• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Stunning New Kids!
    So glad you agree! There's hope for you yet......

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      So glad you agree! There's hope for you yet......
      No I meant they were the ones whose piano sounds like a harp!

I do like the Williens Haffner and the Posthorn should be winging its way to me!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        No I meant they were the ones whose piano sounds like a harp!

I do like the Williens Haffner and the Posthorn should be winging its way to me!
        Oh I know, just being a bit mischievous..... BTW, was there an outage here this afternoon? Couldn't get in, and very few posts recently...

OK, time for some more piano sonatas......

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Oh I know, just being a bit mischievous..... BTW, was there an outage here this afternoon? Couldn't get in, and very few posts recently...

OK, time for some more piano sonatas......
          I believe there was. I was also unable to connect.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            I believe there was. I was also unable to connect.
            Ditto.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Courtesy of an excellent Spotify playlist I've been on a Buxtehude spree this morning - a happy diversion from the ghastly weather. Replete with gems. A couple of albums that grabbed me were:

Vocal Music Emma Kirkby and friends.

Dipped into Complete Organ Works from Marie-Ange Leurent and Eric Lebrun

Comment

• Tapiola
                • Jan 2011

Gurnemanz,

Coincidentally, I will be spinning the Buxtehude Advent organ works this weekend from the set by Ulrik Spang-Hanssen (on Membran).

This could even be on the Bargains thread!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                  Gurnemanz,

Coincidentally, I will be spinning the Buxtehude Advent organ works this weekend from the set by Ulrik Spang-Hanssen (on Membran).

Bach had to hike 250 miles to Lübeck. Luckily we just have to click a few buttons.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Gurnemanz,

Any particular works you'd recommend, Tapiola?
                    I have a 5CD set on (French) harmonia mundi, played by René Saorgin on organs in Alkmaar, Zwolle, Altenbruch, and Arleshein.

Comment

• Tapiola
                      • Jan 2011

Pulcinella,

I do not know these works well but I like the Praeludium in G minor (BuxWV 163) and the 2 settings of "Herr Christ, der einig Gottes Sohn" (BuxWV 191-2). Listening to Buxtehude at Advent has become a bit of a tradition for me in the last few years. Spang-Hansen plays Lund Organ in Praesto Kirke (forgive the lack of Danish accents!).

How is Saorgin in this music? (One of my favourite Bach discs is his Orgelbuchlein, also on Harmonia Mundi.)

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Pulcinella,

I do not know these works well but I like the Praeludium in G minor (BuxWV 163) and the 2 settings of "Herr Christ, der einig Gottes Sohn" (BuxWV 191-2). Listening to Buxtehude at Advent has become a bit of a tradition for me in the last few years. Spang-Hansen plays Lund Organ in Praesto Kirke (forgive the lack of Danish accents!).

How is Saorgin in this music? (One of my favourite Bach discs is his Orgelbuchlein, also on Harmonia Mundi.)
                        Many thanks for the suggestions. Sadly, the Praeludium you mention does not appear to be in the set, but the two Choral Preludes are.
                        I don't know the works at all, let alone well, and have no other performances, so nothing to compare with.
                        I have the equivalent harmonia mundi JSB Organ works set, with Lionel Rogg as organist, which I know is pretty highly regarded, but nothing else played by Saorgin.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Tapiola
                          • Jan 2011

Very much a Buxtehude novice here, Pulcinella. Perhaps gurnemanz can recommend other organ works from the set he has dipped into?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Very much a Buxtehude novice here, Pulcinella. Perhaps gurnemanz can recommend other organ works from the set he has dipped into?
                            Perhaps so, as the plot thickens, and Grove's Dictionary of Music and Musicians doesn't help much.

If you look at the Presto list of recordings, you'll see that there are some pieces with multiple descriptions (e.g., BuxWV 150, which is listed as in G major, G minor, no key, and as a Prelude and Fugue in G minor!).

Praeludium in G Major, BuxWV 150
                            Prelude & Fugue in G minor BuxWV150
                            Prelude BuxWV 150
                            Prelude in G minor BuxWV150

A profile of the composer Dietrich Buxtehude (c.1637-1707), along with a list of their works available to browse and buy.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

This will have to go on two threads. It falls into both the 'classical' and 'experimental' categories, I reckon:

Comment

• Tapiola
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                                Perhaps so, as the plot thickens, and Grove's Dictionary of Music and Musicians doesn't help much.

If you look at the Presto list of recordings, you'll see that there are some pieces with multiple descriptions (e.g., BuxWV 150, which is listed as in G major, G minor, no key, and as a Prelude and Fugue in G minor!).

Praeludium in G Major, BuxWV 150
                                Prelude & Fugue in G minor BuxWV150
                                Prelude BuxWV 150
                                Prelude in G minor BuxWV150

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...308--buxtehude

My Membran issue of this opus states "g", as in G minor. It certainly starts in the minor but moves to the major quite quickly thereafter...and it is definitely fugal as it progresses.

Comment

Working...
                                X