• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Over the last few days, several recordings of

Bartok: String quartet 5 (in preparation for the forthcoming BaL)

Calidore Quartet (BBC MM CD)
    Heath Quartet
    Arcadia Quartet
    The Fine Arts Quartet
    Tokyo String Quartet
    Emerson String Quartet
    Belcea Quartet
    Alban Berg Quartett

What a wonderful work this is, and there are some quite different interpretations on offer.
    I didn't follow the score, which I probably should have done, to see who obeys Bartok's instructions best.
    I'll be interested to find out the criteria that Kate Molleson decides to use to discriminate between performances in her choices.
    I’ve played my Emerson recording twice since the Barton SQ thread was announced and agree—what a work! How did the ABQ fare in your survey?

Comment

• makropulos
      • Nov 2010

This evening's listening:
      Bach: Erschallet ihr Lieder (Cantata 172), St Thomas's Leipzig, Hans-Joachim Rotzsch.
      Brahms: Clarinet Quintet, Boskovsky/Vienna Octet (mono version).
      Astrud Gilberto/Gil Evans: Look to the Rainbow.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
        I’ve played my Emerson recording twice since the Barton SQ thread was announced and agree—what a work! How did the ABQ fare in your survey?
        I wasn't really taking notes, but I think I found its middle movement sounding like too much of a scramble, and not well enough articulated. But perhaps I'll listen again (with the score this time!) and report back if necessary. I haven't dug out my 1963 Juilliard set yet.

PS: Movement 3 comparison with Juilliard 1963 confirms that the latter sounds more coherent, so gets my vote. I doubt that this version will feature (more likely their later digital set, which I might get round to streaming before the programme), despite the acclaim it received. I'm looking forward even more to the BaL survey now.

PPS: Lovely typo in the Sony Juilliard 1963 set: the first performance of number 5 took place in Whashignton, apparently!
        Last edited by Pulcinella; 28-01-21, 10:51. Reason: PS added. Then PPS.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Yesterday’s listening.

Ernst von Dohnanyi Orchestral Works
          CD1

Ruralia Hungariica, Op.32b
          Piano Concerto No.1 in E minor, Op.21
          CD 2
          Symphony No.1 in D minor, Op.9
          American Rhapsody, Op.47
          BBC Philharmonic Orchestra
          Matthias Bamert
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Anna Netrebko - ‘Opera Arias’
            Arias from Mozart, Berlioz, Massenet, Donizetti, Bellini, Dvorak, Gounod, Puccini

Anna Netrebko (soprano)
            Wiener Staatsopernchor,
            Wiener Philharmoniker /Gianandrea Noseda
            Recorded 2003, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien
            Deutsche Grammophon

Magnard - ‘Complete Chamber Music - Centenary Edition’
            Violin Sonata in G major, Op. 13
            Cello Sonata in A major, Op. 20
            Piano Trio, Op. 18
            Quintet for piano and winds, Op. 8
            String Quartet in E minor, Op. 16
            Laurent Wagschal (piano) (Opp. 8, 13, 18, 20);
            Solenne Païdassi (violin) (Opp. 13, 18);
            Recorded 2014 Cœur de ville, Vincennes, France
            Timpani

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

Haydn Symphony 42 (prompted by 2nd movement broadcast on Winter Warmer last night - although it seemed out of place there)

Symphony no. 6 Le Matin - always a great pleasure Herr Haydn....
              Last edited by Quarky; 28-01-21, 13:12.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Corigliano-Dylan

Comment

• gradus
                  • Nov 2010

Haydn sym 104 conducted delightfully by Beecham with the LPO in the thirties; a menuetto as it should be and playing on point in that sprightly finale. Easy to forget just how good this combination of conductor and orchestra was - to take another example, their electrifying account of Lemminkainens Return.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

[QUOTE=gradus;831709]Haydn sym 104 conducted delightfully by Beecham with the LPO in the thirties; a menuetto as it should be and playing on point in that sprightly finale. Easy to forget just how good this combination of conductor and orchestra was - to take another example, their electrifying account of Lemminkainens Return.[/QUOTE]

Possibly a slight exaggeration to say it has never been bettered but it has always been an absolute belter and mastering in the Warner Sibelius Historical Recordings and Rarities 1928 -1948 is excellent.

