• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    Dusted off (literally) this box and am listening to something from it for the first time ever! Third symphony BPO/Cluytens. Thanks for Bryn for mentioning it (some time around Xmas, I think). Hmmm... no repeat of the exposition??

Did I mention that I have a spare sealed copy of that boxed set which, along with the Mozart companion, I got for £5 each in an HMV sale some years ago? I will have to look at the sort of price being asked on the amazon.co.uk marketplace.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Alban Berg
      Violin Concerto ‘To the Memory of an Angel’
      Seven Early Songs (1905-08, 1928)
      Three Pieces for Orchestra, Op. 6 (1929 revision)
      Gil Shaham (violin)
      Susanna Phillips (soprano)
      San Francisco Symphony / Michael Tilson Thomas
      Recorded live 2015 & 2018 Davies Symphony Hall, San Francisco
      SFS Media SACD, new release

Brahms
      String Sextet No. 1 in B flat major, Op. 18
      String Sextet No. 2 in G major, Op. 36
      Gautier Capuçon (cello), Clemens Hagen (cello), Marie Chilemme (viola),
      Gerard Causse (viola), Christoph Koncz (violin), Renaud Capuçon (violin)
      Recorded live, 2016 Aix Easter Festival
      Erato

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Stan, that Brahms recording looks super!

Carrying on with my season this week of recordings featuring Giuseppe Sinopoli.

Schumann
        Overture, Scherzo & Finale, Op.52
        (Staatskapelle Dresden, Giuseppe Sinopoli)
        Richard Strauss
        Salome, Op.54 -Dance of the 7 Veils
        (Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin
        Giuseppe Sinopoli)
        Gustav Mahler
        Das Klagende Lied
        (Cheryl Studer (soprano)
        Waltraud Meier (mezzo-soprano)
        Reiner Goldberg (tenor)
        Shin Sekya, Sir Thomas Allen (baritones)
        Shinyukai Choir
        Philharmonia Orchestra
        Giuseppe Sinopoli)
        Symphony No.1 in D major
        (Philharmonia Orchestra
        Giuseppe Sinopoli)
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Ravel Orchestral Works - PCO Cluytens - if there’s a more Gallic sounding Pav Enf Def then I’d love to hear it.
          I'll have to have a listen and see what I think.
          I've realised that this is a piece that I should have confessed to having multiple recordings of on that thread: a quick count reveals 13 (and that's just the orchestral version).

Abbado, Ansermet, Boulez (Sony and DG), Cluytens, Dutoit, Haitink, Maazel, Martinon, Monteux, Rattle, and most recently the two in the big Warner box, de Freitas-Branco and Giulini!

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            I'll have to have a listen and see what I think.
            I've realised that this is a piece that I should have confessed to having multiple recordings of on that thread: a quick count reveals 13 (and that's just the orchestral version).

Abbado, Ansermet, Boulez (Sony and DG), Cluytens, Dutoit, Haitink, Maazel, Martinon, Monteux, Rattle, and most recently the two in the big Warner box, de Freitas-Branco and Giulini!
            I put together a Ravel Cluytens compilation - Pav, MenAntique, Tomb Coup, M Goose and Daphnis Suite 2, taken from the complete ballet in the Ravel box - good selection any time, any day.i

Comment

• silvestrione
              • Jan 2011

Mozart Piano Concerto no 24 in C minor, Annie Fischer, Efrem Kurtz, New Philharmonia. My first recording of the piece, on a Heliodor LP! Still my favourite... though I have Brendel live and studio, and Curzon live and studio, and will soon explore fortepiano versions, as it's coming up on BAL, and guidance will be on offer, I'm sure (on here, I mean!).

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                Mozart Piano Concerto no 24 in C minor, Annie Fischer, Efrem Kurtz, New Philharmonia. My first recording of the piece, on a Heliodor LP! Still my favourite... though I have Brendel live and studio, and Curzon live and studio, and will soon explore fortepiano versions, as it's coming up on BAL, and guidance will be on offer, I'm sure (on here, I mean!).
                I listened to the Mozart PC24 yesterday on a BBC MM CD compilation, with Clifford Curzon as soloist.
                I suspect that Alpie is struggling to compile a list for us, so maybe he should abandon any attempt and just direct us to the Presto site, as he did for the forthcoming Monteverdi Madrigals.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                  A pedant writes: not, alas, Heliodor. That may have been the Beethoven PC 3 with Ferenc Fricsay?? The Mozart PCs 24 & 27 was released on Columbia SAX5287 in 1966. Never reissued on a cheap label - e.g. HMV Concert Classics - on vinyl but then released on a CD in 1991 (very fine, too!). Should one still have the original LP, it fetches £100+ on the s/hand market.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                    A pedant writes: not, alas, Heliodor. That may have been the Beethoven PC 3 with Ferenc Fricsay?? The Mozart PCs 24 & 27 was released on Columbia SAX5287 in 1966. Never reissued on a cheap label - e.g. HMV Concert Classics - on vinyl but then released on a CD in 1991 (very fine, too!). Should one still have the original LP, it fetches £100+ on the s/hand market.
                    PC3 coupled with the Mozart Rondos K382 and 386. My K491 is the Mozart 91 bargain CD - the amount of Mozart to hit my shelves was nothing short of a helluva lot!

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Beethoven 2 - BPO/Cluytens

Comment

• silvestrione
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                        Ah, well , I've misremembered. I thought it was Beethoven 3 on one side, and Mozart 24 on the other, in fact I'd still swear it was...but yes obviously Heliodor is wrong label. I now have the excellent Warner Annie Fischer box.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

RVW Symphony #2.
                          Manze/ RLPO.

Very cool cover.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Embarked on playing Leonard Bernstein's Mahler cycle, mostly with the NYPO, on CBS/Sony using the original programme (where available/applicable) as the live performances at the time of the recordings by using the digital archives of the New York Philharmonic performance history: https://archives.nyphil.org/performancehistory/#program

Last night:

Beethoven: Overture - King Stephen
                            William Schuman: Symphony for Strings (Symphony No 5)

[interval]

Mahler: Symphony no 1
                            New York Philharmonic Orchestra
                            Leonard Bernstein

------------------------------------------

Tonight:

Mahler: Symphony No 2 (Resurrection)
                            Lee Venora (soprano), Jennie Tourel (mezzo-soprano)
                            The Collegiate Chorale
                            Leonard Bernstein
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Embarked on playing Leonard Bernstein's Mahler cycle, mostly with the NYPO, on CBS/Sony using the original programme (where available/applicable) as the live performances at the time of the recordings by using the digital archives of the New York Philharmonic performance history: https://archives.nyphil.org/performancehistory/#program

Last night:

Beethoven: Overture - King Stephen
                              William Schuman: Symphony for Strings (Symphony No 5)

[interval]

Mahler: Symphony no 1
                              Leonard Bernstein

------------------------------------------

Tonight:

Mahler: Symphony No 2 (Resurrection)
                              Lee Venora (soprano), Jennie Tourel (mezzo-soprano)
                              The Collegiate Chorale
                              Leonard Bernstein
                              What? No opener for the Resurrection - I always like your concert programming!

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                What? No opener for the Resurrection - I always like your concert programming!
                                No, because what I'm doing is duplicating Bernstein's own programmes - see above - and he didn't have an opener!

"The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X