• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
    . . . Tchaikovsky: Symph 4 and Nutcracker Suite, Anima Eterna/Van Immerseel (on period instruments).
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Released a little over 18 years ago, it had entirely avoided my attention. Now streaming here from QOBUZ.

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
      Britten: Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge
      Bridge: Lament
      Berkeley: Serenade for Strings
      Bliss: Music for Strings

Sinfonia of London / John Wilson

Magnificent. Exceptional.

The quality of recordings released by the Sinfonia of London under John Wilson has been remarkable, but this one exceeds even those elevated standards. Back in 'the good old days', EMI came up with their series Great Recordings of the Century. One of the truly greatest of these was a collection of English music for strings, with Barbirolli conducting the Sinfonia of London and the New Philharmonia Orchestra in works by Elgar and Vaughan Williams. If there's ever a series celebrating Great Recordings of the 21st Century, this latest from John Wilson and the Sinfonia will definitely be on the list.

I woke ridiculously early from fitful sleep, turned to Qobuz for something to listen to and realised that it was Friday and some new releases were available. As soon as I spotted a new recording from John Wilson and the Sinfonia of London I turned to that first. I knew it would be good, but nothing prepared me for just how good. Everything is wonderful — the playing, the interpretations, the recording. Beg. Steal. Borrow. Hear this! There will be awards: guaranteed.
      Ordered

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Released a little over 18 years ago, it had entirely avoided my attention. Now streaming here from QOBUZ.
        I hope you're enjoying that. It's one of the few Tchaikovsky pieces I regularly listen to (I mean the 4th Symphony, not the other nonsense of course!) and it comes across very well in this performance and recording I think.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          I hope you're enjoying that. It's one of the few Tchaikovsky pieces I regularly listen to (I mean the 4th Symphony, not the other nonsense of course!) and it comes across very well in this performance and recording I think.
          Nonsense, Richard? - wash your mouth out with soap immediately!

The 4th is of course a masterpiece - I’ll check out the recording to see what it sounded like when Tchaikovsky walked this earth dreckly!

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Individual dances from the Nutcracker were some of my earliest experience of 'classical' music (on 78s). I retain a soft spot for the whole work. The 4th Symphony is though, by some margin, my favourite Tchaikovsky work. Its influence on Stravinsky is, if anything, even stronger than that of the Pathetique.

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

' ...nonsense ...!', come now, I'd guess that its been the entry point to a life of loving classical music for quite a few.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Individual dances from the Nutcracker were some of my earliest experience of 'classical' music (on 78s). I retain a soft spot for the whole work. The 4th Symphony is though, by some margin, my favourite Tchaikovsky work. Its influence on Stravinsky is, if anything, even stronger than that of the Pathetique.
                How well does the Immerseel recording do? I like a lot of his work and that of the orchestras he conducts.

Looks like someone has posted it to Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wj45BienQY

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  How well does the Immerseel recording do? I like a lot of his work and that of the orchestras he conducts.

Looks like someone has posted it to Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wj45BienQY
                  A very fine performance, I reckon. Good to hear the timbres of the sort of forces it was written for.

Now:

a link to which was kindly provided to me by Maestro Volkov this morning. All three works in the concert of considerable interest to me, especially the new Wolff piano concerto, The Mountain Messenger with Nicolas Hodges as soloist.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                    Britten: Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge
                    Bridge: Lament
                    Berkeley: Serenade for Strings
                    Bliss: Music for Strings

Sinfonia of London / John Wilson

Magnificent. Exceptional.

The quality of recordings released by the Sinfonia of London under John Wilson has been remarkable, but this one exceeds even those elevated standards. Back in 'the good old days', EMI came up with their series Great Recordings of the Century. One of the truly greatest of these was a collection of English music for strings, with Barbirolli conducting the Sinfonia of London and the New Philharmonia Orchestra in works by Elgar and Vaughan Williams. If there's ever a series celebrating Great Recordings of the 21st Century, this latest from John Wilson and the Sinfonia will definitely be on the list.

I woke ridiculously early from fitful sleep, turned to Qobuz for something to listen to and realised that it was Friday and some new releases were available. As soon as I spotted a new recording from John Wilson and the Sinfonia of London I turned to that first. I knew it would be good, but nothing prepared me for just how good. Everything is wonderful — the playing, the interpretations, the recording. Beg. Steal. Borrow. Hear this! There will be awards: guaranteed.
                    It's on my list already.
                    Absolute perfection.
                    “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
                      It's on my list already.
                      Absolute perfection.
                      Very impressed here, too!

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

Listening to it now and think it sounds great - just ordered it. There have only been a few Immerseel duds...his Symphonie Fantastique is a real disappointment.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Nonsense, Richard? - wash your mouth out with soap immediately!
                          I wasn't being serious , although it isn't something I'd choose to listen to usually. The 4th on the other hand was in the first concert I ever went to. I think I've mentioned before that the beginning of the last movement nearly made me jump out of my skin.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

I wasn't being serious , although it isn't something I'd choose to listen to usually. The 4th on the other hand was in the first concert I ever went to. I think I've mentioned before that the beginning of the last movement nearly made me jump out of my skin.
                            Arvid Jansons and the Leningrad Phil playing Tchaik 4 at Sheffield City Hall all those years ago set this as one of my top choices in the symphonic repertoire. The speed and accuracy of the finale was just musical magic.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                              • Nov 2010

Score following - Days 248-250

W A Mozart:
                              Serenade in D major 'Haffner' k250
                              Notturno in D for four orchestras k286
                              Serenade in D major 'Posthorn' k320
                              Serenade in B flat major for winds 'Gran Partita' k361
                              Serenade for winds in E flat major k375
                              Serenade for winds in C minor k388
                              Ein Musikalischer Spass k522
                              Serenade in G major 'Eine kleine Nachtmusik' k525

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

CD rate FLACs of:

Comment

Working...
                                X