• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Beethoven
    Piano sonatas
    Friedrich Gulda
    German Decca 'Eloquence' complete piano sonatas & piano concertos with Wiener Philharmoniker / Horst Stein

Casually meandering through, and in and out of, this superb set. What's not to like ? Excellent on the sound / technical front, too.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
      • Nov 2010

Have the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra stream running now (don't tell my boss ), with Gustavo Gimeno about to conduct Dvorak 8, live:

Comment

• Padraig
        • Feb 2013

Bach: The Seven Keyboard Toccatas.

'It is not clear for which instrument they were written - organ or harpsichord. Either is possible, and the piano makes an excellent case for them as well.' Angela Hewitt.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Mes favoris
          Cet élément a bien été ajouté / retiré de vos favoris.
          Rundfunkchor Berlin/Windplayers of the Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin
          Gijs Leenaars, conductor
          Pentatone 24/48 New Release Qobuz-S

....​wonderfully apt coupling, fine, slightly dry, sound...

Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 06-06-20, 03:23.

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Schumann's utterly extraordinary op14 piano sonata played by Bavouzet, very impressive playing and recording but made me want to listen to the old Horowitz version that sounds as though there were tacks stuck on the hammer heads.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Not perhaps classical music as we know it, but currently listening to virtual harpsichord (samples) at
              Affordable, accurate, and easy to use, the Classic Collection contains all of Versilian Studios original hits including: Tubular Bells, Marimba, Xylophone, Glockenspiel, Timpani, Hand Chimes, Wine Glasses, and Italian Harpsichord. These instruments are joined by three bonus harpsichords, including the French model from VSCO 2 and a Flemish model not previously released.

Short extracts such as this https://soundcloud.com/samulis/sam-g...psichord-demos on Soundcloud.

I have managed to get some of Versilian VIs to work, and this Italian harpsichord seems cheap enough to be worth a punt at $15.
              It does sound quite good, and is based on a real original instrument.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

Mes favoris
                Cet élément a bien été ajouté / retiré de vos favoris.
                Rundfunkchor Berlin/Windplayers of the Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin
                Gijs Leenaars, conductor
                Pentatone 24/48 New Release Qobuz-S

....​wonderfully apt coupling, fine, slightly dry, sound...

This looks most tempting!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

It is indeed....you should enjoy that one......& how nice to see a string of BBMmk2 on the threads again....
                  (Did you know there's a Cuckoo in the E Minor Mass? Spot the Cuckoo!)

Just in medias res with the Hindemith Kammermusik now, but need to get some more sleep....post later...

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Brahms Violin Concerto - Anne-Sophie Mutter with Kurt Masur/New York Phil. I have very belatedly only just come across this recording by the route of deciding to listen to her version of the rarely played Schumann Fantasy op 131, which is the filler on the disc. A beautiful and exhilarating live performance.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      Brahms Violin Concerto - Anne-Sophie Mutter with Kurt Masur/New York Phil. I have very belatedly only just come across this recording by the route of deciding to listen to her version of the rarely played Schumann Fantasy op 131, which is the filler on the disc. A beautiful and exhilarating live performance.
                      I certainly agree gurnemanz that this is a very fine performance by Mutter; a work in which she excels and I love to hear her play.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                        It is indeed....you should enjoy that one......& how nice to see a string of BBMmk2 on the threads again....
                        (Did you know there's a Cuckoo in the E Minor Mass? Spot the Cuckoo!)

Just in medias res with the Hindemith Kammermusik now, but need to get some more sleep....post later...
                        Many thanks, JLW. Great to be back.

Today’s offering

William Byrd
                        My Ladye Nevells Booke
                        Christopher Hogwood, various keyboards.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

.....music qua music qua music....

Hindemith

Kammermusik 1-4.
                          Vogt/Georg Faust/Blacher/Berliner Philharmoniker/Abbado. EMI CDs. Rec. 1996-9.

​So replete with invention and musical event, I love the way these works can change, almost cyclothymatically, mood to mood, minute to minute...
                          Perhaps a degree more warmth and melodiousness compared to Chailly; both are equally virtuosic...but Vogt really gets those plates spinning in No.2...

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Those are nice pieces, JLW. I started listening to them a while ago but I didn't finish... maybe I should start and finish some time... soon...

Comment

• johnb
                              • Mar 2007

Buxtehude
                              Trio Sonatas Op 1
                              Arcangelo ensemble
                              Alpha Classics

Lovely stuff.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                                Those are nice pieces, JLW. I started listening to them a while ago but I didn't finish... maybe I should start and finish some time... soon...
                                There are some free downloads of the Kammermusik works here, JK. Check out agp 153 also.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X