X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Beethoven Symphonies.

William Steinberg conducting The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.

Deutsche Grammophon.

When I ordered these I was under the impression that this was simply the complete 1950's cycle that were recorded for Capitol and were eventually issued on the MfP label, records that my father owned and were my introduction to this music. However, this is not the case with this 2020 DG issue.

This cycle was recorded in the early 1960's for the Command Classics label, ( on I believe, 35mm film). I had no idea this cycle existed so rather than simply filling in the gaps of the 50's cycle that were issued in the Steinberg EMI Big Box from 2011 it's a completely new experience.

I've only listened to a little bit but it sounds pretty terrific.
    Last edited by pastoralguy; 09-06-20, 12:57.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Rach Symp 2 and Symphonic Dances.

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
        Nice. Who's playing ?
        Little known Harmonia Mundi recording by Vasko Vassilev (ROH leader) and Pamela Tan-Nicholson. I bought it after hearing the performance in HMV Oxford Street one lunchtime and it has remained a favourite.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
          Little known Harmonia Mundi recording by Vasko Vassilev (ROH leader) and Pamela Tan-Nicholson. I bought it after hearing the performance in HMV Oxford Street one lunchtime and it has remained a favourite.
          ... this one?

( - bur cheaper here perhaps : https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0000007GD )

Last edited by vinteuil; 09-06-20, 14:39.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
            Beethoven Symphonies.

Deutsche Grammophon.

When I ordered these I was under the impression that this was simply the complete 1950's cycle that were recorded for Capitol and were eventually issued on the MfP label, records that my father owned and were my introduction to this music. However, this is not the case with this 2020 DG issue.

This cycle was recorded in the early 1960's for the Command Classics label, ( on I believe, 35mm film). I had no idea this cycle existed so rather than simply filling in the gaps of the 50's cycle that were issued in the Steinberg EMI Big Box from 2011 it's a completely new experience.

Available on Qobuz.....
            Qobuz is the world leader in 24-bit Hi-Res downloads, offering more than 100 million tracks for streaming in unequalled sound quality (FLAC 16 Bits / 44.1kHz)

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

​Hindemith ​Kammermusik 2-4.
              Vogt/Georg Faust/Blacher/Berliner Philharmoniker/Abbado. EMI CDs. Rec. 1996-9.

​I love the way these open up as you come through them a second time.... as Basil Bunting said of Domenico Scarlatti, they "condense so much music into so few bars..."
              First time its...good, very nice,
              admirable.... but just revelling in them now...the heart follows the head; the emotions engage.
              Such evocative night music - including insects....

Might take the same trip with Chailly soon....

(I dare say though, No.7 for Organ ​probably isn't anyone's favourite....)

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Beethoven Symphonies.

Deutsche Grammophon.

I agree it is an excellent box! I am hoping this is not a one off for the Beethoven year and DG will follow with other Command issues.

Comment

• peterthekeys
                  • Aug 2014

Sibelius symphonies - Boston Symphony Orchestra under Colin Davis.

I've had these on my shelves for a long time, and decided I should probably get round to listening to them. I can't get over the scorching intensity of the performances - no.4 particularly is a revelation.

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Just checked out Haydn no.1 op.20 played by the Chiascuros while changing guitar strings.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      I agree it is an excellent box! I am hoping this is not a one off for the Beethoven year and DG will follow with other Command issues.
                      Yes, that would be terrific.

Some extremely knowledgeable person on Amazon said these 35mm film recordings were not kept in the best of condition. (The 4th movement of the Ninth Symphony had to transferred from an Lp). It would be a shame if the other recordings for Command had been allowed to deteriorate.

Comment

• Jonathan
                        • Mar 2007

Liszt's Dante Symphony - the Noseada recording from a few years ago no Chandos. I'd forgotten how good it is!
                        Best regards,
                        Jonathan

Comment

• gradus
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          That's the one.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

Yes, that would be terrific.

Some extremely knowledgeable person on Amazon said these 35mm film recordings were not kept in the best of condition. (The 4th movement of the Ninth Symphony had to transferred from an Lp). It would be a shame if the other recordings for Command had been allowed to deteriorate.
                            Quite a few Command Classics Steinberg downloads from Open Reel Tape here.......
                            High Resolution Downloads, Classical Music, Jazz Music, Rare Audiophile, DSD Downloads, Pure Audio. Blu ray Audio

You can order CDs instead "burned not stamped" including 24K Gold and 24/192 DVD....

....I used to buy from here and should say the approach was inclined to the warts & all, non-interventionist.... so caveat emptor, and have a good listen to the samples before committing.....I bought this one - the Konzertmusik was spectacular...

Can't find the files now though....
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 09-06-20, 19:41.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              Quite a few Command Classics Steinebrg downloads from Open Reel Tape here.......
                              High Resolution Downloads, Classical Music, Jazz Music, Rare Audiophile, DSD Downloads, Pure Audio. Blu ray Audio

....I used to buy from here and should say the approach was inclined to the warts & all, non-interventionist.... so caveat emptor, and have a good listen to the samples before committing.....I bought this one - the Konzertmusik was spectacular...

Can't find the files now though....

Thank you!

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Thank you!
                                I had a couple of them on LP - the Steinberg Rach 2 and Berlioz Fantastique with Vandernoot and a French orchestra with a good early 60s Gallic sound!

Comment

Working...
                                X