• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

J.S Bach. Partitas 4 & 6

Mr. Freddy Kempf, piano. (BIS)

Alas, Gramophone were not altogether impressed with this cd but I’m quite enjoying it.

Comment

• Edgy 2
      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Mozart: String Quartet in E flat major K428
      Amadeus Quartet

One of my most treasured boxes the Mozart/Amadeus Qt set though it's considered old hat in many quarters I gather
      “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Currently

Martinu:
        Jazz Suite, Ryan Bancroft, BBC NOW

A somewhat cut down Prom from Cardiff - 2020 - a concert done under Covid-19 constraints.

Started off "ok-ish", but gradually came to life.

John Adams: Chamber Symphony

to be followed later by

Aaron Copland: Appalachian Spring

I found this while testing - yet again - our Amazon Fire Stick - seemingly required because the live stream we want to watch later on is one which manages to avoid being part of the Roku eco environment.

Having to plug in different hardware just for an occasional stream is a bit of a pain - but I suppose "it's business"!

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Haydn - string quartet in F minor op. 55 no. 2

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Martha Argerich approaching 80

[posted by BBMmk2]

I’m celebrating the artistry of, probably my, who has become my favourite pianist, Martha Argerich, who, quite surprisingly will be 80, next Saturday June 5th.

Martha Argerich & Friends Live from the Lugano Festival 2007
            CD1
            Beethoven
            Piano Trio in D major, Op.71 “Ghost”
            Mozart arr Feruccio Busoni
            (Martha Argerich, piano, Renaud Capuçon, violin, Misch Maisky, cello)
            Fantasy in F minor, K608
            ((Martha Argerich, Lilya Zilberstein, pianists)
            Schumann
            Andante & Variations for two Puanos, Op.46
            (Martha Argerich, Gabriela Montero, pianists)
            CD2
            Beethoven
            Piano Quartet in D major, WoO.36
            (Karin Lechner, Alisa Margulis
            Lyda Chen, Mark Drobinsky)
            Ravel
            Ma Mere l’Oye
            (Martha Argerich, Alexander Mogilevsky)

Glinka
            Grand Sextet for piano, two violins, cello & double Bass
            (Alexander Mogilevsky, Lucia Hall, Alissa Margulis,
            Nora Romanoff-Schwarzberg, Mark Drobinsky,
            Enrico Fagone)
            Messiaen
            Theme & Variations for violin & piano
            (Alissa Margulis, Francesco Plemontesi)
            Ravel
            Daphnis et Chloe - Suite No.2
            CD 3
            Bartok
            Violin Sonata Sz75
            (Martha Argerich, Renaud Capuçon)
            Dohnányi
            Piano Quintet in C minor, Op.1
            (Nicholas Angelich, Dora Schwarzberg,
            Lucia Hall
            Nora Romanoff-Schwarzberg
            Jorge Basso)
            Lutoslawski
            Variations on a Theme of Paganini
            (Martha Argerich, Maurico Vallina).

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Mahler: Symphony 10

Minnesota/ Osmo Vanska

Not particularly a Vanska fan, I’d say this is easily the best of his Mahler series.

A riveting beginning, slower than usual and entirely to my taste, and things stay at that level. A particularly good second movement, playful and charming, with any number of nuances brought out.

Really fine orchestral playing.
              Last edited by Alison; 30-05-21, 13:18.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                I'm so touched by all your good wishes, thank you. Richard, I know that hotel in Arles well!
                In fact it's not a bone marrow transplant just blood cells, quite revolutionary.
                A few weeks in a sterile room then three months of isolation at home, with a strict diet of well cooked food, to avoid bacteria attacking my low immunity system.
                I hope to be very much connected to the message boards whilst inside, so will let you know how it's going.
                It's so nice to have your support, thanks again.
                Not to be pedantic, but the cells you are to be infused with are ultimately designed to replace the ones that currently reside in your bone marrow, so technically still a transplant. My nephew has a rare disorder and has spent the last 2 months in a children’s hospital in Pittsburgh (he is in his 30s) because it is the only center that addresses his problem with the treatment. He is out of the hospital but has had to rent an apartment to stay local for post hospital care

In your honor I listened to Paul Paray and the Detroit SO in Bizet L’Arlesiane Suite yesterday. The disc is couple with Suites from Carmen and I noted that this arrangement of Carmen music is unlike any other arrangement, and Paray made his own sequence. Perhaps someone more familiar with the Opera than me can elucidate the differences

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Symphonies 4 and 5 from these SACDs.....

