Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    ...the minimal epic......

​John Adams
    Naive and Sentimental Music.
    Royal Scottish NO/Oundjan. Chandos SACD 2018.

Reich
    The Desert Music.
    Chorus Sine Nomine/Tonkünstler-Orchester/K-Jarvi. Chandos SACD 2011.

"Say to them:
    [Humankind] has survived hitherto because [they] were
    too ignorant to know how to realise [their]
    wishes. Now that they can realise them, [they]
    must either change them or perish."

(Apologies for update to WCW...)
    I know that The Desert Music has come in for much disparagement since its composition but I have always thought it served its text well, and indeed, WCW ist der Dichter. I will have to revisit the Adams. I did not take to it at the time of its premiere but that was a fair old time ago.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      I know that The Desert Music has come in for much disparagement since its composition but I have always thought it served its text well, and indeed, WCW ist der Dichter. I will have to revisit the Adams. I did not take to it at the time of its premiere but that was a fair old time ago.
      Aways very fond of it - lovely music for strings and much else.....
      And that's a great alternative title!

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

​John Adams

Reich
        The Desert Music.
        Chorus Sine Nomine/Tonkünstler-Orchester/K-Jarvi. Chandos SACD 2011.

"Say to them:
        [Humankind] has survived hitherto because [they] were
        too ignorant to know how to realise [their]
        wishes. Now that they can realise them, [they]
        must either change them or perish."

(Apologies for update to WCW...but somehow I think he'd be OK with that...)
        Text of The Desert Music here (courtesy of a link in the BBC MM CD of a 1985 Proms performance, issued as Vol 25 No 1):

Composer contemporary music new music modern music 20th century music twentieth century music orchestral opera Dance contemporary dance repertoire news programme notes soundclips Bote & Bock Simrock Anton Benjamin composing books recording CD scores libretto biography performing programming broadcasting library student journalism press hire synopsis premiere compositeur
        Last edited by Pulcinella; 24-03-20, 17:13. Reason: Duplicated 'the' deleted!

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

Missa Solemnis cond. Klemperer with the Philharmonia and quite possibly the best Chorus around at the time. If you want something to brighten your day and enliven you, try the Gloria from the Philharmonia Chorus tenors entry on Quoniam tu, astounding intensity and the performance utterly gripping and incredibly powerful right to the final shout of 'Gloria'. What a stunning piece.

Comment

• Edgy 2
            • Jan 2019

Earl Wild
            The Romantic Master
            Virtuous Piano Transcriptions

Super stuff
            “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Boulez - orchestral Notations - Orchestre National de Lyon/Robertson

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

​John Adams

I]
                I rather like this CD, classic Adams.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• rauschwerk
                  • Nov 2010

Very much enjoying the Eloquence reissues of Campoli's Decca recordings from the 1950s. So far have heard the Tchaikovsky concerto (last mvt), Lalo Symphonie Espagnole, Sarasate Zigeunerweisen, Saint-Saens concerto 3 and the two well known shorter pieces, and the Beethoven concerto (with Krips). There's also a pair of discs of encores. All beautifully done and really well remastered. One can quite see why, when Campoli visited the USSR, he was spoken of in the same breath as Oistrakh.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Sonya Yoncheva - Handel
                    Arias from Giulio Cesare, Alcina, Theodora, Rodelinda, Agrippina & Rinaldo
                    Bonus track: Purcell aria When I am laid in earth from Dido and Aeneas
                    Sonya Yoncheva (soprano)
                    Academia Montis Regalis / Alessandro de Marchi
                    with Karine Deshayes (mezzo-soprano)
                    Recorded 2016 Academia Montis Regalis, Mondovi, Italy
                    Sony

Bridge
                    ‘Songs and Chamber Music’
                    Phantasie Piano Quartet, H94
                    Phantasie Piano Trio, H79
                    Scherzo for cello & piano
                    Souvenir for violin & piano
                    8 songs with piano
                    3 Songs with viola
                    Ivan Ludlow (baritone); Tom Dunn (viola)
                    London Bridge Ensemble
                    Recorded 2007, Wathen Hall, St. Paul’s School, London
                    Dutton Epoch

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

....Three Threesomes....

Reich ​Three Movements for Orchestra
                      Tonkünstler-Orchester/K-Jarvi. Chandos SACD 2011.

