X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Carrying on with my theme of recordings connected to Holy Week and Easter.

Antonio Caldara
    Maddalena ai peido di Cristobal.
    Maria Christina Kiehr Rosa Dominguez (sopranos)
    Bernarda Fink (contralto)
    Andreas Scholl (counter-tenor)
    Gerd Türk (tenor)
    Ulrich Messthaler (bass)
    Schola Cantorum Basilensis
    René Jacobs.

James MacMillan
    Stabat Mater
    The Sixteen
    Britten Sinfonia
    Harry Christophers.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Wagner:Parsifal Good Friday Music METSO Levine

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Wagner:Parsifal Good Friday Music METSO Levine
        Was that as a nod towards Whitehouse versus Lemon?

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Was that as a nod towards Whitehouse versus Lemon?
          Well if I said it was the first recording of GFM that came to hand after recent heated discussions on these boards, you’d probably accuse me of being economical with the truth.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Gesualdo: Tenebrae Responsories for Good Friday (1611)

BBC Singers
            Bo Holten

BBC Music Mag CD
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
              Carrying on with my theme of recordings connected to Holy Week and Easter.

Antonio Caldara
              Maddalena ai peido di Cristobal.
              Maria Christina Kiehr Rosa Dominguez (sopranos)
              Bernarda Fink (contralto)
              Andreas Scholl (counter-tenor)
              Gerd Türk (tenor)
              Ulrich Messthaler (bass)
              Schola Cantorum Basilensis
              René Jacobs.

James MacMillan
              Stabat Mater
              The Sixteen
              Britten Sinfonia
              Harry Christophers.
              Vaughan Williams Williams
              Dona Nobis Pacem
              Five Mystical Songs
              Edith Wiens (soprano)
              Bryan Rayner Cook (baritone)
              LPO Choir
              London Philharmoonic Orchestra
              Bryden Thomson.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                Was that a deliberately gloomy choice of key for Good Friday, Joseph?
                No - just coincidence, I'm listening to them in order they appear in the set.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

Mahler: Symphony No 6 in A minor

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra/Kirill Petrenko (7 Digital 24/96 download)

Not a symphony I want to hear very often - not because I don't think that it's anything other than a great work but because listening it always leaves me feeling emotionally wrung-out - and certainly not music for a sunny afternoon. Having shelled out my £4.76 (and many thanks to Mathias B for the reminder about 7 Digital continuing their practice of offering many Berlin Philharmonic own-label recordings as very cheap downloads), I thought that I would just listen to the start but was immediately hooked. For one thing, I'm not sure that I've ever heard Mahler better played by an orchestra - and by an orchestra which seems more deeply committed player by player than in the recent Rattle version. Andante/Scherzo in the concerts as is the modern way but easy with the FLAC files to create A/S and S/A to suit one's mood. There is a sense in which Petrenko is still finding his way with the music, not in him still finding his feet with it but more him exploring where Mahler might have gone but not yet coming up with a definitive answer. It's exciting but not different for the sake of it, disturbing (as it should be) and, especially in the final movement, made me listen afresh to a work I thought I had known for the past 50 years but came to realise that I was deluding myself - I suspect that I never will know just what depths this music can reach.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                    Mahler: Symphony No 6 in A minor

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra/Kirill Petrenko (7 Digital 24/96 download)

Not a symphony I want to hear very often - not because I don't think that it's anything other than a great work but because listening it always leaves me feeling emotionally wrung-out - and certainly not music for a sunny afternoon. Having shelled out my £4.76 (and many thanks to Mathias B for the reminder about 7 Digital continuing their practice of offering many Berlin Philharmonic own-label recordings as very cheap downloads), I thought that I would just listen to the start but was immediately hooked. For one thing, I'm not sure that I've ever heard Mahler better played by an orchestra - and by an orchestra which seems more deeply committed player by player than in the recent Rattle version. Andante/Scherzo in the concerts as is the modern way but easy with the FLAC files to create A/S and S/A to suit one's mood. There is a sense in which Petrenko is still finding his way with the music, not in him still finding his feet with it but more him exploring where Mahler might have gone but not yet coming up with a definitive answer. It's exciting but not different for the sake of it, disturbing (as it should be) and, especially in the final movement, made me listen afresh to a work I thought I had known for the past 50 years but came to realise that I was deluding myself - I suspect that I never will know just what depths this music can reach.
                    Thanks HD, I now have that lined up for listening when I have the time!

