Beethoven - Overtures - BPO/Cluytens

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
      Beethoven - Overtures - BPO/Cluytens
      This collection must be pretty good?

Carrying on with my theme of recordings featuring the music of Delius and his contemporaries and near contemporaries.

Delius Edition
      Brigg Fair
      In a Summer Garden
      The Walk to the Paradise Garden
      North Country Sketches
      Appalachia
      The Song of the High Hills
      Sea Drift
      Florida
      Thomas Hampson (baritone)
      Orchestra & Chorus of BBC NOW
      Sir Charles Mackerras.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
        This collection must be pretty good?
        It is good, inasmuch as I'm listening to unfamiliar Beethoven pieces - it's not like I have much to compare these particular recordings. Coriolan overture is very nice.

The New Stravinsky Complete Edition on DG just arrived (purchased via Europadisc) so I think I'll dip into it...

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

It is good, inasmuch as I'm listening to unfamiliar Beethoven pieces - it's not like I have much to compare these particular recordings. Coriolan overture is very nic . . . The New Stravinsky Complete Edition on DG
          ?

Have they updated it to include the Funeral Song?

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            ?
            What's wrong?

I decided on disk 2 - Petrushka and The Rite - The Cleveland Orchestra under Boulez. Does anyone else have this box? About a quarter of the space inside it is taken up by plastic padding, which I don't understand - why not just make the box smaller?

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Mahler 3, Levine/CSO

This was the recording that captivated me. I hadn’t listened to it for a bit, and there was the whole distaste associated with a Levine recording, but I still think it’s my favorite. The way that Levine brings out the interplay of the soloists in II, for example is magical. I was listening to the Concertgebou Blu Ray with Jansons last week and there isn’t any comparison.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                Mahler 3, Levine/CSO

This was the recording that captivated me. I hadn’t listened to it for a bit, and there was the whole distaste associated with a Levine recording, but I still think it’s my favorite. The way that Levine brings out the interplay of the soloists in II, for example is magical. I was listening to the Concertgebou Blu Ray with Jansons last week and there isn’t any comparison.
                Have you tried the Gielen?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

What's wrong?

I decided on disk 2 - Petrushka and The Rite - The Cleveland Orchestra under Boulez. Does anyone else have this box? About a quarter of the space inside it is taken up by plastic padding, which I don't understand - why not just make the box smaller?
                  Coincidentally, that's CD2 in the 6CD DG Boulez Stravinsky box I've got; it's much smaller, I'm sure, with no plastic padding.

Too much duplication for me in that otherwise attractive looking new big box.
                  Lots to enjoy there, Joseph!

I too wondered what the big question mark was for, but Bryn has now edited his post!
                  According to this listing on the Presto site, it does indeed include the Chant funèbre:

PS: I might be wrong in thinking the two 'CD2s' are the same: that Presto listing suggests that Boulez conducts 'Petrushka Suite', with 'Petrushka' allocated to Bernstein and the Israel Phil. Can that be right?
                  Last edited by Pulcinella; 17-04-21, 13:35. Reason: PS added.

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Have they updated it to include the Funeral Song?
                    Yes. Also a couple of his arrangements - Bach & Star-Spangled Banner.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      Too much duplication for me in that otherwise attractive looking new big box.
                      Lots to enjoy there, Joseph!
                      Indeed. Already very much enjoying this Petrushka...

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Indeed. Already very much enjoying this Petrushka...
                        The Boulez Petrushka in the 6CD set I have is the 1911 version; maybe the Bernstein in the big box you have is the 1947 version, and the Presto listing for the Boulez being the suite is wrong?

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          The Boulez Petrushka in the 6CD set I have is the 1911 version; maybe the Bernstein in the big box you have is the 1947 version, and the Presto listing for the Boulez being the suite is wrong?
                          It contains both versions/conductors.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Yes. Also a couple of his arrangements - Bach & Star-Spangled Banner.
                            Thanks. The DG listing for the complete edition on their site does not include the Funeral Song, they still have the 2015 listing, though the same site does announce the release of an EP CD of a new Yannick Nézet-Séguin recording of the work. Fortunately, the Chailly (Decca) recording is available on QOBUZ, etc. Likewise the arrangement of BWV 769. I will maybe compile a CD-R to update the edition I have. Presumably The Star-Spangled Banner is licenced from Sony, so no need to download that.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Thanks. The DG listing for the complete edition on their site does not include the Funeral Song, they still have the 2015 listing, though the same site does announce the release of an EP CD of a new Yannick Nézet-Séguin recording of the work. Fortunately, the Chailly (Decca) recording is available on QOBUZ, etc. Likewise the arrangement of BWV 769. I will maybe compile a CD-R to update the edition I have. Presumably The Star-Spangled Banner is licenced from Sony, so no need to download that.
                              I guess that you mean the version with chorus on CD53 of the Stravinsky Complete Columbia Album Collection (Festival Singers of Toronto/CBC SO/Elmer Iseler).
                              There's also an orchestral version (it starts with a long drumroll!) that the LSO recorded under MTT for RCA (so also now presumably Sony?) that they might have gone for, I suppose.

I'm sure that we've mentioned the CD (or at least the cover artwork!) before.
                              Very much recommended if you don't have it already.

PS: I found this on the Presto site: a recording (presumably of Stravinsky's arrangement) already issued by DG.
                              Smith, J S: The Star-Spangled Banner
                              Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra
                              Igor Stravinsky
                              It's included in this set:
                              Last edited by Pulcinella; 17-04-21, 17:09. Reason: PS added!

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Stravinsky - Symphony of Psalms - LSO & The Monteverdi Choir under JEG

Comment

Working...
                                X