X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Lovely recordings of Czech songs recorded in the 1940's - some during WW2 - sung by Jarmila Novotna, an RCA mono lp inherited 40 years from a friend and unplayed by me until today. Analogue discs somehow embody the era, performer and music in a way that digital doesn't. Time machines.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
      Lovely recordings of Czech songs recorded in the 1940's - some during WW2 - sung by Jarmila Novotna, an RCA mono lp inherited 40 years from a friend and unplayed by me until today. Analogue discs somehow embody the era, performer and music in a way that digital doesn't. Time machines.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Henze
        Symphonies No’s 7 & 8
        Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin/Marek Janowski
        Recorded 2006/07 Jesus Christ Church, Berlin
        Wergo

Schubert
        Piano Sonatas: D157, 557, 664, 784, 845, 958, 959, 960;
        2 Scherzos D593, 6 Moments musicaux D780
        Radu Lupu (piano)
        Recorded 1971/79 London, 1981 Hamburg & 1991 Switzerland
        Decca

Comment

• Arnold Bax
          • Sep 2017

Thanks Ferney for your kind words of greeting, and I do indeed have a passion for Bax: I have at least three complete cycles of his symphonies, the piano music and all the chamber stuff. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely a new boy, as until recently I posted as Colonel Danby, then the were complications and I couldn't remember my password, to my shame, so I just re-registered as my favourite composer.
          Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          I'm sure Bax-of-Delights will be thrilled to hear you say this, Bbm!

But welcome, indeed, AB

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Arnold Bax View Post
            Unfortunately, I'm not entirely a new boy, as until recently I posted as Colonel Danby, then the were complications and I couldn't remember my password, to my shame, so I just re-registered as my favourite composer.
            Then welcome back, indeed, Col! You were mentioned recently(-ish) in the "Absent Friends" Thread, so your re-appearance is multiple-y welcome.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Then welcome back, indeed, Col! You were mentioned recently(-ish) in the "Absent Friends" Thread, so your re-appearance is multiple-y welcome.
              Didn't think of coming back as Oliver Sterling then?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Didn't think of coming back as Oliver Sterling then?
                Matt Crawford more like!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Henry Purcell
                  Royal Welcome Songs for King James II.
                  The Sixteen, Harry Christophers.
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                    Matt Crawford more like!
                    All bets would be off being Alistair Lloyd!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

Prokofiev. Symphony no. 3. Op.44

Seiji Ozawa conducting Die Berliner Philharmoniker.

I barely know the Third Symphony so, having picked this CD up in the Ca Research shop for 50p, I've been keen to hear it. Looking at reviews on Amazon as well as Gramophone, it's difficult to find anyone with a good word to say about this cycle or indeed this individual disc. I have to say that, imho, it's not music that really has much appeal despite me being a huge Prokofiev fan. (Argerich's recording of the 3rd piano concerto would be a Desert Island CD!) This sounds as if Serge was experimenting.

I'd welcome other opinions.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Barry Guy: After the rain.
                        CLS/Hickox

(Perhaps should be on the Neglected......thread, but might get noticed more here.)
                        Anyone who likes the soundworld of Tippett's Concerto for double strings and Corelli Fantasia need not hesitate.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                          Prokofiev. Symphony no. 3. Op.44
                          Seiji Ozawa conducting Die Berliner Philharmoniker.
                          I barely know the Third Symphony so, having picked this CD up in the Ca Research shop for 50p, I've been keen to hear it. Looking at reviews on Amazon as well as Gramophone, it's difficult to find anyone with a good word to say about this cycle or indeed this individual disc. I have to say that, imho, it's not music that really has much appeal despite me being a huge Prokofiev fan. (Argerich's recording of the 3rd piano concerto would be a Desert Island CD!) This sounds as if Serge was experimenting.
                          I'd welcome other opinions.
                          I don't remember ever hearing the Ozawa, pasto, but it seems as if it might not be the best way into the work. Prompted by your post, I've just replayed the Leinsdorf/Boston recording - the parallels with Shostakovich Fourth (written about six years after the Prokofiev) are what first struck me - the way both composers respond to the twin challenges posed by Stravinsky and Mahler; and then how much more "conventionally" "lyrical" so much of the Prokofiev is by comparison. Leinsdorf gets superb playing from the Boston players (ironically, it occurs to me now, Ozawa's "own" orchestra at the time he recorded with the BPO) and has a secure ear for making the incidents of the work cohere as a symphony - it's a thrilling experience, coupled with a fine recording of the Prokofiev Fifth - and available in one of those bargain SONY boxes with all the Piano Concertos (with John Browning), both Violin Concertos (Friedmann in the first, Perlman in the second), Symphonies 2, 3, 5, & 6, the Kijé Suite, and a large dollop of R&J. Highly recommended - and how I wish the remaining Symphonies had also been recorded: it would have been a hard cycle to match!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                            • Nov 2010

Many thanks, ferney for taking the time to put your thoughts down. TBH, it sounded ok to me but I don't know the music at all. Interestingly, the Gramophone critic points out a couple of real howlers in the orchestral playing which I didn't notice first time round. (Surprising from this source although I suspect the Berlin Philharmonic were not familiar with this music).

I'll try to track down the recordings you suggest although I know I have the (R)SNO/Jarvi discs. It's interesting music but I doubt I'll listen to it that often.

(I do remember that when Gergiev and the LSO played a complete cycle at the Edinburgh Festival a few years ago, I asked one of the violinists how on earth they kept all that music under their fingers. He replied, 'Well, there's a hell of a lot of sight reading going on and, so long as the conductor doesn't muck around too much we should be ok. However, if he decides to do too much 'interpretation' then we could all end up in the soup!

As well as his frank admission, it made me realise what an incredibly high level of accomplishment these LSO players have since there's no way I would have played ANY of Prokofiev's music without a LOT of practice!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

To be ruthlessly critical, the Boston SO Violins sound as if they would have appreciated a couple of extra sectional rehearsals in the Scherzo of the Third - otherwise, it's pretty impressive playing.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

To be ruthlessly critical, the Boston SO Violins sound as if they would have appreciated a couple of extra sectional rehearsals in the Scherzo of the Third - otherwise, it's pretty impressive playing.
                                It sounds incredibly difficult music but, again, it's not standard repertoire so perhaps it wasn't quite under their fingers. I've reserved a couple of sets of Prokofiev symphonies from the public library but it's quite vague as to who the personnel are although they do list the record labels. I'll take pot luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X