X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mario
    • Aug 2020

Jayne, really sorry to hear this.

(Selfish thought...) If you vanish, even for a few days, who's going to guide me in my voyage of Mozart's music?

The VERY best to you,

Mario

Comment

• Quarky
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      Mozart
      String Quintets K406; K503.
      Kuijken Quartet/Ryo Terakado.
      Denon Japan Aliare CDs.

Given the terrible day I'm having, by far the worst of a traumatic year, even Mozart may stop working soon.....
      I'll try to stick around, I really need to, but if I'm missing for a few days....I'll be back....
      Get Well Soon, Jayne, you will be missed.

If Mozart doesn't work, you might try Eliane Radigue - sitting or lying in a meditation position - but that might not be your thing.......

Comment

• Mario
        • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Auferstehen View Post
        Now comparing that performance with this one by Arthur Grumiaux (violin) / Arrigo Pellicia (viola) / LSO / Sir Colin Davis

Mario

PS Found it! Here it is on Youtube:

W.A.Mozart Sinfonia Concertante In E Flat K 364 For Violin & Viola1. Allegro Maestoso 0:002. Andante 13:133. Presto 24:29Arthur Grumiaux, ViolinArrigo Pel...

Interesting comment further down under the YouTube video:

“So many of Mozart's great works are in E flat -- the Masonic key.”

Is this true?

Mario
        And now finally, picking up on Joseph K's link, it's Wolfram Brandl (violin) / Yulia Devneka (viola) / Staatskapelle Berlin O / Daniel Barenboim

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        Enjoy!

Mario

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Francoise Pollet - ‘Recital’
          Opera arias by Gounod, Halévy, Rossini, Berlioz, Saint-Saëns, Reyer, Massenet, Verdi

Francoise Pollet (soprano)
          Orchestre Philharmonique De Montpellier / Cyril Diederich
          Recorded 1989, Opéra national de Montpellier
          Erato/Warner Classics CD

Ravel
          Introduction and Allegro, for harp, flute, clarinet and string quartet
          Debussy
          Sonata for flute, viola and harp
          Roussel
          Sérénade, for flute, string trio and harp
          Ropartz
          Prélude, Marine et Chansons, for flute, harp, violin, viola & cello
          Osian Ellis (harp), Marie-Claire Jamet (harp)
          Melos Ensemble
          Recorded 1961, Walthamstow Assembly hall, London
          Decca CD - This 'classic' recording still sounds fresh!

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Britten: Sinfonia da requiem, Op 20

City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
            Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla
            Recorded: 2019-10-09
            Recording Venue: Elbphilharmonie, Hamburg

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              Francoise Pollet - ‘Recital’
              Opera arias by Gounod, Halévy, Rossini, Berlioz, Saint-Saëns, Reyer, Massenet, Verdi

Francoise Pollet (soprano)
              Orchestre Philharmonique De Montpellier / Cyril Diederich
              Recorded 1989, Opéra national de Montpellier
              Erato/Warner Classics CD

Ravel
              Introduction and Allegro, for harp, flute, clarinet and string quartet
              Debussy
              Sonata for flute, viola and harp
              Roussel
              Sérénade, for flute, string trio and harp
              Ropartz
              Prélude, Marine et Chansons, for flute, harp, violin, viola & cello
              Osian Ellis (harp), Marie-Claire Jamet (harp)
              Melos Ensemble
              Recorded 1961, Walthamstow Assembly hall, London
              Decca CD - This 'classic' recording still sounds fresh!
              Yes - one of 60s Decca’s best!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
                Get Well Soon, Jayne, you will be missed.

If Mozart doesn't work, you might try Eliane Radigue - sitting or lying in a meditation position - but that might not be your thing.......
                I've had Occam Ocean 2 playing here recently after Richard's recommend; I was variously - engaged, entranced, a little aurally pressured sometimes.... but could not yet find an intelligent comment about it...

Forgive me if this seems out of place, but it isn't illness..... a case of threats and malicious damage, but I have the support of the law and others now. Just a case of finding strength and courage for a while longer....

Thankyou to everyone for the support here.

Comment

• silvestrione
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  I've had Occam Ocean 2 playing here recently after Richard's recommend; I was variously - engaged, entranced, a little aurally pressured sometimes.... but could not yet find an intelligent comment about it...

Forgive me if this seems out of place, but it isn't illness..... a case of threats and malicious damage, but I have the support of the law and others now. Just a case of finding strength and courage for a while longer....
                  'A little aurally pressured'...I'd say. Not just a little, I'm afraid. I found myself asking, do people actually sit and listen to all 52 minutes, perhaps even more than once? Or is it something you have on while you clean the bathroom? Or listen to in bits. The drone sounds are not aurally pleasing, and the changes, when they come, provide the relief like the kind I remember someone ascribing to the quiet ending of a Boulez sonata, the relief you get when you stop battering your head on a wall....