Elliott Carter A Symphony of Three Orchestras.
                      NYPO/Boulez. Sony CD 1995, rec. 1977..

Reich ​Triple Quartet (version for 36 Strings).
                      O.N de Lyon/Robertson. Naive CD 2004.

Forgotten what a fascinating, often texturally beautiful instrumental drama the Carter is....with a stunningly explosive, elemental ending...the recording is excellent in its 3D display of the evolving blend and separation the three groups. Must repeat soon!
                      The middle movement of the Reich Quartet ​is one his loveliest creations.....

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

....Three Threesomes....

Reich ​Three Movements for Orchestra
                        Tonkünstler-Orchester/K-Jarvi. Chandos SACD 2011.

Elliott Carter A Symphony of Three Orchestras.
                        NYPO/Boulez. Sony CD 1995, rec. 1977..

Reich ​Triple Quartet (version for 36 Strings).
                        O.N de Lyon/Robertson. Naive CD 2004.

Forgotten what a fascinating, often texturally beautiful instrumental drama the Carter is....with a stunningly explosive, elemental ending...the recording is excellent in its 3D display of the evolving blend and separation the three groups. Must repeat soon!
                        The middle movement of the Reich Quartet ​is one his loveliest creations.....
                        The Carter is indeed a very fine piece...

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                          The Carter is indeed a very fine piece...
                          As is the Reich Triple Quartet though I don't know this version.

Disc 3 of the Nonesuch retrospective is really fabulous.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            As is the Reich Triple Quartet though I don't know this version. . .
                            It was the string orchestra version of Different Trains that is also on the disc jlw referred to is what eventually dragged me to some appreciation of that work. I still do not find the way the sampled speech is used particularly convincingly but the body of the strings orchestra melded better with the train sounds, I think. I also may have rebelled against the argument that it was good because of its subject. My reaction was "No! It'a how it serves that subject that matters". To me, the weight and timbre of a string orchestra more directly communicates with the ear. That said, I have since come to find considerable depth in the Smith Quartet's performances of the work.

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

The choir of Westminster Cathedral sing Morten Lauridsen's stunningly beautiful setting of O Magnum Mysterium during Midnight Mass 2009. O magnum mysteriumet...

The singing, not the ritual. And NOT the Card Arch.

Comment

• Constantbee
                                • Jul 2017

More music to soothe the savage beast. A selection from recommendations from secretary of the local music society. His notes, not mine :

1: Trauermarsch
                                Siegfried’s Trauermarsch - “Götterdämmerung” Wagner - Vienna Philharmonic, Georg Solti

Video showing Vienna Horns in F and Wagner Tuben, they are correctly called Wagner TUBEN (TUBE singular) (as in TUBES) and not TUBAS actually. Time and the n...

... historic (?1965) recording of Solti in rehearsal ... This has real drama, emotional impact and fizz ...

3: Scherzo
                                Chopin Etude Op10 No1 - Evgeny Kissin

Evgeny Kissin playing 8 of Chopin's Etudes from op. 10 and op. 25, live in Moscow in 2009. This recital was in memory of Yevgeny Svetlanov, and at the end Ki...

What can I say to those of you that haven’t yet done their morning piano practice on C major right hand arpeggios - get to it! This post gives you 8 of the Etudes in one hit.

4: Adagietto
                                Pavel Chesnokov - Salvation is Created - sung by Voces8 in the fabulously ornate Cathedral Basilica in St Louis, Missouri.

VOCES8 sings Pavel Tschesnokoff's 'Spaséñiye, sodélal' (Salvation is created) in the ornate Cathedral Basilica in St Louis, MO.The video forms part of the gr...

5: Rondo Finale
                                Gert van Hoef improvises on the Henry Willis & Sons organ in Liverpool Cathedral.

website http://www.gertvanhoef.nl/.Opname: 13 augustus 2015Gert van Hoef verkent het Henry Willis & Sons organ in Liverpool.Geniet van de majestueuze klanken...

This extraordinary young Dutchman has posted a number of improvisations on Youtube. Improvisation is much more of a skill in Europe - particularly France viz. Pierre Cochereau, Jean Langlais, Daniel Roth and Olivier Latry ... Here we have a 13 minute Mahlerian piece culminating in what is an entirely appropriate and instantly recognisable theme played (from about 9.00).
                                And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

Working...
                                X