X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    ​...life wasn't always easy.... but there was an outbreak..... a serious situation has been created.... how will life go on....?...

​Schoenberg
    Piano Concerto (1942).
    Pollini/BPO/Abbado/DGCD rec. 1988.

Weill Symphony No.2 (1933-4).
    DDK Bremen/Beaumont. Chandos SACD 2006.
    You don’t always choose cheery music Jayne!

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      ​...life wasn't always easy.... but there was an outbreak..... a serious situation has been created.... how will life go on....?...

​Schoenberg
      Piano Concerto (1942).
      Pollini/BPO/Abbado/DGCD rec. 1988.

Weill Symphony No.2 (1933-4).
      DDK Bremen/Beaumont. Chandos SACD 2006.

Yes, very apposite Jayne .

The Schoenberg would be a great start point for one of those Gramophone “ What Next” features.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Béla Anton Leoš Fleck: The Impostor Concerto (Béla Fleck, Nashville Symphony Orchestra, Giancarlo Guerrero)

followed by

Béla Anton Leoš Fleck: Night Flight Over Water (Béla Fleck, Brooklyn Rider)

both in memory if the late Carole Finer who was a great admirer of Fleck's musicianship.

Last edited by Bryn; 21-03-20, 21:40. Reason: Typo

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Watch out Bbm and the Classical police will be arresting you!
          Indeed, only classical music on here please. Can any hosts change the title of this thread to What Classical Music are you Listening to Now III, so it is plainly obvious what this thread is all about please?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
            Indeed, only classical music on here please. Can any hosts change the title of this thread to What Classical Music are you Listening to Now III, so it is plainly obvious what this thread is all about please?
            All done, BBM. Apologies!

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              All done, BBM. Apologies!

I've not contributed here recently, not out of pique but because, as a retired staff nurse, I've been called back to deal with the Coronavirus threat so I've not been listening to anything. Still, I'm glad to see there's important and valuable work being done here in my absence.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                I've not contributed here recently, not out of pique but because, as a retired staff nurse, I've been called back to deal with the Coronavirus threat so I've not been listening to anything. Still, I'm glad to see there's important and valuable work being done here in my absence.
                Very much in the firing line pg - do take care and stay as safe as you can! Your contribution cannot be underestimated!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

PG - we are all deeply in debt to you and your colleagues. I hope that NHS Lothian is adequately equipped with the right kind of protection for all of you. And, above all, stay healthy! And just have Igor Oistrakh playing the Tchaikovsky VC in your head - "What Classical Music Are You (Virtually) Listening To Now" in case the forum "host" gets exercised about such posts.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    Very much in the firing line pg - do take care and stay as safe as you can! Your contribution cannot be underestimated!
                    At the risk of being relegated forever to Pedants' Paradise, and hoping that cloughie will not mind my 'correction', I fear that the contributions of NHS staff (amongst others) ARE being underestimated.
                    Let us all sing their praises: their contributions cannot be overestimated.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                      PG - we are all deeply in debt to you and your colleagues. I hope that NHS Lothian is adequately equipped with the right kind of protection for all of you. And, above all, stay healthy! And just have Igor Oistrakh playing the Tchaikovsky VC in your head - "What Classical Music Are You (Virtually) Listening To Now" in case the forum "host" gets exercised about such posts.
                      I totally 'second' your comments and sentiments.

Thanks to pg, and all like him.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

May I say one thing? Please self isolate!

The results are not pretty.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                          • Nov 2010

Mozart's Idomeneo, sung in English, picked up for a fiver in a Chandos sale. Lots of wonderful music, but I find the plot a bit hard to take with its god (Neptune) and its sea-monster. In the same sale I got Menotti's Saint of Bleecker Street which is more to my taste as drama.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

How beautifully put pg...... we must keep listening, keep communicating....... remember when you discovered the Enescu Octet with the Vilde Frang recording last year? Well there's an even better one out now, one of the best ever, from Gringolts/Meta4.... one to seek out when you're finally off the frontline...

Good luck as you continue to protect us all, and try to protect yourself if you can..... and to all the brave souls, there at the very edge, in the NHS...
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 22-03-20, 14:30.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Also Mozart but in my case the Gran Partita (Royal Academy of Music Soloists Ensemble/Trevor Pinnock).

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

La Traviata- Freni and Gardelli apparently the sound track from a film from the 1970s - she is utterly marvellous in the role Sempre Libera is stupendous.

Comment

Working...
                                X