano quintet and sounds like a piano quintet, isn't it a piano quintet??
    True, of course, but the difference here is arguably that Schumann's excellent work was initially intended to be a piano quintet whereas those Mozart Concertos were arranged by their composer for piano quintet, so the claim for RS as the instigator of that medium is not without some truth, methinks...

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      True, of course, but the difference here is arguably that Schumann's excellent work was initially intended to be a piano quintet whereas those Mozart Concertos were arranged by their composer for piano quintet, so the claim for RS as the instigator of that medium is not without some truth, methinks...
      ... I refer mlearnedfriend to #27 supra -

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      And what about the Boccherini piano quintets [ "per forte-piano, 2 violini, viola, e violoncello" ] op 56 and op 57 of 1797 and 1798/99 -

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Not if Mozart did the arrangement before the Schumann Quintet. He may have heard the Mozart and thought that's a good idea!

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... I refer mlearnedfriend to #27 supra -
          Quite - and I'm aware of those - but it might be argued that Schumann's work nevertheless put that medium on the musical map in the way that no composer before him had done.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Not if Mozart did the arrangement before the Schumann Quintet. He may have heard the Mozart and thought that's a good idea!
            My point was that Mozart's work on these were arrangements of his concertos whereas Schumann's Piano Quintet was written as a piano quintet.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Quite - and I'm aware of those - but it might be argued that Schumann's work nevertheless put that medium on the musical map in the way that no composer before him had done.
              Well, yes - but Boccherini was using a different "map" from the Romantics' idea of "The Canon".
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

My point was that Mozart's work on these were arrangements of his concertos whereas Schumann's Piano Quintet was written as a piano quintet.
                There were many pian quitntets around with different instrumentation eg Mozart K452 and Beethoven Op16 - it hardly took a genius to put a piano and a string quartet together!

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Well, yes - but Boccherini was using a different "map" from the Romantics' idea of "The Canon".
                  Fair comment.

Comment

• Oldcrofter
                    • Dec 2010

Here in the Cotswolds, we'll be able to hear the Schubert Ensemble performing Judith Wear's new piano quintet three days after its Wigmore Hall premiere.

Plus The Trout - looking forward to it - plus, of course, all the other concerts in the series, including our local mezzo, Dame Sarah Connolly with the first performance of a Song Cycle by Sally Beamish set to poetry by local poet Laurie Lee. (Song cycle commissioned by Painswick Music Soc.)

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Surely you also have at least one of the Richter/Borodins recordings?

Sadly not. My collection needs to be enhanced by on of these. Which ones do you recommend?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

I spent most of last autumn revelling in Romantic Chamber Music, and never found a better Schumann Quintet than this one -

If you buy the CD, beware Used Conditions, as the lovely matt yellow corrugated card case may suffer rough handling less well & mark easily....

This was on the same high level (if a touch less impassioned/imaginative than the Gaia Scienza), and does include the Piano Quartet too...

Both of these are period-instrument recordings of course, and benefit hugely from their agility, and colourful, mellow sonorities...
                        (and both available to stream via Qobuz).
                        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 15-01-18, 03:01.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

Thank you, Jayne, I didn't know about these two discs.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Also interested in that La Gaia Scienza Schumann Quintet disc, Jayne ... and the op 56 coupling. I only know the two-hand version of that work. I have loved the quintet for many years and apropos of Schumann on four hands I recently acquired a recording of Clara's piano duet version of the Quintet on a fine disc from OEMS. A fascinating way of hearing the work anew.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              Thank you, Jayne, I didn't know about these two discs.
                              I might find a conventional recording!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                                I spent most of last autumn revelling in Romantic Chamber Music, and never found a better Schumann Quintet than this one -
                                Great recommendation, Jayne. Cheap (but new) copy arrived earlier. The Piano Quintet is indeed impassioned - and even more exhilarating than Martha Argerich. A joy!

Comment

Working...
                                X