Almost "without interpretation", the music communicates through dynamics, pace, stress, colour and sonority. (But maybe that is interpretation after all).
                  Which doesn't stop it being wonderful, and wonderfully well recorded (truly we are blessed, etc); and including the 5th's trio repeat (dealbreaker here...). Similar to Haselbock, but tighter, more virtuoso delivery. A more hedonistically sensuous layered instrumental transparency, which one marvels at. Terrific weight in climaxes, timpani thrillingly clear and hard. That sense of battle-worn history, the powder kegs....
                  So much Beethoven came out in 2020, it was hard to keep up.... turns out this set was one of the best of all; stunning 4 and 5...hope to try 3 with my adored Roth still vividly in mind....

Mes favoris
                  Cet élément a bien été ajouté / retiré de vos favoris.Beethoven: Révolution, Symphonies 1 à 5

Jordi Savall & Le Concert des Nations

​Listening to 5 again now, with a scolding chorus of ticking Robins outside.... Cats too close to the nest....better get out there...

Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 30-05-21, 21:00.

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                    Not to be pedantic, but the cells you are to be infused with are ultimately designed to replace the ones that currently reside in your bone marrow, so technically still a transplant. My nephew has a rare disorder and has spent the last 2 months in a children’s hospital in Pittsburgh (he is in his 30s) because it is the only center that addresses his problem with the treatment. He is out of the hospital but has had to rent an apartment to stay local for post hospital care

In your honor I listened to Paul Paray and the Detroit SO in Bizet L’Arlesiane Suite yesterday. The disc is couple with Suites from Carmen and I noted that this arrangement of Carmen music is unlike any other arrangement, and Paray made his own sequence. Perhaps someone more familiar with the Opera than me can elucidate the differences
                    Thanks, Richard - I stand corrected. To be honest, though it has been explained to me several times, my non-medical brain has difficulty understanding the complexities of the process - I am just very thankful that I have been given access to it!

I have a CD of Charles Dutoit doing the Carmen and l'Arlésienne suites, and very fine they sound. I also have an interesting disc of l'Arlésienne from the St Paul Chamber Orchestra with Christopher Hogwood, giving us the original version. Coupled with the Petite Symphonie and First Symphony by Gounod, it's worth seeking out.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

J.S. Bach. Gamba Sonatas. BWV.1027 to 1029

Daniel Müller-Schott, violoncello.

Angela Hewitt, piano. Orfeo label.

Another 25p charity shop find.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

Anyway: I'm about to spin Stravinsky's The Rake's Progress - LSO & Monteverdi Choir/JEG
                        Act 1 scene 2 now.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Mahler 4.
                          NYP/ Bernstein/ Grist.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

Brahms
                            Piano Concerto No.1 (Adagio)
                            Piano Concerto No.2 (Finale - Allegretto Grazioso)
                            OAE/Andras Schiff. ECM 24/96 Qobuz.

Two tasters from the Qobuz tantalus in advance of the 4/06 release, both strikingly, even startlingly free in their wide-ranging rubato and expressive micro dynamics.... Schiff (playing an 1859 Blüthner) evidently has his own very distinctive view of these works, seeming to find a mutual inspiration with the OAE...

Both artistic partners wonderfully light, lucid and tuneful.....this should be one of the Releases of the Year.....I'm counting off the days....

(Interesting note here....
                            https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...oncertos#about)
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 31-05-21, 03:11.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              Brahms
                              Piano Concerto No.1 (Adagio)
                              Piano Concerto No.2 (Finale - Allegretto Grazioso)
                              OAE/Andras Schiff. ECM 24/96 Qobuz.

Two tasters from the Qobuz tantalus in advance of the 4/06 release, both strikingly, even startlingly free in their wide-ranging rubato and expressive micro dynamics.... Schiff (playing an 1859 Blüthner) evidently has his own very distinctive view of these works, seeming to find a mutual inspiration with the OAE...

Both artistic partners wonderfully light, lucid and tuneful.....this should be one of the Releases of the Year.....I'm counting off the days....

(Interesting note here....
                              https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...oncertos#about)
                              I will wait, with bated breath, until Friday, having greatly enjoyed the RFH performances by these musicians.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Mahler: Das Klagende Lied (hybrid of original Waldmärchen and revised Der Spielmann and Hochzeitsstück) - Soloists, ORF Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra, Michael Gielen. Recorded live in June 1990.

Comment

Working...
                                X