Comment

• gradus
                      • Nov 2010

Beecham's way with the incidental music to Sibelius's Pelleas, this time with the New York Phil was a discovery this afternoon, the pieces are short but really movingly lovely and this, perhaps unexpected partnership, works extraordinarily well.

Comment

• makropulos
                        • Nov 2010

Schoenberg: Pelleas und Melisande from the big Barbirolli box.
                        Schmidt: Quintet in G major, Fleisher et al on Sony (the original piano left-hand version).
                        Tchaikovsky: Symph 4 and Nutcracker Suite, Anima Eterna/Van Immerseel (on period instruments).

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                          • Nov 2011

Britten: Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge
                          Bridge: Lament
                          Berkeley: Serenade for Strings
                          Bliss: Music for Strings

Sinfonia of London / John Wilson

Magnificent. Exceptional.

The quality of recordings released by the Sinfonia of London under John Wilson has been remarkable, but this one exceeds even those elevated standards. Back in 'the good old days', EMI came up with their series Great Recordings of the Century. One of the truly greatest of these was a collection of English music for strings, with Barbirolli conducting the Sinfonia of London and the New Philharmonia Orchestra in works by Elgar and Vaughan Williams. If there's ever a series celebrating Great Recordings of the 21st Century, this latest from John Wilson and the Sinfonia will definitely be on the list.

I woke ridiculously early from fitful sleep, turned to Qobuz for something to listen to and realised that it was Friday and some new releases were available. As soon as I spotted a new recording from John Wilson and the Sinfonia of London I turned to that first. I knew it would be good, but nothing prepared me for just how good. Everything is wonderful — the playing, the interpretations, the recording. Beg. Steal. Borrow. Hear this! There will be awards: guaranteed.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Natalie Dessay - ‘Airs d'operas francais’
                            From Massenet, Offenbach, Thomas, Gounod, Boïeldieu, Offenbach, Rossini, Donizetti

Natalie Dessay (soprano)
                            Choeur ‘Les Eléments’
                            Orchestre National Capitole de Toulouse / Michel Plasson
                            Recorded 2003 Halle-aux-Grains, Toulouse
                            Virgin Classics

Reynaldo Hahn - ‘Chamber Music’
                            String Quartet No. 1 in A minor (1939)
                            String Quartet No. 2 in F major (1943)
                            Quintet for piano and strings in F sharp minor (1917-22)
                            Romance in A major for violin and piano (1901)
                            Variations chantantes sur un air ancien for cello and piano(1905)
                            Two Improvisations on Irish Airs for cello and piano (éd. 1911)
                            a) The Little Red-Lark
                            b) The Willow-Tree
                            Dania Tchalik (piano)
                            Quatuor Tchalik
                            Recorded 2019, La Seine Musicale, Île Seguin, Boulogne-Billancourt, Paris
                            Alkonost Classic - New release
                            Last edited by Stanfordian; 29-01-21, 12:36.

Comment

• gradus
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post

The quality of recordings released by the Sinfonia of London under John Wilson has been remarkable, but this one exceeds even those elevated standards. Back in 'the good old days', EMI came up with their series Great Recordings of the Century. One of the truly greatest of these was a collection of English music for strings, with Barbirolli conducting the Sinfonia of London and the New Philharmonia Orchestra in works by Elgar and Vaughan Williams. If there's ever a series celebrating Great Recordings of the 21st Century, this latest from John Wilson and the Sinfonia will definitely be on the list.

I woke ridiculously early from fitful sleep, turned to Qobuz for something to listen to and realised that it was Friday and some new releases were available. As soon as I spotted a new recording from John Wilson and the Sinfonia of London I turned to that first. I knew it would be good, but nothing prepared me for just how good. Everything is wonderful — the playing, the interpretations, the recording. Beg. Steal. Borrow. Hear this! There will be awards: guaranteed.
                              Will certainly give this a go.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post

Gramophone (Feb 2021) certainly liked it (Editor's Choice).
                                And hurrah: it's now appeared on Deezer (wasn't there yesterday), so no prizes for guessing what I'll be listening to later.

Comment

Working...
                                X