Sorry, I should just say, not for me, and I only (only!) did 25 minutes, anyway.

P.S. I like Boulez

Comment

• Quarky
                    • Dec 2010

....Well, we're in to the East v. West mind sets.... is 4'33" really music, and all that?

I have Occam Ocean II on via YouTube at the moment. I'm not actually making a conscious effort to listen to it - it's a background drone, rather like a Buddhist monk intoning a chant. When I have finished typing, I will just be observing my breaths, maybe counting them.

That's my take anyway. Don't think Boulez is material to the issue.

As always, IMHO.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                      'A little aurally pressured'...I'd say. Not just a little, I'm afraid. I found myself asking, do people actually sit and listen to all 52 minutes, perhaps even more than once? Or is it something you have on while you clean the bathroom? Or listen to in bits. The drone sounds are not aurally pleasing, and the changes, when they come, provide the relief like the kind I remember someone ascribing to the quiet ending of a Boulez sonata, the relief you get when you stop battering your head on a wall....

Sorry, I should just say, not for me, and I only (only!) did 25 minutes, anyway.

P.S. I like Boulez
                      I listened to this a while back, on Richard’s first recommendation. Funnily enough, 25 minutes was what I “ managed”. Not that I didn’t enjoy it, but I felt thst it had, by that point, said what it had to say to me.
                      Which probably sounds terribly arrogant,and which it isn't meant to be, because I accept that this is my failing rather than the composer’s.

Currently
                      Brahms Requiem and Alto Rhapsody. LPO / Jurowski. From that lovely box set.

I certainly miss seeing VJ conducting, and the LPO playing live. Crack outfit, IMO.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        I listened to this a while back, on Richard’s first recommendation. Funnily enough, 25 minutes was what I “ managed”. Not that I didn’t enjoy it, but I felt thst it had, by that point, said what it had to say to me.
                        If you had that thought about the first half of say Beethoven 9, though, you'd come away with a somewhat lopsided impression of what the piece "has to say". Not that Radigue's piece has a big chorus at the end, but the second half isn't the same as the first, and (IMO) the whole thing has a shape which really ought to be experienced as a whole. It won't be to everyone's taste, that's for sure, but it certainly doesn't sound like any other orchestral music I've ever heard, and I think it repays the kind of attentive listening where you're enveloped by the sound and register every microscopic change, as if it's a gradually growing and evolving organism. If it's used as background music it's just going to seem like a featureless drone. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, this is "contemporary music" in a sense that for example Birtwistle isn't.

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Happy birthday Liszt...

Les Préludes, Orpheus - Orchester Wiener Akademie/Haselboeck

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                            If you had that thought about the first half of say Beethoven 9, though, you'd come away with a somewhat lopsided impression of what the piece "has to say". Not that Radigue's piece has a big chorus at the end, but the second half isn't the same as the first, and (IMO) the whole thing has a shape which really ought to be experienced as a whole. It won't be to everyone's taste, that's for sure, but it certainly doesn't sound like any other orchestral music I've ever heard, and I think it repays the kind of attentive listening where you're enveloped by the sound and register every microscopic change, as if it's a gradually growing and evolving organism. If it's used as background music it's just going to seem like a featureless drone. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, this is "contemporary music" in a sense that for example Birtwistle isn't.
                            Your description here says something of my experience. Immediately engaged by the long dark slow drift, I was drawn in more and more as the layers or clouds of sound and texture became more complex, then changed slowly again, a little higher, then lower, and I was immersed.
                            I heard it once in the room, sometimes walking around standing in different places; but later let it drift around the house, still always aware of its presence. In close attendance, I did feel uncomfortably pressured around halfway through; perhaps part of the question it asks of the listening ear and the human response; or perhaps that speaks to the need for a bigger performing space; moving around helped.

A difficult thing to describe, as you can see.....

I also reflected, how remarkaby electronic it sounds! Which was another part of the fascination: I looked again at the booklet photos of the orchestra...
                            I will take a chance on the O-O-1 soon.....

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                              Thanks Richard. You know , part of the “ problem “ is that we are so spoiled for access to music nowadays, with the issues that this brings, and which we (those of us brought up in the age of musical scarcity) are probably still learning to deal with.
                              Tell you what, after Panic has finished, I’ll give it another go.......
                              Incidentally, ( and with reference to Jayne’s comments) the first time I heard it was on some reasonable headphones, which may or may not have helped the experience,
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Liszt - B minor sonata - Lazaridis

FURT - message

Comment

Working...
                                X