• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
    The first 3 cds worth (Dvorak) of this set which I downloaded a few months ago for 8 quid (and really should have posted on the bargains thread at the time, so I'll do so now it's even cheaper )

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...metana-nielsen
    Good that they sensibly split the FLACs into two zip files to make them compatible with FAT 32. With eClassical you sometimes need to download to something like NTFS or exFAT.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
      • Nov 2011

Beethoven: Violin Sonatas Nos. 5 -7

Frank Peter Zimmermann (violin), Martin Helmchen (piano)
      Volume 2 of the duo's complete set. Fully lives up to the promise of the first release.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I won’t be playing my regular music today, or tomorrow.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

As Petrushka suggested on another thread, I'll be having my own Stravinsky Day, starting with the new recording of The rite of spring that Bryn mentions in his post #14021.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            As Petrushka suggested on another thread, I'll be having my own Stravinsky Day, starting with the new recording of The rite of spring that Bryn mentions in his post #14021.
            Still having all sorts of problems importing and playing that back via QOBUZ. I think I might try again in a week or so and lodge a moan with them in the interim.

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Still having all sorts of problems importing and playing that back via QOBUZ. I think I might try again in a week or so and lodge a moan with them in the interim.
              No problems with it on my Deezer/Sonos system just now.

The Colin Davis version of Cantata is playing just now, with Mass to follow.
              I've decided to go for versions other than those in the big Sony Stravinsky box today.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

No problems with it on my Deezer/Sonos system just now.

The Colin Davis version of Cantata is playing just now, with Mass to follow.
                I've decided to go for versions other than those in the big Sony Stravinsky box today.
                Regarding big Stravinsky boxes (no, not the bargain-basement mp3 one), the DG one has a good few interesting recordings licenced from other labels, including Naxos.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Regarding big Stravinsky boxes (no, not the bargain-basement mp3 one), the DG one has a good few interesting recordings licenced from other labels, including Naxos.
                  These big boxes come with the usual baggage of duplications, ‘why did they chose that’ ones and niggling annoying ones that aren’t easily available elsewhere. Anyone, and the forum has many of us, who likes Stravinsky, and is a lifetime recorded music collector (accumulator, addict), choose whichever fits!, will probably have a tranche of any box.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    These big boxes come with the usual baggage of duplications, ‘why did they chose that’ ones and niggling annoying ones that aren’t easily available elsewhere. Anyone, and the forum has many of us, who likes Stravinsky, and is a lifetime recorded music collector (accumulator, addict), choose whichever fits!, will probably have a tranche of any box.
                    I have way too many duplications of Stravinsky recordings to even consider listing. Not only most of the CBS LPs but early separate CD issues, then the first manifestation of the 'complete' set, and more recently the revamped and extended Sony complete edition. Then there are the many duplications in the DG box . . .

One set I would still like to find at a sensible price is the first Andante book-style historical set. I have the second and third but the first is very hard to find.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I have a few of the recordings of Smetana’s Ma Vlast. This is a favourite.

Bedrich Smetana
                      Ma Vlast.
                      Boston Symphony Orchestra
                      Rafael Kubelik.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                        I have a few of the recordings of Smetana’s Ma Vlast. This is a favourite.

Bedrich Smetana
                        Ma Vlast.
                        Boston Symphony Orchestra
                        Rafael Kubelik.
                        I have a very old (1965) recording of this with the RPO under Sargent.
                        I wonder if you know it, and if it would make the grade in a BaL (other than in the historic category, perhaps!).
                        I think it was quite well thought of in its day.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

I hadn't heard of that one before (it isn't on Qobuz as far as I can see, but of course their search function is a bit aleatoric) and, looking at the track listing, I see quite a few of my favoured recordings on it.

On topic: yesterday I listened to Jessye Norman and the LSO conducted by Boulez in Berg's orchestral songs (and some "even earlier songs" with piano which are charming enough but not at all on the level of the others). In fact I listened to it twice in quick succession; the combination of elegantly expressive vocal contours with beautifully complex orchestration is very much to my taste.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

I wonder if you know it, and if it would make the grade in a BaL (other than in the historic category, perhaps!).
                            Yes, good - it was on two HMV Concert Classics LPs coupled with the Dvorak Symphonic Variations. Your CD is, I imagine on the EMI Laser label - there were some very good recordings on there - Warner could do well to introduce a similar budget price series to release some of the manh 50s and 60s recordings that have not yet made it to CD or are long deleted. An EMI complement to Eloquence!

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

I have a 1989 CD reissue of that Sargent recording that I picked up in a charity shop some years ago. It's very good but, as you say, not sure if it would make the grade today. I tend to go for the Czech PO in this under one or another of their conductors. The Boston SO/Kubelik is excellent.

PS: cross-posted with Cloughie. Yes, it's the EMI Laser issue!
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                Yes, good - it was on two HMV Concert Classics LPs coupled with the Dvorak Symphonic Variations. Your CD is, I imagine on the EMI Laser label - there were some very good recordings on there - Warner could do well to introduce a similar budget price series to release some of the manh 50s and 60s recordings that have not yet made it to CD or are long deleted. An EMI complement to Eloquence!
                                It certainly is:

Released to celebrate Sargent's (delightfully misspelt here!) 70th birthday, it says.

Comment

Working...
                                X