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                      • Nov 2010

Score following - Days 302-304

E Rubbra:
                      Symphony no 5 in B flat op63
                      Symphony No 6 op80
                      Symphony No 8 op132 'Hommage a Teilhard de Chardin'
                      Symphony No 11 op153

C Saint-Saens:
                      Le Carnaval des animaux
                      Danse Macabre op40
                      Havanaise for Violin & Orchestra op83
                      Cello Concerto No 1 in A minor op33
                      Symphony No 3 in C minor 'Organ' op78
                      Samson et Dalila op47 (vocal score)

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Haydn - string quartet in E flat - op. 17 no. 3

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

Nielsen Symphony No.2 "The Four Temperaments"; No.3 "Sinfonia Espansiva."
                          Frankfurt RSO/P-Järvi. RCACD.

More from this wonderful cycle; direct, unshowy and plain-spoken, always with the longer term symphonic view in mind, but never missing a detail or underselling dynamics or expression. I feel its what this music needs, and it has the classic German Radio Orchestra sound. Perfect music for a bright cool Spring Day.
                          Fascinating to come back to Nielsen from Simpson. So closely linked, both so profoundly original, so hyper-integrated in their symphonism. One of those mini-traditions, with maybe only Holmboe and (off at a tangent somewhere) Per Nørgård (if only from 5-8) in the same game.

Kancheli à la Duduki. Trauerfarbenes Land. Radio SO Wien/Dennis Russel Davies. ECMCD.

Stillness after movement; one of his best creations, concentrated and intense. And simply one of the finest orchestral recordings I've ever heard, in any medium or resolution.
                          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 03-04-21, 15:25.

Comment

• frankbridge
                            • Sep 2018

Gesualdo: Tenebrae Responsories for Holy Saturday (shome mishtake shurley Petrushka?)

Tallis Scholars/Phillips

Gimell CDGIM 015

and then tomorrow, Edmund Rubbra's wonderful work 'Sinfonia Sacra' (the Resurrection) (Dawson/Jones/Roberts conducted by Hickox) Chandos CHAN 9441 after Robert Saxton's 'Music to Celebrate the Resurrection of Christ (ENO/Steuart Bedford RIP) Collins Classics 11022

I love Easter...
                            Last edited by frankbridge; 03-04-21, 16:09.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by frankbridge View Post
                              Gesualdo: Tenebrae Responsories for Holy Saturday (shome mishtake shurley Petrushka?)

Tallis Scholars/Phillips

Gimell CDGIM 015

and then tomorrow, Edmund Rubbra's wonderful work 'Sinfonia Sacra' (the Resurrection) (Dawson/Jones/Roberts conducted by Hickox) Chandos CHAN 9441 after Robert Saxton's 'Music to Celebrate the Resurrection of Christ (ENO/Steuart Bedford RIP) Collins Classics 11022

I love Easter...
                              Great choices, and since I have both the Rubbra and the Saxton, I might follow suit!

Not sure why you're querying my fellow nom-de-ballet forumite, but the BBC MM CD certainly claims the pieces to be the Good Friday set, and the pieces tie in with the Wiki descriptions, as follows:

Responsories of Good Friday

Good Friday, Feria VI/Sexta in Parasceve, meaning Friday (sixth day of the week) of the Day of Preparation (from Greek Παρασκευή). Thus this second set of nine responsories can appear under such titles as Feria VI – In Parasceve.

Responsories of the first nocturn of Good Friday

Omnes amici mei
                              Velum templi scissum est
                              Vinea mea electa

Responsories of the second nocturn of Good Friday

Tamquam ad latronem existis
                              Tenebrae factae sent
                              Animam meam dilectam

Responsories of the third nocturn of Good Friday

Tradiderunt me
                              Jesum tradidit impious
                              Caligaverunt oculi mei

Comment

• Beresford
                                • Apr 2012

Debussy Blanc et Noir, for two pianos, from a recent CD called Textures by the Piano Duo Roelcke Gremmelspacher.

Free from Romantic mannerisms (unlike most pianists, although the Swiss Duo Huber are similar and more upfront), and good on the detail in this music, which was inspired (?) by the stupidity of the 1st world war.
                                Also on the CD is some quirky Ligeti, which I am trying to like, and Messiaen's Visions de l'Amen, rather low key compared to what I expected (but I am not aware of any rule saying that profound visions cannot be low key).
                                Last edited by Beresford; 04-04-21, 10:46. Reason: Typo - Thanks Bryn

Comment

Working...
                                X