X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 (András Schiff), streamable in full, with the 1st, on QOBUZ from today. Brahms with all the lightness of spirit and dance it was composed with, not the heavy stodge that all too often has weighed it down. Schoenberg was right, Brahms was, indeed, "a great progressive".

Comment

• silvestrione
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      Max Davies Symphonies....:

1-3 Epic Phenomena
      4-5 Dichten = Condensare
      6-7 Diversify, Conclude, Return
      8-10 The Undiscovered Country
      Gosh, are there really that many?

I have on my 'playlist' 'The Mirror of Whitening Light', 'Ave Maris Stella', the clarinet concerto, perhaps the cello concerto occasionally. The 1st Symphony (and the Fantasia on a In Nomine of John Taverner') were hard going. I liked the St Magnus pieces too, and The Lighthouse. Then lost touch rather.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
        Gosh, are there really that many?

I have on my 'playlist' 'The Mirror of Whitening Light', 'Ave Maris Stella', the clarinet concerto, perhaps the cello concerto occasionally. The 1st Symphony (and the Fantasia on a In Nomine of John Taverner') were hard going. I liked the St Magnus pieces too, and The Lighthouse. Then lost touch rather.
        You could say there were actually 12 Symphonies: the Second Taverner Fantasia and Worldes Blis are among his greatest symphonic creations, for large orchestra on an epic scale, and long overdue a resurrection...
        ​Worldes Blis ​is just devastating, one of the great unknown masterpieces of the 20thC. You won't forget the ending of that in a hurry.

But many at the legendary near-riot of the Proms Premiere left during the piece, most of those remaining booed....
        Thank God for the one recording...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

You could say there were actually 12 Symphonies: the Second Taverner Fantasia and Worldes Blis are among his greatest symphonic creations, for large orchestra on an epic scale, and long overdue a resurrection...
          ​Worldes Blis ​is just devastating, one of the great unknown masterpieces of the 20thC. You won't forget the ending of that in a hurry.

But many at the legendary near-riot of the Proms Premiere left during the piece, most of those remaining booed....
          Large numbers - I stayed the course (at home, listening on the radio), and, yes...

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            I stayed the course
            I struggled to stay the course, I admit, in the listening room at uni, armed with the score. It's quite slow...

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Fond memories of attending early performances, possibly premieres, of Missa Super L'Homme Armé, Revelation and Fall and Eight Songs for a Mad King, at the QEH, back in the day.

Comment

• Jonathan
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 (András Schiff), streamable in full, with the 1st, on QOBUZ from today. Brahms with all the lightness of spirit and dance it was composed with, not the heavy stodge that all too often has weighed it down. Schoenberg was right, Brahms was, indeed, "a great progressive".
                I'm going to have to give this one a listen, I think!
                Best regards,
                Jonathan

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                  I'm going to have to give this one a listen, I think!
                  Do look at Schiff's notes on this release if you can - beautifully written and very insightful, with the historical detail on the Brahms Pianos & Orchestras, and the performance practices since......

I'm trying to hold off my audition until the discs get here later today...!

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Do look at Schiff's notes on this release if you can - beautifully written and very insightful, with the historical detail on the Brahms Pianos & Orchestras, and the performance practices since......

I'm trying to hold off my audition until the discs get here later today...!
                    Not easy to access the booklet notes without buying the CDs, though there are quotes from them in the 4 star Clementine Guardian review.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Not easy to access the booklet notes without buying the CDs, though there are quotes from them in the 4 star Clementine Guardian review.
                      As ever easy on Audirvana/Qobuz.....less directly at Qobuz (Qobuz Player) itself....but probably there if you have the sub.

....Just now, signing into my account (2016 Mac Air, El Capitan) with the Qobuz webplayer on the site itself, did bring up the booklet...albeit needing magnification...

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

As ever easy on Audirvana/Qobuz.....less directly at Qobuz (Qobuz Player) itself....but probably there if you have the sub.

....Just now, signing into my account (2016 Mac Air, El Capitan) with the Qobuz webplayer on the site itself, did bring up the booklet...albeit needing magnification...
                        I will check again once Songs for the Bardo has finished streaming. There was certainly no booklet icon when I used my sub to stream in HD from the QOBUZ app., earlier today.#

Aha! It's there now. Perhaps there was a short-term lack when they triggered availability of the whole of the concertos this morning. Duly downloaded now.
                        Last edited by Bryn; 04-06-21, 15:14. Reason: Update.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

Brahms. The Symphonies.

The Wiener Symphoniker conducted by Wolfgang Sawallisch. Philips DUO cds. Recorded early 1960s. (50p charity shop find!)

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Haydn - string quartet in D major op. 64 no. 5 'Lark' - Festetics

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

A happy birthday to Martha Argerich! 80, today! So I’m carrying on with my theme this morning of recordings celebrating the artistry of Martha Argerich.

The Lugano Recordings
                              CD 11
                              Schumann

Adagio & Allegro, Op.70
                              (Gautier Capuçon, cello, Martha Argerich, piano)
                              8 Canonic Studies, Op.56 (arr for 2 pianos by Debussy)
                              (Martha Argerich, Lilya Zilberstein, pianists)
                              Liszt
                              Concerto Pathétique, S588(after S176)
                              (Martha Argerich, Lilya Zilberstein)
                              Brahms
                              Variations on a theme by Haydn, Op.56b
                              (Martha Argerich, Polina Leschenko, pianists)
                              CD12
                              Brahms
                              Sonata for two pianos, Op.34b
                              (Martha Argerich, Lilya Zilberstein, pianists)
                              Variations on a theme by Haydn, Op.5b
                              (Martha Argerich, Nicholas Angelich, pianists))
                              CD 13
                              Tchaikovsky

The Nutcracker - Suite, Op.71a
                              (Martha Argerich, Mirabella, pianists )
                              Smetana
                              Sonata for two pianos, 8 hands in E minor
                              Sonata for two pianos 8 hands in C major
                              Zarebski
                              Piano Quintet in G minor, Op.34
                              (Dora Schwarberg, violin, Lucia Hall, violin,
                              Lyda Chen, viola, Gautier Capuçon, cello,
                              Martha Argerich, piano)
                              Last edited by BBMmk2; 05-06-21, 11:49.
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Faure Requiem - Popp/Estes/LeipzigRCh/DresdenSO/C Davis

Comment

Working...
                                X