• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Dipping in and out of -
    Beethoven : complete symphonies
    Boston Symphony Orchestra / Erich Leinsdorf

Sometimes only the 'old warhorses,' are are all that's needed ! There's certainly something to be said for them.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
      Dipping in and out of -
      Beethoven : complete symphonies
      Boston Symphony Orchestra / Erich Leinsdorf

Sometimes only the 'old warhorses,' are are all that's needed ! There's certainly something to be said for them.
      Absolutely I am part way through Steinberg with CAO Jochum lined up to follow - I think that then the E Kleiber 3/5/6/7/9 will be not far from the player also! - and following your lead I’ll dig out the Leinsdorf!

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        I used to own the Angeles Quartet box. I see it's no longer available (though I've only looked on amazon). Any recommendations for other Haydn SQ boxes/other things I should get?
        On the subject of "no longer available" or even "was it ever", I have been listening to a Sony CD I bought from the Kensington High Street Oxfam shop of Won Kim playing the Three movements from Petrushka, Gaspard de la nuit and Etudes-Tableaux Op. 39. O.K., it does say on the card slip-sheet holding the jewel case (replete with booklet in Korean and English) "NOT FOR SALE", so was probably a review copy, but searching the Internet for information regarding the disc brought up only two hits, one on a dodgy Russian download site and the other a Korean releases listing site which even Chrome did not offer to translate. I did, however, find the Stravinsky on Youtube (a comparison with another performance by 'Ullman').

Whatever happened to this Won Kim? The recording dates from June 2008.

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Absolutely I am part way through Steinberg with CAO Jochum lined up to follow - I think that then the E Kleiber 3/5/6/7/9 will be not far from the player also! - and following your lead I’ll dig out the Leinsdorf!
          Sounds like a brilliant Beethoven immersion project. E Kleiber's LvB 7, was my introduction to a hitherto unknown work to me (as a teen in the 1970s) Decca Eclipse.
          If I had to make just two observations on Leinsdorf's BSO set;
          1) not as hard-driven as Szell in Cleveland (although I much enjoy Szell's, too)
          2) a sense of "Just listen to the music" about it, which I find very agreeable

Comment

• Edgy 2
            • Jan 2019

I used to own the Angeles Quartet box. I see it's no longer available (though I've only looked on amazon). Any recommendations for other Haydn SQ boxes/other things I should get?
            The only complete set I have is the Aeolian Quartet although a few years ago I paid half the price currently showing on Amazon.
            Coincidentally I've been working my way through the set again this last week or so.
            The last time I immersed in the cycle was when I used to work,again a few years ago,one quartet per drive,relistening now with certain quartets I can still recall what sort of day I had,usually bad,but Haydn certainly lifted my mood and made the journey to and from work less stressful
            “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Steinberg presently featured on Qobuz.....
              Qobuz is the world leader in 24-bit Hi-Res downloads, offering more than 100 million tracks for streaming in unequalled sound quality (FLAC 16 Bits / 44.1kHz)
              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 28-05-20, 18:15.

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
                The only complete set I have is the Aeolian Quartet although a few years ago I paid half the price currently showing on Amazon.
                Coincidentally I've been working my way through the set again this last week or so.
                The last time I immersed in the cycle was when I used to work,again a few years ago,one quartet per drive,relistening now with certain quartets I can still recall what sort of day I had,usually bad,but Haydn certainly lifted my mood and made the journey to and from work less stressful
                Thanks.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Haven't heard the latest Op.76, , but the Chiaroscuros' earlier Op.20 releases were outstanding....

Qobuz is the world leader in 24-bit Hi-Res downloads, offering more than 100 million tracks for streaming in unequalled sound quality (FLAC 16 Bits / 44.1kHz)

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    Haven't heard this latest, but their earlier releases were outstanding....
                    Listen to Chiaroscuro Quartet in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from £10.83/month

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/search?q...ydn&i=boutique
                    Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      Haven't heard the latest Op.76, , but the Chiaroscuros' earlier Op.20 releases were outstanding....

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/search?q...ydn&i=boutique
                      And they have craftily stolen a leap on the London Haydn Quartet, this time. The Chiaroscuro's Op. 20, 1 to 3 was indeed very fine.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          On the subject of "no longer available" or even "was it ever", I have been listening to a Sony CD I bought from the Kensington High Street Oxfam shop of Won Kim playing the Three movements from Petrushka, Gaspard de la nuit and Etudes-Tableaux Op. 39. O.K., it does say on the card slip-sheet holding the jewel case (replete with booklet in Korean and English) "NOT FOR SALE", so was probably a review copy, but searching the Internet for information regarding the disc brought up only two hits, one on a dodgy Russian download site and the other a Korean releases listing site which even Chrome did not offer to translate. I did, however, find the Stravinsky on Youtube (a comparison with another performance by 'Ullman').

Whatever happened to this Won Kim? The recording dates from June 2008.
                          I rather like Maurizio Pollini’s recording here. So much vitality to his interpretation.
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Piotr Beczala - ‘The French Collection’
                            Opera arias from Massenet, Berlioz, Verdi, Boieldieu, Donizetti, Gounod, Bizet

Piotr Beczala (tenor)
                            Orchestre de l’Opéra National de Lyon/Alain Altinoglu
                            with Diana Damrau, soprano (Manon duet)
                            Recorded 2014 Auditorium Maurice-Ravel, Lyon
                            Deutsche Grammophon

Vlado Perlemuter - Debussy - ‘Pour le piano’
                            Images sets 1 & 2
                            Ravel
                            Le tombeau de Couperin
                            Vlado Perlemuter (piano)
                            Recorded 1968 (Debussy) & 1970 (Ravel) BBC Studio, London
                            BBC Music Magazine CD
                            Last edited by Stanfordian; 29-05-20, 13:19.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                              I rather like Maurizio Pollini’s recording here. So much vitality to his interpretation.
                              Indeed. A true classic recording. I would not put Won Kim on a par with Pollini but his CD is well worth hearing, and not just for the Stravinsky. The copy I have only differs from a prime commercial release in that it has the "Not for sale" notice in the bottom right corner of the card sleeve around the jewel case. The insert and booklet have no such notice. I ask again, whatever happened to Won Kim, and indeed this release?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Indeed. A true classic recording. I would not put Won Kim on a par with Pollini but his CD is well worth hearing, and not just for the Stravinsky. The copy I have only differs from a prime commercial release in that it has the "Not for sale" notice in the bottom right corner of the card sleeve around the jewel case. The insert and booklet have no such notice. I ask again, whatever happened to Won Kim, and indeed this release?
                                Strange that he is not around anymore.

Bax
                                Symphony No.2 in Eminor.
                                BBC Symphony Orchestra
                                Eugene Goossens
                                Winter Legends
                                John McCabe(piano)
                                BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra
                                Raymond Leppard
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750