• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    What a strange way to think... where does he say this? does he offer any justification for it?
    Osborne quotes it in his liner notes to the Klemperer Wagner/Strauss box. Significantly, Klemperer only recorded one complete Wagner opera and that was Hollander. I'm not sure if he ever conducted a complete Ring - if he did, it would have been in his Kroll opera days. Some shocking omissions in his Wagner repertoire.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Klemperer is not everyone's cuppa. I've stopped trying to work out Bruckner's editions. I like Klemperer's interpretations of most of his repertoire, I like his Bruckner. What's the quarrel?

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
        Osborne quotes it in his liner notes to the Klemperer Wagner/Strauss box. Significantly, Klemperer only recorded one complete Wagner opera and that was Hollander. I'm not sure if he ever conducted a complete Ring - if he did, it would have been in his Kroll opera days. Some shocking omissions in his Wagner repertoire.
        I'm not sure where it would get you but he never, to my knowledge, ever recorded any Elgar, Vaughan Williams, Sibelius, Nielsen, Debussy, Ravel, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Copland or Villa-Lobos. They were indeed omissions!

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Having been brought up on a Karajan's Beethoven Symphonies, Klemperer was a revelation to me when, one summer's evening, a friend played me the 5th and 6th. My goodness, 'THERE ARE WIND AND BRASS PARTS!' I exclaimed. So his Beethoven means a lot to me and this appreciation was developed even more when the BBC broadcast some archive tv programmes from the 60's of the Symphonies. So, although I still love Herbie's LvB, (especially since it's been re-mastered), Klemperer is still supreme in this music.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Klemperer is not everyone's cuppa. ​I've stopped trying to work out Bruckner's editions. I like Klemperer's interpretations of most of his repertoire, I like his Bruckner. What's the quarrel?
            Shame on you! Abdication of listener responsibility!
            Or, You're missing all the fun!

What about - VW2, Sibelius 5, Prokofiev 4, Rachmaninov Concerto No.4... are those on your editional radar...?
            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 07-06-17, 21:55.

Comment

• Conchis
              Banned
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              I'm not sure where it would get you but he never, to my knowledge, ever recorded any Elgar, Vaughan Williams, Sibelius, Nielsen, Debussy, Ravel, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Copland or Villa-Lobos. They were indeed omissions!
              Not many Austro-German conductors of K's generation seemed to appreciate those composers. Von Karajan, with his enthusiasm for Sibelius in particular, was a notable exception.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                Shame on you! Abdication of listener responsibility!
                Or, You're missing all the fun!

What about - VW2, Sibelius 5, Prokofiev 4, Rachmaninov Concerto No.4... are those on your editional radar...?
                I guess very interesting, jayne, but not on my long list of listening and other musical priorities. I'll settle for you keeping us informed on Bruckner goodies, and what seems to be taking over as your interest at the moment, old recordings of bygone conductors!

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  The 1957 live Cologne Radio 8th is, according to Richard Osborne in Gramophone (Medici issue, 7/2008) Nowak - without cuts. And well worth hearing.
                  Cheapskate hat on, I have made do with a used copy of the Frequenz triple CD box (£3.21 including p&p) of 4 (5.4.1954), 7 (3.9.1958) and 8 (7.6.1957). Klemperer very fine indeed in this performance of the 8th, to my ears.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Cheapskate hat on, I have made do with a used copy of the Frequenz triple CD box (£3.21 including p&p) of 4 (5.4.1954), 7 (3.9.1958) and 8 (7.6.1957). Klemperer very fine indeed in this performance of the 8th, to my ears.
                    That's good to hear, as that's the set I ordered earlier in the week (£2.98 incl P&P - but it hasn't arrived yet). I have a number of Frequenz issues, and they all sound at least perfectly acceptable.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                      • Nov 2010

Just what's needed, another thread about Bruckner editions!
                      Let's just thank our lucky stars that there aren't multiple editions of the Mahler symphonies!

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                        Let's just thank our lucky stars that there aren't multiple editions of the Mahler symphonies!
                        Oh but there are, at least in the case of the elaboration of the sketches for the 10th.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

Oh but there are, at least in the case of the elaboration of the sketches for the 10th.
                          And the order of movements in the Sixth, and the inclusion or not of the "Blumine" movement in the First or "Waldmärchen" in Das klagende Lied...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

And the order of movements in the Sixth, and the inclusion or not of the "Blumine" movement in the First or "Waldmärchen" in Das klagende Lied...
                            And I'd love to hear the version of the Fifth Symphony with the original percussion parts restored.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              And I'd love to hear the version of the Fifth Symphony with the original percussion parts restored.

... altogether now, how many hammer blows in the Sixth?

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                                • Nov 2010

Naaah, leaving that unfinished (as well as the other tinkerings) was a desperate attempt by GM to get into the AB league.

Comment

Working...
                                X