• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    CD rate FLACs of:

I've collected about five or six of these sets so far - I enjoy them, but does anyone else feel that they are just a bit lacking in passion?

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      I've collected about five or six of these sets so far - I enjoy them, but does anyone else feel that they are just a bit lacking in passion?
      Not a weakness I have taken note of, I must say.

Comment

• AmpH
        • Feb 2012

No, you are not alone. I collected several issues on release initially, but found them dry and frankly rather lifeless interpretations, even if the technical quality of the playing was good. Opinions amongst musical friends and my local music group are mixed - some love them and others don't for similar reasons. Unfortunately Hyperion recordings aren't on the streaming services, but fortunately there are plenty of other Haydn Quartet recordings on these services and on disc to enable us to enjoy these marvellous works.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          But absolutely, the 3-movement No.26, ending with the tragic minuet (self-parodied by the trio - that classic Haydn trademark), really astonished me - and always has...
          (Not even Fey or Antonini quite match Bruggen in this one).

I sometimes wonder if it is another "unfinished symphony"..... which yet feels complete.... or does it?
          It had me fooled. I was listening to it in the Dorati Haydn symphony boxset. After the Minuet, it just carried on to what definitely was NOT the finale. It was the first movement of Symphony no. 27. It gave me quite a jolt!

But yes. Symphony no. 26 is very special.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
            No, you are not alone. I collected several issues on release initially, but found them dry and frankly rather lifeless interpretations, even if the technical quality of the playing was good. Opinions amongst musical friends and my local music group are mixed - some love them and others don't for similar reasons. Unfortunately Hyperion recordings aren't on the streaming services, but fortunately there are plenty of other Haydn Quartet recordings on these services and on disc to enable us to enjoy these marvellous works.
            Interesting, relieved to hear I am not alone. Yes, dry is how I would describe them and just rather unexciting, with the humour of Haydn often missing. It's a shame, as I had been looking forward to a good, complete period instrument cycle.

Comment

• AmpH
              • Feb 2012

Interesting, relieved to hear I am not alone. Yes, dry is how I would describe them and just rather unexciting, with the humour of Haydn often missing. It's a shame, as I had been looking forward to a good, complete period instrument cycle.
              Have you heard Op 76 1-3 with the Chiaroscuro Quartet on BIS ? I find them quite stunning and No's 4-6 due for release on Monday I believe.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Martinu, Hindemith, Honneger Cello Concertos.
                DRP/ Moser/ Poppen .
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Don't forget this one.... haven't heard much of it but I adore their Mozart, and the Haydn reviewed pretty well....those gorgeous Hungarian strings...
                  Annotation (contextual and highly detailed work-by-work) is truly excellent - top class and available on the Qobuz stream.....

Mes favoris
                  Cet élément a bien été ajouté / retiré de vos favoris.
                  Joseph Haydn : The Complete String Quartets played on period instruments
                  Festetics Quartet
                  Released on 07/10/2014 by Arcana
                  QOBUZ LOSSLESS

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Don't forget this one.... haven't heard much of it but I adore their Mozart, and the Haydn reviewed pretty well....those gorgeous Hungarian strings...
                    Annotation (contextual and highly detailed work-by-work) is truly excellent - top class and available on the Qobuz stream.....

Mes favoris
                    Festetics Quartet
                    QOBUZ LOSSLESS
                    Yes. I gradually collected those on CD before they got boxed. Very fine. How lucky we are to have several HIPP recordings of these masterpieces available.Each with its relative merits.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

A big plus with the Festetics is their set-up on stage, with 1st violin-viola-cello-2nd violin, an arrangement I usually prefer for the textural and tonal balance it offers; less lopsided, and better for stereo!
                      Much though I admire them, I've not found any Mosaïques vids or photos with this arrangement (yet) though the Londoners seem to vary it...

Comment

• gradus
                        • Nov 2010

Been comparing versions of a couple of the Debussy studies. I've had 'Pour les Octaves' on the brain for several days so Spotify obliged with Uchida, Pollini and Vacatello (of whom I'd not previously heard) but she can certainly get round the notes.
                        Of the 3, I preferred Pollini as he manages to make this extraordinary piece swing like a waltz.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                          Have you heard Op 76 1-3 with the Chiaroscuro Quartet on BIS ? I find them quite stunning and No's 4-6 due for release on Monday I believe.
                          Funnily enough, it was when I heard the Chiaroscuros that I realised what was missing from the performances by the LHQ.

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

Mes favoris
                            Festetics Quartet
                            QOBUZ LOSSLESS
                            Thanks, Jayne. Must confess I didn't know that the Hungarians had done all the quartets. Sadly the set is now only available at a sky high price...too bad I missed the boat when it came out!

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                              Been comparing versions of a couple of the Debussy studies. I've had 'Pour les Octaves' on the brain for several days so Spotify obliged with Uchida, Pollini and Vacatello (of whom I'd not previously heard) but she can certainly get round the notes.
                              Of the 3, I preferred Pollini as he manages to make this extraordinary piece swing like a waltz.
                              DId Livia Rev do most of the ones you are looking at? I think her recordings of Debussy are worth investigating.

Currently
                              Dvorák: Symphony 2 , Czech PO, Libor Pešek.

This has been considered one of the duller CDs in the complete set by Pešek, and I didn't realise that some of the symphonies are with the Czech PO (a very fine orchestra) rather than the RLPO - but it seems that maybe the RLPO got the better recordings in this set. I'll gradually work my way through and comment again - later - perhaps much later.

Comment

• Hitch
                                • Nov 2010

Ravel: Gaspard de la Nuit (arr. Marius Constant)

Bielefelder Philharmoniker/Kalajdzic (MDG)
                                Orchestre National de Lyon/Slatkin (Naxos)
                                Duisburger Phiharmoniker/Darlington (Acousence)

Le Gibet only: Philharmonia Orchestra/Simon (Cala)

A recent discovery for me, one which I'm pleased to have made. My favourite performance - alas, just the one movement seems to have been recorded - is the Philharmonia under Geoffrey Simon. The orchestration adds atmosphere, especially at the beginning of Le Gibet. Here, Marius Constant's 1990 arrangement sounds reminiscent of Vaughan Williams, which means, in my humble and admittedly ignorant opinion, that he made a good job of it.

Orchestral arrangements are very much a matter of taste. I hope this one suits some FOR3 members.

Comment

Working...
                                X