• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    what, not even AB, jane
    On the same level, simply. Often together, in my mind.
    I tend to identify them as belonging to some similar category of classical symphonism, of endless innovation and originality; of a wide emotional, musical and imaginative range; both tend toward the possibility, at least, of a greater spiritual calmness.
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 26-01-21, 20:57.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I'm still reeling somewhat from listening twice to Das Lied von der Erde today
      Wasn't that an incredible peroformance, Richard? One which I came upon by chance, and I'm still reeling too. It was Rattle with The German Symphony Orchestra and with superb meezzo and tenor soloists. In the past I have commented on how sparingly Mahler uses an often massive orchestra. But this performance struck me as especially sparing...in a good way....and it was announced at the end that it was a chember version. (Arranged by someone.) It worked incredibly well. But the performance was so good, I'm not surprised you listened twice. I'll do the same. Maybe multiple times!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        It was Rattle with The German Symphony Orchestra and with superb meezzo and tenor soloists. In the past I have commented on how sparingly Mahler uses an often massive orchestra. But this performance struck me as especially sparing...in a good way....and it was announced at the end that it was a chember version. (Arranged by someone.)
        Tomorrow's listening sorted, although, according to the BBC website, it was Frau Rattle (Magdalena Kozena) rather than Sir Simon who was involved. The conductor was Robin Ticciati - and the arrangement by Glen Cortese would have been one of the two which I note he has prepared for Universal Edition. I heard one of them (I'm ashamed to say that I cannot remember which one) three or four years ago in concert sung by Alice Coote and Stuart Skelton with the Australian Chamber Orchestra. One got used to the pared-down scoring remarkably quickly so much looking forward to hearing the performance, not least for Andrew Staples in the tenor songs.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
          Tomorrow's listening sorted, although, according to the BBC website, it was Frau Rattle (Magdalena Kozena) rather than Sir Simon who was involved. The conductor was Robin Ticciati - and the arrangement by Glen Cortese would have been one of the two which I note he has prepared for Universal Edition. I heard one of them (I'm ashamed to say that I cannot remember which one) three or four years ago in concert sung by Alice Coote and Stuart Skelton with the Australian Chamber Orchestra. One got used to the pared-down scoring remarkably quickly so much looking forward to hearing the performance, not least for Andrew Staples in the tenor songs.
          Not so, HD! The BBC website makes clear that the Das Lied was conducted by Rattle: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000rn6l
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Tallis: Lamentations
            Choir of King's College, Cambridge
            Sir David Willcocks

[interval]

Shostakovich: Symphony No 8
            Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra
            Kirill Kondrashin

Comment

• DoctorT

Dvorak
              Symphony no.5
              LSO/Kertesz

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

The BBC website makes clear that the Das Lied was conducted by Rattle
                I have to say the website is most confusing! Scrolling down to the individual works, it suggests it was Ticciati at the helm. The 'show more' blurb and The Radio Times (yes, some of us still buy it) clearly state Simon Rattle. Whoever, it was a b****y good performance of Das Lied.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  s - a world-changing discovery for me....still recall the impact of hearing 26, (The Lamentation) for the first time to this day....

I played nothing else for weeks.
                  That's one hell of a recommendation, Jayne. As soon as the footy's over, I'm going to listen to it!

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                    Australian Chamber Orchestra, you say. How about https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b1xs2d , though the listing is somewhat confusing regarding the performers involved.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                      • Jan 2019

Today

Bartok

String Quartets

A mixture of Keller and Belcea
                      “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                        I have to say the website is most confusing! Scrolling down to the individual works, it suggests it was Ticciati at the helm. The 'show more' blurb and The Radio Times (yes, some of us still buy it) clearly state Simon Rattle. Whoever, it was a b****y good performance of Das Lied.
                        From the orchestra's website which clears it all up (hopefully!) https://www.dso-berlin.de/en/concert...i-2020-nov6-7/

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          Not so, HD! The BBC website makes clear that the Das Lied was conducted by Rattle: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000rn6l
                          Duh! I was wrong. “43 years after he first conducted them, the DSO welcomed back Sir Simon Rattle”. Very happy to listen. I saw SR conduct the LSO in the work with Stuart Skelton and Christian Gerhaher at the Barbican a couple of years ago (or was it more recently?) but in the full orchestral version so it will be good to hear it in its reduced form conducted by him.

Comment

• Tapiola
                            • Jan 2011

Scelsi - Chukrum and Hymnos

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              That's one hell of a recommendation, Jayne. As soon as the footy's over, I'm going to listen to it!
                              I was thinking of the box of course, which had 26, 35, 38, 39, 41-52, 58, 59, 65. And did indeed dominate my listening for some time.
                              But absolutely, the 3-movement No.26, ending with the tragic minuet (self-parodied by the trio - that classic Haydn trademark), really astonished me - and always has...
                              (Not even Fey or Antonini quite match Bruggen in this one).

I sometimes wonder if it is another "unfinished symphony"..... which yet feels complete.... or does it?

In other news.....

Mozart
                              String Quartets K421; K464.
                              Kuijken Quartet. Denon Japan Aliare CD.

​Is there a more perfectly wrought quartet by Mozart, or anyone, somewhere beyond K421? A towering tragic masterpiece, so fully expressed in every detail...hard to believe a mere human created it. The balance between the light and the dark is so delicate, so perfect, that to change a single detail would be impossible. In D Minor, note, not Mozart's more frequent tragic G Minor (K183, K478, K550, K516...)

The first Mozart Quartet I got to know well (thanks to Hans Keller's comments upon it), on a Record Library LP, but I can't recall which players. There won't have been too many alternatives in the mid-70s. It has haunted me, and obsessed me, ever since. I really need to hear it again now.... with the Mosaïques...
                              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 27-01-21, 04:26.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                Now 'spinning' via youtube.

Comment

Working...
                                X